Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Re: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship Arizona

Post by dylan9391 »

Here is a couple of photos of the vessel. It's about five foot long and has left for pastures new and very different from the Elco after a lot of work on the hull and completely revamped superstructure. I have a few more photographs of the vessel under construction if anybody is interested. Sax I might finally get to finish my Prince of Wales ship, or at least the hull anyway.Image
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hi Dylan,I have two I'm building the 1/350 as a test for the 1/200. Many have built the 1/200 as designed or rather the modernized version.I have a photo of Arizona as completed,1919. This is the version I want to pursue. It does require some drastic alteration.

Especially the entire second deck,the tri=pod mast,the bridge structure all were changed in the 1930's. The original did not have the boat deck at all but rather 10 large ventilation hoods. Not sure yet,the 1/350 is built up to the boat deck and stopped.The main wooden deck was a bit difficult as it is a very light color,and the deck fittings were so small. Here are a few picture,I've had both these kits for a year or more with little progress. The Hood is complete,as is the S10 Schnellboot.
U.S.S.Arizona 1919 fitting out completion
U.S.S.Arizona 1919 fitting out completion
Mini Hobby 1/350 USS Arizona
Mini Hobby 1/350 USS Arizona
Main Deck Boat deck painted
Main Deck Boat deck painted
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Dylan,Do post the pictures,I checked out your Photo bucket album,the Spitefire is amazing,to bad it will not fly,your some close to the original air frame it is unfortunate it cannot be a flying version. The Patrol boat looks great,really have some skill with your hands and the layout and fiber glass work,excellent work.

I still have the other PT109 Kit from Lindberg, thought about the Mediterranean DAZZLE pattern for that one. But that is another of my un-built kits that is not on the building list.

The 1/200 Arizona is such a nice kit,but many have by now built this as the 1941 version. What are your thoughts on my idea to construct it as the 1919 original version,yet more specifically the "CAGE MAIN MAST"construction material? I have considered wire,and also Evergreen plastic round and Half round material. But the pattern is difficult to get correct as the cross trusses and the observation and Search light platforms have the lattice work passing through them?

I guess if you can build a Spitfire I can build these mast :thumbup: cheers mate,Blake
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Dylan,check out this link sent from my friend Don at Mid South Hobbies,wooded decks now available for my 1/200 Arizona. Price is 100.00us but considering the amount of work the decks require it is a valuable asset. Here is the link,cheers

How about the Spitfire,are we ready to fly?
http://nautilusmodels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/battleships/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Sax,

I wish the aeroplane was ready to fly, but I hope to get there in a reasonable amount of time. I have been busy working on a 1/32 scale Eurofighter for an American exchange pilot and an armoured bulldozer for another customer. In the last few days I have been busy preparing the workshop so that I can start covering the wings on the Spitfire, so it's making jigs for me at the moment. Thanks for the links by the way and wooden decks look so much better than the plastic equivalent. Trumpeter make them for the Hood and KGV etc.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hi. Dylan, My 1/350 Arizona has many defects,the assembly has the aerials on the wrong side of the Tower structures and the Trumpeter kit seems to not have these inaccurate assemblies.

The 1/350 wooden decks would have been better but just could not afford them,I spent alot of time on the 1/350 Arizona's deck,but on the 1/200 scale the wooden decks are a must,and one I will afford. This kit is very expensive and to complete it will be around 700.00us including the Brass Barrels,PE.Kits and wooden decks,plus the radio and drive system.

I plan to start this build the 1st week in March, the weather should be better and the economy should be stable.

As for the fight test,to bad their is only room for one. cheers Blake
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

love both of your ships, hoping to find a decent scale royal oak to build as my great uncle died in her engine room at scapa flow. havent got the skills to scratch build it though.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Jeff,I know alot more naval History than I will every be able to know about tanks,been to just about every ship museum in this country. 800 mem died in that ship,it was a scandal and it was a fine ship,their are several 1/350 kits of her available. But you should talk with Dylan,he is a very skilled modeller,and would be interested to know about your uncle.

Dylan,like me loves the battleships,hell the tank turret design was ship inspired. But the Royal Navy did produce more than any other nation,and in the short period of but 18 years built a fleet of 24 dreadnoughts,think of that,no computers,and just built by hand,all of them massive building projects. Dreadnought built in 366 days,first of her design,wiped out the entire royal navy over night,yet they knew they could out build any one, Britain also built other dreadnoughts for other countries as well during those years.amazing craftsmanship,just amazing.

Do ask Dylan,hell he may have an example of her already built. Thanks for the complement! cheers
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

was a shame about the oak, but gunther prien was a skillful u boat commander but got a lucky hit on her. he was sunk three months later i think. the sonar shots of her are amazing, you can see the torpedo holes clearly. not sure where they are on the net but i saw them in a diving magazine.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Guys,

The oak was a very impressive ship indeed and I recall seeing on a dvd/television programme the oak rolling over after being torpedoed. Is the 1/350 scale model of the Oak a good likeness of the ship, or put it another way who makes the kit.

Return to “Warships”