Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by Saxondog »

I understand about the size,I could never build in that scale the way some guy's do,the pictures are so clear and such small detail.Even in 1.350 I wear a magnified eye visor with a lighted function.My eye sight has gotten bad in the last two years due to this computer. The resin looks great,I can look up any Dreadnought and give you details as I have several books,let me correct that I have over 10 books on the battleships and Dreadnought ERA.

I just can't understand the decline in pride of the UK government, The French were saved in two world wars and should not be offended about any Naval action involving the British, England did not ask to be attacked by the combined fleets of France and Spain,or for that matter the earlier battles with the Dutch fleet. At least the Dutch fought on equal terms. And I recall the Great Harry burned in the MEDWAY by the Dutch who broke a chain and captured several ships by their own efforts. But I had better be careful as my distrust of the French might cause a problem.

Back to ships I won a Life-like hobby 1/350 Yamato with the four shaft gearbox and motor for 9.99 on E-Bay. It is moulded in the most ugly green but everything seems in tact and I was surprised by my low bid winning. I have the Arizona in 1/350 also to match the 1/200 scale,now I have a Yamato to match the 1/200 scale of that ship. That is if I ever build them? Your ship is coming along,I do recall seeing a picture of the Invincible with gun mounts on the turrets,like maybe 4"guns. I will do some research as I have a book on the battle cruisers only and perhaps I can scan some photos for you, cheers Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Painting instructions for USS Arizona 1/200 scale,I am thinking the pre-1941 Grey with White tops on the observation towers,no Red Turrets. But I am still not committed to a specific Era.
USS Arizona Paint schemes 1/200 scale
USS Arizona Paint schemes 1/200 scale
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I have done a little more work on the model and couldn't wait any longer and had to give the hull a quick blast of primer. The other parts are being worked on and you've done well with your e-bay purchase and funny how some ship kit manufacturers choose unbelievable colours of their plastic. Green ideal for grey hull with red anti foul. Looking at the colour scheme you have in mind for the ship two things strike me. How dark the grey is and what a superb contrast with the red. I am building a Hood at the moment and have the White Ensign Models colour coat AP507a correct shade for Hood, but when applied it looks ever so dark compared to the colour photos and film footage of the ship.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake, after what seems like a delay of ............ I have finally extracted the patterns from the mould and cast my HMS Invincible. Of course having cast it I couldn't resist starting the painting process. I just need to work out the colour of the upper decks. I wasn't sure of they were corticene, or dark grey, so a bit of research needed.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Wow Dylan,am I late to the party. My ship is still in the box,I started the S-boat and it has been sitting. Let's touch base I would really like to see you progress, Blake
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake,

As a change to my usual modelling of late I thought I'd try and do a bit more on the dreadnought and I have made a sea scape. My aim is to get it finished and in a perspex box as soon as possible. I noticed that White Ensign Models sell useful etches for handrails and things like that for HMS Hood in 1/600/1/700 scale, so when it's ready I'll invest in those for the detailing. It's a small scale though and does take some getting used to. I am not convinced on the deck colour yet either. However I am pleased with how the resin moulds have come out.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Decided to build a 1/350 version of the USS Arizona I have had for some time,this will help in planning the 1/200 scale version and give me a chance to observe the paint work before committing on the 1/200 scale version. The U.S.S.Arizona had a long career of conversions,from her launching to her death at least 5 major upgrades over three decades.

The 1/350 version will be a mid=1930.s period fitting with the basic pacific paintwork of a light Gray hull and superstructure on all sufaces,and plain light sand wooden deck,and the same light Gray on the main guns,no turret top recognition paintwork,and the standard peacetime cruise appearance,If this works out the 1/200 scale kit will be painted the same. Many have this kit and most have chosen the instruction sheet art work with the RED turret tops,and the Dark sea blue color,I prefer the pre=war peace time light Gray.
U.S.S.Arizona hull
U.S.S.Arizona hull
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

When base colors painted and the hull sections are prepared for mating,the water line will be added to hide any imperfections in the hull section.Fit seems pretty good. After the glue dries I will use a series of lead pencils to high light the different contours of the hull,gun ports,port holes,the armor belt and the torpedo bulges along with the shading effects. After that the hull will be sprayed with a dull coating and sealed.

Then the fun stuff the deck sections will be painted,that technique is one I learned a long time ago and will consider sharing in a separate build thread.
U.S.S.Arizona 1-350 scale hull paint stage 1 005.JPG
U.S.S.Arizona 1-350 scale hull paint stage 1 007.JPG
U.S.S.Arizona 1-350 scale hull paint stage 1 008.JPG
U.S.S.Arizona 1-350 scale hull paint stage 1 009.JPG
FreakyDude
Corporal

Post by FreakyDude »

my favorite pic is the broadside with the craters in the water from the shell blast.
I believe that says it all with battleships.
Saxondog keep the pics coming on your build.
A Joke is a very serious thing
Winston Churchill
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

I've been busy with the conversion of the Elco into a more modern class of boat and I have not been very active on the forum recently, but things are looking good on the buld of the Arizona. Pure dreadnought and it must a large and quite impressive looking vessel I must say.

Return to “Warships”