Can you tell what it is yet? Begins with S......e

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Can you tell what it is yet? Begins with S......e

Post by dylan9391 »

During a bit of down time between jobs I always hankered after making a large model Spitfire as a long term project. However my plans for long term are short lived as it's booked to appear at a 1940's weekend in August at a sea side resort for a couple of days. I did say to the guy I hadn't progressed much, but he said don't worry you've got till August. So today I have made six formers for the fuselage sides and plan on making another six tomorrow. Bl..dy hell, hope I finish it. The scale is 1:1 and it will break down for transport.
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Can you tell what it is yet? Begins with S......e

Post by Saxondog »

Why don't you live next door to me? But I would be the guy building the Stuka JU87 Tank Buster version. I am interested in this build. Their is a company in Missouri who sells kits for famous aircraft,3/4 and full scale. Either kit version or assembled and ready to fly. I was selling all my motorcycles and parts wanting a FOKKER DR1 but instead my twins go to college,and better damn well get wealthy and buy me an DR1. keep us updated with your progress, Saxondog

http://www.airdromeaeroplanes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I wouldn't mind living in the States that's for sure apart from the occasional tornado of course. Yes there is two companies I found on the net that make full size flying replicas, but lottery win needed and a bigger workspace. One was aluminium and the other using wood and balsa ply construction similar to the Mosquito. If you buy the plan from them it's thousands of pounds, so I drew my own and reduced the number of frames. I've sent the wing rib drawing to the cnc cutting company for a quote. I just hope it's not too expensive otherwise it's sending the drawings to the printers and cut them out myself. I am still thinking about the wisdom of it but having the goal of needing to get in done is a good one. Pity you are not next door as it would be useful to have the help.

It's got an interesting profile the Stuka and it was the first large plastic model kit I ever made as a child in the 70's.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

wow this is a big project, i thought my 1/6 rc one was big
ice,
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

well it's certainly the biggest model that I have made. I have made parts for big models before, but not the whole lot. Since the photo I cut the opposite side formers and some front ones, but have been away visiting family over the weekend but back to it tomorrow. Going to RAF Cosford museum tomorrow to look at their Spitfires to remind me of the size of the thing.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

After a busy time on the plane I have made all of the formers and just started on the rear balsa sheeting. I have added some strand mat fibreglass to the inner structure, although not sure it's absolutely necessary. The outer skin when sheeted is going to be covered in light cloth and then I can add the fake panels and rivet detail. The garage isn't always this untidy.... honest. Sax hope you are ok and not too badly affected by the tornadoes?
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

great start , going to be watching this one come together
cliff
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Cliff,
I've completed the rear fuselage section. The gap at the back is where the tail plane will fit and the rear castor wheel. The second photo is the next biggest section and I am just laying the glass cloth in place, so we are getting there. The wing ribs are being cnc cut from my drawings, so hope to get them soon.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I've been busy on the cockpit and just working on the fuselage structure. I am making the internals and enjoying making some of the more interesting details. It's good to get this done now as the 3mm flexible plywood hasn't arrived yet. The frame for the cockpit door has also been made so we are getting there. The Spitfire above this one is a 43inch model that is having a new electric engine fitted. Not a breath of wind here so off to fly my r/c twister medivac helicopter.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

I've not posted any photos recently of this giant model in the garage, so here goes. The tail plane is made out of blue foam sheets. Not used it before although I have got a foam trainer aeroplane. It's light and ok, to work with, just a bit of a pain to sand.

Start on the wings next week.

Return to “Planes”