'Q' Scale Chibi KV-2

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

'Q' Scale Chibi KV-2

Post by PainlessWolf »

It has been a while since I could open a model tank, assemble it, primer it, paint it, detail paint it, decal it and finally dull coat it in an evening. This 'Q' scale ( 1/48? ) KV-2 allowed just such an occasion. It was a happy one too. Way out of dimensional scale and with a tiny friction engine and wheels, it is definitely a Toy but it is a _Model_ Toy so that puts it on the right side of the road in my book. I was alerted to these by the General, he of Girls und Panzers fame and Sassgrunt. I think these chibi tanks have more to do with a video game than anime' but tanks are tanks. I was just sitting around wondering when the Schumo shipment for the M36B1 was going to show and I do have a closet full of kits so... Fun was had. Pics:

P.S. Sassgrunt, I couldn't bring myself to taking the time to scratch build the numerous add-ons required to turn this into a chibi version of the 'Palace' but I did consider it. ( Not to mention that tri color camo paint job ;o)
Attachments
An evenings worth of fun for some 10.00 US
An evenings worth of fun for some 10.00 US
Complete with laquer flats
Complete with laquer flats
Several options for paint and markings.  Decals included were wet slide types.
Several options for paint and markings. Decals included were wet slide types.
Entire tank assembled plus options to use the Commanders hatch for chibi figures like Lego characters.  Included a Sputnik, I believe that is what it is.
Entire tank assembled plus options to use the Commanders hatch for chibi figures like Lego characters. Included a Sputnik, I believe that is what it is.
Real tank details were squeezed in.
Real tank details were squeezed in.
Lower hull complete
Lower hull complete
Interesting way to do tracks and include a friction motor and wheels hidden underneath
Interesting way to do tracks and include a friction motor and wheels hidden underneath
Single steps for the major components
Single steps for the major components
Really nice glossy pages made up a very readable set of instructions
Really nice glossy pages made up a very readable set of instructions
AFV Club Q scale KV-2
AFV Club Q scale KV-2
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: 'Q' Scale Chibi KV-2

Post by sassgrunt »

I like it, and what you've done to bring it to life! It looks like a much better model than the Meng chibi kits. Those have rubber band tracks that overstress the suspension parts. They also cut down the number of roadwheels to make it more of a caricature that this kit, (on both the Sherman and the Tiger I). Still, I like the completely non-scale aspect of kits like this as a relief from getting so hung up on the details of larger models. And, since nothing is to scale, ANY modification you want to make to it is okay.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Looks good, head lamp is an improvement over HL too..... What's the thing that looks like a wicket on a cooking pot?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I absolutely agree what a wonderful diversion from the everyday things and our "larger projects". Came out spectacular Mr Painless
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

RobW wrote:Looks good, head lamp is an improvement over HL too..... What's the thing that looks like a wicket on a cooking pot?
I reckon Mr Wolf would not be familiar with the term 'wicket' !!
Ive sat in many bars in the U.S. getting quizzed by the locals about some stoopid(sic!) game you can play for a week and not get a winner !!!!!
Cricket it is, and then I quiz them back on how it takes what seems like 300 jokers 4 hours to play a game of NFL football :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Not forgetting their obsession with rounders....
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning Gentlemen,
Mike! Thanks, Doc! It was purely fun having no expectations outside of box art. The kit included bases to mount on the turret for a number of makes of figures and even a large Robot? head.
Rob! It was fun! As for that weird looking pot gizmo, I thought it was a Sputnik but your guess is as good as mine. ;o) Painted it silver just in case.
Carl! That is the definite truth, sir. I was sitting around doing nothing waiting for parts then 'woke up' to the fact that I have a lot of smaller kits, research and not, that I could be doing.
Herman, I am familiar with the basics of Cricket and 'Football'. You can't spend a great part of every day involved in the after hours goings on of whole other countries full of folks without picking up bits and pieces of their culture. ;o) I'm lucky to have traveled a lot when younger and have spent some time in Great Britain. Haven't made it to Australia but it's on the list for retirement travel.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Markocaster
Staff Sergeant

Post by Markocaster »

Love it, nice little build painless :thumbup:
HL /Mato tiger 1 early, Tamiya Tiger 1 early, Taigen tiger 1 mid
Taigen T34/85, HL SU-100
Jagdpanzer Lang
Taiga Jagdpanther
Heng Long Sherman DGS Firefly kit
Tamiya King Tiger (unbuilt)
Mato all metal Panzer III
1/10 Jagdpanther
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Thank you, sir! Building tanks is fun, whatever the scale ( or as in this case, non - scale )
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
Thank you, sir! Building tanks is fun, whatever the scale ( or as in this case, non - scale )
regards,
Painless
Where did you source this kit from? I'd like to check it out and others like itImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Tanks”