Never sprayed an aircraft

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Never sprayed an aircraft

Post by doc larsson »

Dear all

some advice just bought a seafire mk17 1/48 scale and want to spray it. Do i do the work on the sprue or after i've built her.hopefully the wings will move from folded to flat.have also seen some brass hispanos should these be bought as well ?

advice please.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Never sprayed an aircraft

Post by billpe »

Check out this guys free videos: http://www.florymodels.co.uk/ He's got a ton of tips on building and painting aircraft. Could literally watch him all day.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Greetings doc....when I did Aircraft...the only part I would paint on the sprue was the interior ...paint the rest after the aircraft was completely finished ...just like spraying a tank...used scotch tape to paint the canopies back in the day...but modern painters tape might be better now...haven't done clear or canopy finishes in a while...so you might want to run a test first...just to make sure it doesn't bleed...scotch tape rarely bled..but sometimes would peel the paint off the frames ...so you want to try to remove it as soon as possible so the glue doesn't get affected by the reducer :D

ALPHA
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

cheers alpha and blipe

im good to go now
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Never sprayed aircraft (didn't have a brush) but did use a liquid mask rather than tape on the perspex parts. Can't remember what it was, but pretty sure it was pale purple.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

GOOD LUCK DOC :thumbup:

ALPHA
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi Doc, on all my aircraft I used something called "rub n buff" it's an aluminium rub that you thinly apply with your finger to the plastic.
You then paint over it as standard, once dry get a normal pencil eraser and rub the paint off around the high travel areas. This gives the effect of paint flake no you then have the aluminium shine through from below.

It's a very very effective substance.
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hello again Doc....this came as afterthought ...sorry...I forgot to mention when painting the canopy...after the fuselage is glued together and most of the cockpit paint sorted... I would stuff that area with kleenex tissue snugg fit the canopy down on it till there isn't much of a gap....that way if you spray a camo pattern on ..when you cross the canopy with the paint the pattern will be consistent with the fuselage :D

Sorry again for the late addition..it's been awhile since I've touched an aircraft :{

ALPHA
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

cheers guys,

merlin will source the rubnbuff cheers
alpha there will be no camo paint job RN blue/grey and dove grey. any advice on pin-washing between panels and oil wear ? pics please
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

doc larsson wrote:cheers guys,

merlin will source the rubnbuff cheers
alpha there will be no camo paint job RN blue/grey and dove grey. any advice on pin-washing between panels and oil wear ? pics please
Pin lining and wear...same techniques as tanks....the reason I used to paint canopies at the same time as the fuselage was so the color is consistent ...sometimes if you do the frame with brush..depending on the brand of paint ...the color would come out a little different ...has something to do with the reduction factor... ;)
you could do a test run and see...try airbrushing a patch on non porous paper...then on the side go with a brush...in most cases I found brushing came out a little darker 8O

ALPHA

Return to “Planes”