Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by Saxondog »

That is why I am considering selling Yamato,10years that ship has been in storage. Now with this new interest in Japan of the Yamato and their very excellent 1/10 scale model of the ship the first generation Nichimo kits have a wide market. It's odd because the Nichimo kit is in and out of production.

If you guy's have not watched the movie about Yamato please do,it is the best war movie about the ship and that type of ship in battle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyhRc-p ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I guess a lot of interest stems from it being a nice model and also there is a magazine series "Build the Yamoto" on sale at the moment here in the UK. I suppose you have got it in the states as well, but you build it in a number of parts over a period of two yrs or 180 issues at £5.00 per issue. You buy a magazine and the bits monthly until it's complete. It looks good but the parts alone cost £700 pounds. They did one for the Bismarck some yrs ago, but a bit out of my price range and I'd build my own from plans if I wanted one, or buy the 1/128 semi-kit as I am impatient and couldn't wait two yrs for all of the parts.

LMN118 I am sure you will have no problems in selling your collection though looking at the kits that you have got and even better if you get free e-bay listing.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Nichimo Has A revised edition kit out for the Yamato@ 695.oo and their are a few on e-bay of the older kit like mine for 350 and 500. I think the mail order company is the same one on e-bay that offers nicely made cast resin guns,and detail parts for the Yamato. I have been considering these parts as a few gun houses and barels are missing from my ship.

I has been instorage for so long I'm sure it will need a good cleaning. Still an excellent kit if you could ever get one,super detail and a solid one piece hull,very thick and strong. The drive is noisy as it is a gear box driven by one 540 motor which drive all 4 props. Main gun turn and elevate as does the range finder. About 6 aircraft and as many boats. The search lights work and the superstructure tower which was huge on this class has lighting on the main bridge. All considered it is a very well made kit.

The 1/10 scale version in the museum is really nice and of course built perfect. http://yamato.kure-city.jp/english/e-index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Forgot about this company,AREO-NAUT they have some large scale ships including Bismarck and my favourite ship Tirpitz.
AERO=NAUT MODEL TIRPITZ.jpg
AERO=NAUT MODEL TIRPITZ.jpg (2.55 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
AERO=NUAT BISMARCK.jpg
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I've built an aeronaut kit and they are very good models kits with excellent castings and parts. Deans Marine are very good as well. They have many WW1 as well as WW2 models in their range, so well worth a look at their website if you get the chance. It's the fittings that make all the difference isn't it and can turn a good model into a superb one, so it might be worth dusting down the old model and give it a bit of a spruce up, before then perhaps selling it.

Trouble is that when I do that, or plan on selling a model I've not seen it for a while. I dig it out give it a spruce buy extra parts, list it and then change my mind a de-list it and keep it.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Same here Dylan,that kit and the Fletcher class destroyer has sentimental value as well. I would very much like the older dreadnoughts if I could find the Delaware which was the only class to have five turrets with the rear three in an odd arrangement,the x turret was super firing(mounted higher) and y,z were back to back one facing forward the other facing back.

next class Florida and Utah were the same arrangement.Then the Arkansas and Wyoming had 6 turrets in the standard super firing pairs of one higher than the other facing the conventional way. Last their was Texas and New York five turrets the rear three were low high low all facing back.

And the first ships to have larger guns 14" until that class all US ships had 12"guns max. These with South Carolina and Michigan were our first 8 dreadnoughts. I have never seen a model of any of these ships with exception of Texas and that was 1/700 scale.

It would be grand to build these first generation dreadnoughts,but like the original Dreadnought the were quickly out classed,Dreadnought was not even with the grand fleet but deployed as a channel fleet ship considered obsolete as a first rate ship.

I will check out Deans Marine,it would also be grand to built Argincourt the "Gin Palace" which was the only one to have seven turrets as you well know,but I cannot recall seeing that ship in kit form of any scale? Odd since these ships we unique in the development of the dreadnoughts. Maybe in my old age retirement I could scratch build one of each class? cheers Blake
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I had a quick look at the Delaware on wikipedia and apart from the incredibly scary main and rear masts I couldn't see much to trap the unwary modeller. The hull design looks fairly straightforward. It would be good to see an actual plan/three view of course and in 1/700 waterline it helps as you can half the work on the hull. My dreadnought is now in a moulding box and covered in silicone rubber. I am hoping that it moulds ok, so that I can then add plate lines, port holes and anyhting else I have missed, before a recast. I am still looking at the plan for the 1/200 version and desp to start on that, but I've got other projects to complete.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Dylan,check out XRADS steam engine and Tug Boat build,very cool.

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... =25&t=7094" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Blake,

Yes I had a look at that. I've built two steam engines in Railway Gauge 1 both meths fired and have a Mamod Steam Car, but not ever tried steam on the water. Probably terrified that something will happen in the middle of the lake, but that's just me and nothing beats the sound and smell of steam. The one thing I found was when I scratchbuilt my first single clinder engine it took a while to set it up so that it ran smoothly. Once it was sorted though, it worked well and I went on and built a twin cyliinder. It's a lovely looking engine and it will be great to follow the build thread.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

I agree the workmanship is very impressive. Xrad does speak about the Dumas kit being junk,he may need some of your experienced advice? cheers Blake

Return to “Warships”