Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by dylan9391 »

Amazing photos of the ships firing their guns awesome stuff. I've been lucky through my various careers to have been involved at some time with the Royal Navy working for the Ministry of Defence in the UK and did go on HMS Ark Royal on a refit to Babcock in Rosyth and under the Forth Railway bridge. I'm an ex light engineer, so my interest has always been in how things are made, but with a bent towards ships, and aircraft in the larger scales. Back to my model and deck planking continues.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Sorry hull planking continues. Not thought about the deck yet.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Very Interesting,are you referring to the Bridge in Scotland that is spanning a river? The engineering is what really interest me as well. Floating thousands of tonnes of steal is amazing, not to mention the power plants in these ships.

As for the planking it seems that you apply the strips as tight as possible but I assume their is some type of coating applied after the stripping is complete?

The plans you are using are they produced with figures for a certain scale or is it necessary to determine your own scale and the proper dimensions of the parts based on the scale chosen.

Also do you have a link to a preferred vendor for the plans? Thanks
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Yes it's the large span railway bridge and I've spent time working in light engineering before working with the military, so I always enjoy making things.

Yes it's important to keep the planks tight held with jigs and clamps in place otherwise you are creating work for yourself later. Once the planks have been fitted I will razor plane and lightly sand the planks with a soft block to a smooth shape using a gauge to make sure that the section lines and waterlines are accurate. You also have to be careful not to gouge the planks, otherwise you end up having to fill any depressions. I don't mind car body type filler, but I avoid it if I can. Assuming it's ok I'll seal it with SP Systems marine resin. Once the balsa is sealed I can add the hull plating and it should then be ready for paint. Funny how that has taken about 5 mins to write, but is probably about 4hrs work, if not longer.

For modern warships I use Jecobin Plans as they offer ships in 1/192 and 1/96 scale. Luckily for me Model Boats magazine has a plan service and both HMS Hood and Inflexible were both available in 1/200 scale, drawn by David Metcalfe. HMS Anson plan was from the Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London and had to be scaled up to 1/200. Scaling up or down isn't a problem and with photocopier if you know a dimension it's easy to manipulate the image up, or down. One thing about these drawings, is that while they are designed for the model maker you are unlikely to get step by step instructions. HMS Hood is an exception as it has many useful drawings and tips to help the modeller. I.e. using dressmaking pins for bollards and things like that.

As a break from making the hull earlier this evening I started on the superstructure.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks Dylan, I will be looking for some plans for South Carolina class or Maybe Texas. cheers
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Good luck and I am sure that plans won't be a problem for such attractive looking vessels. Hope to continue with planking the back of the ship today all being well so that I can finish the basic hull by the end of the weekend.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Sounds good Dylan. please post some pictures, Sax
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I've added a few more planks today but it's drying on the assembly jig at the moment, so I am leaving well alone ad will post a pic tomorrow. I was surfing on the web and found a book, that might be of interest to you, or me even. Thunderer: Building a Model Dreadnought - William Mowll. While it focuses on British Dreadnoughts and his superb 1/96 museum quality model, he also discusses and features USS Texas.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

With working progressing well on the hull, I've just started on the superstructure. The front part of the hull is largely complete now, just needs razor planing and sanding and making sure that the hull is straight to the deck, so the next stage is to continue with the rear. I've decided to go with the balsa block at the back to get the nice stern shape.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

OK looking good Dylan, I see the bow is straight forward (pardon the pun) and the stripes come together without some other type of balsa like a block shaped to the bow. But the aft section or stern will be a large block shaped.how much forward will the block extend?

-

Return to “Warships”