New mancave first project - Flower Class corvette 3d print

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

New mancave first project - Flower Class corvette 3d print

Post by AlwynTurner »

The new mancave is now operational and my first project is influenced by the proximity of a large model boat lake just up the road

When I started the project using stl files purchased from a US site I didn't truly understand the size of the beast which now sits at 1300 cms long and used 2.5 kg of filament so far and has taken 2 weeks of 24 hour printing, and still a long way to go, but it is a beautifully detailed model and a credit to it's designer.

Lots of fun still to be had on this one.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: New mancave first project - Flower Class corvette 3d pri

Post by Jimster »

That looks awesome! I’m looking forward to seeing her maiden voyage.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A Mancave :clap: :clap: :clap: I like this project very much but I am surprised you had to access a US site for the files because it is a well known fact that the "Drawings are in the Dock office" or was that the Castle class? :haha: :haha:
Sorry but it is one of my favourite films :thumbup:
Keep us up to date with progress Alwyn please.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The reason for buying from the website is that there were a COMPLETE set of stl files for all the components right down to the depth charges, plus it also included a detailed set of construction notes so it's a bit like buying an airfix kit but you have to 3d print all the bits.

So far I am amazed by the detail and the accuracy of all the parts (having said that I have probably called down the constructors curse on the whole project!).

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Looking good Alwyn, nice to have you back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Post by Biasphere1 »

G'day Alwyn how are ya mate ?
That's from Ben's Works on CGTrader I think , I've made the same model . Mate Ben is an awesome dude too and will answer any Q if he can.
I glassed my hull too mate as I made mine from PLA and glassing it sealed the hull. If you're building PLA be careful with sanding or routing holes , say portholes as it just can build up and be gunky.
Any questions I'll answer if I can.
Cheers.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes the model came from Bens worx on CG Trader and what an excellent purchase that proved to be. I had to resin coat the inside of the hull to make it waterproof as it leaked like a collander. I was most confused as how can a plastic hull put together with loads of pc weld and contacta glue still leak? :wtf: :crazy: 8O

The problem then arose that the resin pulled the hull out of shape and I had to put back in all the supports I had (on following the instructions) removed. All is now well and the deck now fits on the hull as it should. I discovered that one of the deck panels was 9mm too long and had to trim it between the smoke stack building and the chart room as otherwise the deck panels didn't fit.

Anyway printing continues (pretty much round the clock) and the model is coming together beautifully.

I'll post some more pics later

Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Post by Biasphere1 »

Yea that's why I brought up myself glassing my hull inner and outer , tried to catch you before you did and advise you on a very a very cold mix of glass resin mate , lol.
Ben (Levi) is such a great bloke too mate , he might have the sh!ts with me as I talked him into making the Castle Class files but haven't bought the files from him yet , he sent me them free but I didn't go that way as I'll pay when I grab the files from him. The Castle Class is basically an improved Flower Class another evolution or iteration if you will and It's taken all of my won't power not to just grab the STL's and hook it up.
He sent me the Fletcher class files as well but I really wanted to make a tank right now, so for files from him I'm 1 for 3 but we'll get there. .I'm going to make the Fletcher when I do it at 1/48 as well as I have a big printer .
This 3D printing thing is a buzz when It's working right but there's been times when I've gone "why won't it work" lol scratching my head sadly and there's sometimes I get it going again but not sure how .
Anways Alwyn great stuff mate and keep us in the loop please.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

What a great ship and a gorgeous "man cave." I love the looks of new wood and as it darkens and weathers it takes on dignity. Egad! There are so many geniuses here on RCTW.
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

I've known Ben many years & he does excellent work. Have been lobbying to come up with something out of the ordinary like the old USN four stacker destroyers that served from WWI into the WW2 with several notable encounters, ie, USS Ward which fired the first shot at Pearl Harbor to HMS Campbeltown of the Saint Nazaire Raid. In addition to his 3DP work, he's a fan of scale sail & owns a lovely Bluenose schooner that he built.

By the way, to show how small this world truly is, Ben's wife is the daughter of the former mayor of Hangzhou where I reside. His father-in-law was mayor the years leading up to 1937 when the Japanese arrived & made a royal mess of things. Ben's father served with distinction in the Pacific with the US Army 41st Division driving the Japanese out of New Guinea in 1944.

Return to “Warships”