1/18 scale Luftwaffe

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!
scalawag

1/18 scale Luftwaffe

Post by scalawag »

Hi Chaps,

I have been able to obtain 4 of the 21st Century Toys 1/18 scale planes. They look great with my 1/16 tanks 8) 8)

I have done a very small amount of detailing so far, but to be honest, they are great models anyway.

So here they are

Ju87 b 2 Stuka Africa colours

Ju87 b 2 Stuka splinter pattern Camo

Messerschmitt Bf109 e 7 Sicily

Messerschmitt Bf109 g 6 Sicily

billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 1/18 scale Luftwaffe

Post by billpe »

Very nice! Do they come painted?
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

billpe wrote:Very nice! Do they come painted?
Yep they do. They are quite difficult to get hold of these days because the company who made them went out of business several years ago now. I was lucky to find these here in the UK, as most of the ones you see advertised are in the US.

Google 1/18 21st century planes, or ultimate soldier 1/18 planes.

Be careful when looking as they made them in other scales too. These 1/18 ones are not too far off the right scale for 1/16 tanks, they're near enough for me ;)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Nice Collection Scalawag.... BIG :O 1/18th scale??? 8O where do you store them ?
This is one of mine...not 1/18 and doesn't really blend in with my collection of tanks...at 1/48th approx scale...it's pretty big...
Surely not as nice as yours... but one my favorite bombers ..die cast metal ...My Heinkel 111 :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
These planes are very beautiful indeed. I have seen a cool method of displaying them up and out of the way that does not involve hanging from ceiling wire as a dust collector. ;o) They are mounted against the wall like a picture hanging. Instead of 2D glass and frame tho', it is a super nice model airplane that you can view up close or lift out of the mount to detail or work on.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

ALPHA wrote:Nice Collection Scalawag.... BIG :O 1/18th scale??? 8O where do you store them ?
This is one of mine...not 1/18 and doesn't really blend in with my collection of tanks...at 1/48th approx scale...it's pretty big...
Surely not as nice as yours... but one my favorite bombers ..die cast metal ...My Heinkel 111 :D

ALPHA
Thats a great He111 ALPHA. The Stuka is my favourite german plane really, but the He111 would be a close second. A 1/18 He111 would be enormous though, the wingspan on the Bf109s is 22 inches :S I am not sure if anyone makes a 1/18 He111, I know that 21st Century where going to bring out a B25 Mitchel, but I don't think it reached production before they went out of business.

There is just me and the dog at home, so storing them is not to hard for me, I can display them where I like. I will be looking for an FW 190 now but it took a while to find these so I don't know when that will be. 8)
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Evening,
These planes are very beautiful indeed. I have seen a cool method of displaying them up and out of the way that does not involve hanging from ceiling wire as a dust collector. ;o) They are mounted against the wall like a picture hanging. Instead of 2D glass and frame tho', it is a super nice model airplane that you can view up close or lift out of the mount to detail or work on.
regards,
Painless
Thanks Painless, that is a great idea for displaying them. I will have to look into that some more.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:
Thats a great He111 ALPHA. The Stuka is my favourite german plane really, but the He111 would be a close second. A 1/18 He111 would be enormous though, the wingspan on the Bf109s is 22 inches :S I am not sure if anyone makes a 1/18 He111, I know that 21st Century where going to bring out a B25 Mitchel, but I don't think it reached production before they went out of business.

There is just me and the dog at home, so storing them is not to hard for me, I can display them where I like. I will be looking for an FW 190 now but it took a while to find these so I don't know when that will be. 8)
:haha: Can't imagine the HE 111 in 1/18th scale... but it would be mind boggling.. might be as big as one of those ultra lites people fly around in lol
I like the stuka too... think yours are really fine examples...with them done in metal even better :D
The Heinkel was kind of a fluke... I was just talking favorite aircraft with an airsoft buddy of mine ....I really had no intention of getting one... but he went out shopping and found two... long story short... he then brought them over and I bought one from him...mostly because I felt kind of guilty that he actually hunted them down...he also gave me first choice...making the situation a little more awkward... anyway.. didn't regret it at the time... but now with my tank collection growing..am finding it hard to deal with because it has no box ...I also have the Memphis Belle and a C47 in die cast 1/72...those had the boxes so are easy to store ;)

Think I will also do what Painless has suggested and make a picture box to hang on the wall...it's a really good idea as it would take some of the weight off the wheels

ALPHA
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Painless' idea is definitely a good one.

As an aside I did a bit of research into the unit markings on the Stukas. The one with the splinter pattern camo is from a unit which fought in the Battle of Britain. It turns out that one of their Stukas was shot down not far from where I live in Sussex. I did not know this when I bought it, but I will have to do a little more research and see what I can turn up about it. Its a nice little connection to make :D
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I imagine your Stukas must have some weight as well ...and if they have rubber wheels...sooner or later they might flatten out lol...Just have to figure out how to mount it safely I don't remember if the HE 111 had any holes in the underside... do yours have any mounting or stand holes in the bottom Scalawag?

ALPHA

Return to “Planes”