Bachem Natter. Flying wunderwaffe.

Non-RC planes can be posted here, however big or small!

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Hi guys, I have been busy with something quite original.

Detailed review with more pics, here: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... 49-natter/

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:44 am

:thumbup: :clap: An unusual, but well-built model, Rad. The photos are nicely lit and composed. The Luftwaffe figures also blend in perfectly. :thumbup: Enjoy the twinning experience!
edit: by the way, 'Natter' is 'Adder' in English (Formerly 'Nadder'). It's the only venomous snake in Britain. :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Postby EAO » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 am

Rad,

I never know what you're going to come up with next! But it's always amazing and makes me smile! :crazy: :clap: :thumbup: Love the camo job too!

Cheers,
Eric.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby Jimster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:03 am

Where in the hell did you find so much greenery in this cold season! Beautiful model and figures.
Jimster
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:07 am

Thanks guys. Pics were taken in my small and humble garden, it is cold but not toooo cold :)

Anyway I can always heat next to the rocket plane. Yesterday I took this interesting pic where you can see the concrete turned red hot!

I must say the launch of the rocket is radio controlled too. There is a receiver, battery and a big ESC creating some sort of shortcircuit that heats and ignites it.

Absolutely love the toy, guys. Now, to the next project!
Rad_Schuhart

Postby HERMAN BIX » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:35 am

That is spectacular Mr Rad, an outstanding idea and very very well executed.
I was waiting for it to lift off for a bit there !!
great job.
HERMAN BIX
Colonel

Postby Kaczor » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:29 am

Now that's cool :D
Kaczor
Staff Sergeant

Postby jarndice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 pm

Rad my hero, 10 out of 10 for originality
I laughed and laughed when I saw your Natter build,
I think it and the FW Treibflugel were almost certainly going to kill lots of people and I refer to the poor bug*ers who were persuaded to crew them not the intended target :lolno:
Brilliant build and if nothing else at least it will make a great hand warmer on a winter's day.
If you do successfully launch it do you have the recovery chute in place? or are you relying on the original prototypes nasty habit of blowing up before the thing fired its rockets into the bomber stream. :thumbdown:
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Jussek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:28 pm

rad, i was hoping to see it take off too! You can always put a fishing line guide and some eyebolts in the belly ... LOL
Jussek
Sergeant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words.

I had many ideas with the rocket. First of all I planned to fit a benedini board with sounds and lights... but then I thought I was never going to move the plane anywhere so it was not worth to invest that dough, and the flames that I can do with leds and cotton would never been so cool as the ones with fireworks.

Then I thought about fitting firework rockets inside and lift it a bit, but the rocket-plane is very, very heavy. The "rocket motor" I have inside of the plane is a cake fireworks that you can find with the name of "fountains". It has no push power at all, only long flames. I have been thinking about other ways for rising the rocket, the pole has a working pulley system that really works and I can really lift the rocket with it, and thought about fitting a motor there... But then, man, is a rocket, and it should take of like a rocket. There is no motor I can fit that can lift the rocket that fast.

With second thoughts I realized there is no pilot inside of the flying coffing, because is outside of it, praying (LOL) so I thought making a "Test motor" scene in the industrial area of my scale city would be just perfect.

If I make something able to fly, might be a V2 (or my own V3 Stolzdorf's version) which would probable be made of paper. Time will tell.
Rad_Schuhart

Postby Jimster » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:41 am

Ohhh. A V3 sounds awesome. Please apply your creativity to that project. Maybe use a model rocket engine in the model. Maybe an Estes Rocket engine.
Jimster
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jarndice » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:08 am

I thought that the V3 was the multi-barreled supergun that was almost ready for commissioning when the RAF bombed the site in France,
If it had been allowed to fire it was planned to deliver heavy high speed artillery munitions into London at the rate of plus 1.000 rounds a day.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:29 am

jarndice wrote:I thought that the V3 was the multi-barreled supergun that was almost ready for commissioning when the RAF bombed the site in France,
If it had been allowed to fire it was planned to deliver heavy high speed artillery munitions into London at the rate of plus 1.000 rounds a day.

Well, I had no idea that there was an V3 maybe I have to look for another name... But what I know is I am building my own V4, a 6 legged walking robot of Doom, the ultimate wunderwaffe, beware allies! It will take me a lot of time to finish it, but it is in the works :)
Rad_Schuhart

Postby Kaczor » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:03 pm

Little offtopic: Rad, look for this Takom announcement ;)
Attachments
takom1015 (1).jpg
Kaczor
Staff Sergeant

Postby Rad_Schuhart » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:20 pm

Kaczor wrote:Little offtopic: Rad, look for this Takom announcement ;)

That thing is megacool. Is in my wish list, I gave read it will be released on april and is the kind of stuff I want to build :D
Rad_Schuhart

Postby jarndice » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm

Both the German and Japanese navies used autogyros on some of their submarines which were towed into the air increasing exponentially the visible horizon of what would otherwise be a vessel with very restricted vision, Some of the later Big Japanese Boats carried a powered Helicopter in a Hanger which made up the front section of the conning tower.
jarndice
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Herr Dr. Professor » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:34 am

That is superb, Rad! In fact, it may well be more fun to watch the "fountain" than actually to see it launch. For one, there's more time to look. I remember the Estes rockets of the 'sixties (including a V2). Once they ignited, whooosh! they were gone.
For another, it's nice to be able to watch the whole thing over again; whereas, with the Estes rockets, the parachutes failed so often or the whole thing drifted into a tree or onto a passing car. :(
Of course, I always used the most powerful solid engine that would fit in the rocket. :shh: Maybe that had something to do with all the problems. :think:
I built a few; lost 'em all; had a ball!
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:50 am

Don't waste the heat, Rad, in this energy-conscious World of ours!
A tip: Austrians love their Stockfisch (fish on a stick), so why not use Natter power! One would be cooked in an instant under that Natter jet :think: :D :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Return to Planes