HMT Queen Mary the Grey Ghost

If you have any non-RC warships that you would like to show, post them here!
citroenzxdriver
Recruit

Re: HMT Queen Mary the Grey Ghost

Post by citroenzxdriver »

Thank you all for your kind comments, my model depicts the Queen Mary travelling from New York to Gourock Scotland on a night in Devember 1942 with over 16000 troops & crew on board. On this night she was hit by a rouge wave that was over 95 feet tall. This wave broke windows on the bridge and caused other minor damage and also caused her to roll, by some accounts over 50 degrees! Fortunatety she righted herself and continued on her way. This is my take on that night. Working out the size of a scale 95 foot wave just looked too big to be believable, not wanting to suffer the wrath of the rivet counters I scaled back the size of the wave.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

All the most recent evidence, including that gathered by a ROV (at a depth in excess of 9,000 ft 8O), shows that the explosion that split the Hood in half, occurred in the aft part of the ship. A contemporary sketch by the Captain of the Prince of Wales, Capt. Leach, also indicated an explosion in the aft magazine. :| Such a shame. :thumbdown:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

citroenzxdriver wrote:Working out the size of a scale 95 foot wave just looked too big to be believable, not wanting to suffer the wrath of the rivet counters I scaled back the size of the wave.
It doesn't take much imagination for the viewer to imagine the ship being at the point of diving under, and the wave breaking up and over the bow. It certainly brings to mind footage of fleet aircraft carriers bobbing up and down like bath tub toys on the arctic convoy runs :thumbup:

Also worth bearing in mind that what the crew percieved to be a 90+ foot wave is in reality only half that height above the mean level, they are just looking up at it from the bottom of the proceeding 45 foot trough 8O

Return to “Warships”