1/35 Dragon 1945 Berlin IS-2

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

1/35 Dragon 1945 Berlin IS-2

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Since I was lucky enough to get one of the new Taigen IS-2s for Christmas, I am doing a ( usual for me ) Research Build to see how I want to paint and dress up the 1/16 version. I found a 1/35 Dragon model that came with another kit depicting a Russian tank crew. It was 20.00 US well spent. Pics:
Attachments
Detail in a different light
Detail in a different light
A quick test fit
A quick test fit
Helpful variant tips
Helpful variant tips
Dragon detail is eye catching
Dragon detail is eye catching
A pleasant hours work
A pleasant hours work
Fairly detailed and should be .fun.
Fairly detailed and should be .fun.
Matching Dragon tank crew
Matching Dragon tank crew
No apparent flash and great molding
No apparent flash and great molding
Dragon IS 2m
Dragon IS 2m
It looks great but more can be done still
It looks great but more can be done still
...Here for the Dawn...
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Re: 1/35 Dragon 1945 Berlin IS-2

Post by Saracen »

IS-2 is my favourite Russian tank of WW2.

Why is there a machine gun in the back of the turret though. Makes sense when seen in your first picture but when going into action, you would have thought the big gun would be facing forwards.

Adrian.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The IS2 has 2 machine guns, one under the turret on the rhs of the tank - it's pretty well concealed, I think the one on the back is in case any sneaky infantry waited in hiding until it was past and ran out to stick a mine on the back?

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I expect that by the time these machines were mooted, the disaster of the 'Elephant' with no machine gun was well known and lesson learned.
Thinking ahead, they knew that one day, these weapons would be operating in the confines of urban areas in Germany, so any help they could have was certainly built in.

Could ya do us all a favour Mr Wolf............turn the dang Taigen turret around facing front & display that magnificent gun pleeeeese !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
I've had it running just for a few minutes to test all of the functions including the 360 turret. I'll get a new 5000Mah battery in it to power it up completely ( It is heavy on the level of the 'Palace' heavy ) and turn the main gun around here soon, Mr. Bix. I need to re arrange the Tank room to give it a little space for display up and out of the way from where it is now.
regards all,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

All the way through Step 8 tonight. The turret is on and has most of it's detail. I am awaiting a better set of tracks from Tamiya. Paint is coming here soon and that will require some 'cogitation' Pics:
Attachments
A sizable vehicle even in this scale
A sizable vehicle even in this scale
Getting somewhere finally
Getting somewhere finally
Tracks have excellent detail but are definitely not magic tracks
Tracks have excellent detail but are definitely not magic tracks
I am using the kit barrel for now.  That may change later.
I am using the kit barrel for now. That may change later.
Many pieces make up the mantlet and gun mount.
Many pieces make up the mantlet and gun mount.
Tiny detail is tiny...
Tiny detail is tiny...
Lot of sanding to do yet.
Lot of sanding to do yet.
No slide molding here.  Had to hollow out the horn with some drill bits of varying sizes...
No slide molding here. Had to hollow out the horn with some drill bits of varying sizes...
1.35 is fiddly but not as bad as 1.72
1.35 is fiddly but not as bad as 1.72
Casting is great!
Casting is great!
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I am always impressed by the "practice" builds you do to prepare your thoughts for a 1/16 one. And, while I think it is a great idea; I find (for myself) feeling like there is too little time for the big builds to spend time working on smaller ones.

Incidentally, Alpha and I were discussing the good fortune you had in acquiring the JS-2 from Dave; and agreeing on your desire to repaint the factory paint job. We were thinking that - with all the white paint they used on the turret to make the Berlin cross - they should have just painted the whole thing white in the first place!

It's going to be a cool process to watch, and we will be sitting in the front row!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

So how is our erstwhile highest ranking officer Mr Sass?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

He's doing well, Herman. He has had more than his share of challenges in the past few years, but is fairing well and slowly making time to get back into "tankery." I believe he looks in on our endeavors from time to time, and - like the rest of us - enjoys the creativity and skillsets of our members in their builds.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good on him, he does more philanthropic work than I could-he must be a long lost relative of Mother Theresa
Is he still a softy for pink tanks :O ?

Sorry Mr Wolf, you know by now that a mere mention of Mr Alpha will quickly divert a thread !!

What is this small version destined for ?..........surely not just to add numbers to your already bulging collection ?
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tanks”