Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Saxondog
Captain

Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by Saxondog »

This is a new limited edition kit by Trumpeter in 1/200 scale. I have been waiting for this kit and one from Lindberg in 1/144scale.

But considering the History of both companies the Lindberg kit seems a risk, so the 1/200 scale Arizona is the choice I have made,here are some pictures of the Kit.

cheers Saxondog
U.S.S. Arozona Battleship 1 200 scale 006.JPG
U.S.S. Arozona Battleship 1 200 scale 012.JPG
U.S.S. Arozona Battleship 1 200 scale 021.JPG
U.S.S. Arozona Battleship 1 200 scale 018.JPG
U.S.S. Arozona Battleship 1 200 scale 032.JPG
Zen Badger
Recruit

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by Zen Badger »

Lindberg are still going?

I thought they'd gone bust years ago.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

That looks like an excellent kit and perfect for r/c. It's the size I usually build in for my scale models. What I have found is that rather than drive using four motor/propellors I drive the two inner shafts with one esc. It'll be a good winter project.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The lindberg kit is not put yet but I decided against it and this kit is limited so I committed to buy this one. That another great thing about the local shop, if your an older customer and have a good relationship they will shelf kits for you to buy over time. They knew I wanted this kit and had already marked it for me. And their prices are generally less than online.

I do intend to RC this kit,the ECS idea is how my Nichimo 1/200 Yamato is set up, instead of the single motor driving a gearbox driving all four props. Which was also to loud. This kit is really nice and well worth the money. Metal gun barrels,railings,radar and many other PE parts,their is also a extra set of PE parts for the MK Directors.

I decided to shelf this kit for Christmas and will not start this project for some time as my 1/350 RC Arizona has not been started,my 1/350 Hood is only a 1/3 rd off the way finished and my Second PT109 1/32 SCALE from Lindberg is still in the box.

The other Arizona was a Christmas gift last year,the RMS Hood was a Birthday gift last Nov.4th so it may seem like I have alot of stuff but really it has taken years to acquire these kits.

Like my Tanks 2 years 4 tanks and the King Tiger Porsche Turret was a great deal from Bubbajoexx as was the Henschel KT. So I/m poor and blessed to have people who care(wife and kids) and other forum mates that have helped me build my tanks without wasting time or money by avoiding mistakes. cheers Saxondog
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

That's great and certainly will keep you busy. I've not tried gearboxes for ships actually and just gone with two motors, esc and a mixer. This is my latest under construction which is HMS Anson in 1/200. Obviously you have to guess a bit at the moment but it's the frames for the hull and keel from 1/8th plywood. The ship is about 4 ft long and the wood working glue pot might give an idea of the size of the ship.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I forgot to re-size the image.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

HMS Anson, sister ship HMS Howe? Laid down but never completed? King George V class? Laid down 1940, Originally to be named Jellicoe and broken up in 1947? This is interesting, I have been building ships forever. But never in wood except for a plank on frame Constitution in 1/96.

Is this scratch build project? Keep posting as this is interesting.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

Yes that's the one and was Prince of Wales another of the King George V Class or have I just made that up? Yes it's scratchbuilt ship as that's all I do working from drawings and the next stage is to make the plank on frame hull, then the planked deck. I'll make castings for the guns from resin as I already have patterns and castings for carley floats and things like that for other ships I have built. It's good when making a number of similar items, rather than making each one piece meal.

I'll post photographs as work progresses.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Your correct dylan about Prince of Wales. Sadly that ship came to an Historic end. I have been studying Naval history for many years and have a fine collection of book. Dreadnoughts are my main interest, they were the most advanced machines on the planet for decades. Sadly only one left,U.S.S. Texas. But she is well taken care of,had a major restoration spending a year in dry dock. Completely repairing her lower hull. The the decks which had been replaced by concrete were replaced with the original wooden deck.

I would really like to see your ships,I have not ever built a wooden Battleship but it is very interesting.One other sad thing,the picture of USS Texas shows her mooring,which is the same battlefield where Americans defeated the Mexican Army after the Alamo battle. This battle established the Southern border of the USA. Now it is just forgotten battle fought by forgotten Americans.

Last first generation Dreadnought USS Texas
Last first generation Dreadnought USS Texas
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Dylan another point of interest about Battleships, the USS North Carolina is a museum ship along with two PT-BOATS.The USS ALABAMA is a museum ship with a nice armor and aircraft collection. USS New Jersey is a museum ship,USS Missouri is a museum ship although both these are still commissioned warship as are the other two Iowa class Battleship. USS Iowa and Wisconsin are at anchor, one near San Francisco and I think Iowa is near Norfolk Virginia, Which now seems to be a museum ship.
http://www.usswisconsin.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BB62,BB63,CGN9.jpg
BB62,BB63,CGN9.jpg (72.44 KiB) Viewed 9596 times
USS-IOWA.jpg
USS-IOWA.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 9596 times

Return to “Warships”