From 1/16th to 1/35th

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
von steiner
Recruit

From 1/16th to 1/35th

Post by von steiner »

I got to thinking after I finished my first build in 40 years. The Tamiya 1/16th R/C full option kit Sherman
was a blast to put together but my painting prowess lacked a whole lot of practice.

So I backed up and just completed a 1/35th scale Tamiya Leopard 2A6. Static plastic kit.
What was I thinking? The sprues have parts one half the size of the 1/16 Tank.
I struggled with the tweezers and the glue. But I didn't quit.
A new Paasche air brush and a moisture trap for the compressor were procured but when it came time to
paint the Leopard, I used a rattle can and brushed on the other two N.A.T.O. colors. Black and brown.

My oldest son was given the air-brush. I decided that I am not that into modeling.

I will post a couple photos of the 1/35 build when I can.

So, I couldn't take it anymore and today (I hope) will be on our door step... a real inexpensive Heng Long
1/16 R/C (not the upgraded version) Walker Bulldog that I can take my time with and have fun upgrading.

I might even ask my son if I can borrow the air-brush.

respectfully;

Von Steiner
von steiner
Recruit

Re: From 1/16th to 1/35th

Post by von steiner »

Well.. I received the Heng Long 1/16 R/C Walker bulldog. The base model with no upgrades.
The good:
Only 100 U.S. dollars.
Came with the transmitter/receiver
and 1700 mAh battery plus charger.
RTR at a fraction of the cost of the Tamiya Sherman I just completed.
I can use the paints left over from the other two builds I finished.

The bad:
Battery has broken positive lead at the terminal point.
One tail light is just hanging by it's wire.
The main gun is just hanging by the BB ready light wires.
All can be fixed, so no complaints really.

I am going to detail (the shovel and sledge hammer came painted) the pieces on the sprues and
just have fun with it.
Decided not to go with metal upgrades. Not worth it. Just drive it "as is" after painted and lubricating.
The Tamiya is a little fragile I think, so I can run the heck out of the Heng Long and if and when it
breaks, no big deal.

Von Steiner
von steiner
Recruit

Post by von steiner »

After taking the top off and lubricating the gears and a visual, I used Tri-flo on the suspension.
The transmitter didn't work. Won't power up.
New batteries and checked
the polarity. Nothing.

So, I took the transmitter over to my father's house.
He was once the R/C guru and published a book in the late 70's called A to Z R/C modeling.
I watched him key the transmitter and the receiver (analog) meter didn't register.
So he told me he would repair it tonight and I could pick it up tomorrow morning.

Too many things not right on this brand new package. But, I knew before hand that for 100 bucks,
it might not be perfect. You get what you pay for I guess.
von steiner
Recruit

Post by von steiner »

My father put the transmitter on an o'scope... did something to get it to work and brought it back.
Soldered the broken + lead on the battery.
We fired it up and everything seemed ok.

Took the top off for painting and now the right track is in-op.
I might have stressed a wire but I doubt it.

Every attachment has to be filed down or the hole the piece fits into has to be opened up.
I don't know... did I get a lemon or is it true that you really have to throw some money at something
for quality?

In my opinion, if you want to buy a Heng Long... buy one used that some dad thought he could have some fun with his son or daughter with and found out after ten minutes that the tank broke. He takes the
hit and sells the pos for 1/4 of his price to some master builder that will make it nice.

My last one. I am not promoting Tamiya but for now on, I will save up my money and pay the
high price for quality.

Von Steiner
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Hey Steiner - post up some pics - someone might see something you missed.

Find out form your Dad what he found - it might help someone somewhere. That's what makes this forum so useful.
von steiner
Recruit

Post by von steiner »

Tomorrow, when my oldest son comes over, I will get some photos up. He makes it easy.
Now the Heng Long finally turned out ok.
The left track motor leads (Both - and +) broke off the circuit board. Cold solder. But I did remove the upper hull and might have pulled them off. They are re-soldered and today, I have been driving the heck out of the Walker Bulldog.
To be honest... if you are a talented modeler and like challenges then get a Heng Long and go for it.

The one thing that surprised me was the "BB" function.
Man... those bellets go fast and straight for about 30 feet when the main gun is not even at 45 degrees. I am happy with the Walker now but what a hassle to make it work right. Will get a couple of pics of my 1/35 leo 2a6 static project and the Walker 1/16 R/C heng long by tomorrow I hope.

The Bulldog will make you say.. "Hmmm?"
I used an different paint just like the Tamiya M4 1/16 R/C Sherman I completed last month.

I need to slow down.

Von Steiner

I
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If you have wires coming off a circuit board then it sounds like you have a very old HL pcb, introduced when Julius Caesar was head of R&D. If it is a bare one, it is an RX13/14. The ones after that are RX18's and come in a black plastic box and run on 27mhz, after that they switched to 2.4, and the latest ones that aren't in the shops yet have sounds copied from the Tamiya system, with the option to select Tiger or Leopard sounds, these come with the new T90 as standard.

The Bulldog is a great tank, they run perfectly over any terrain. They are also cheap to modify to get them looking more like the real thing. Upgrades are available but they run just fine in standard plastic trim.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13827
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
von steiner
Recruit

Post by von steiner »

This is the old model. Black box and open circuit board.
The Walker is the same length as the Tamiya Sherman but a lot wider.

My advice to anyone wanting to have fun on a budget is to have some history of building plastic models and
have some experience with radio controlled models if you get a Heng Long.

The Walker Bulldog has one speed. Fast. The super spins remind me of the break dancers you see
on the street.
My son is bringing dinner tonight and when he gets here, I'll post up some pics of the Leo 2a6, 1/35 and
my new 1/16 Walker.

Von Steiner
von steiner
Recruit

Post by von steiner »

The camo on the Leo is just a brush and doesn't look too bad if you are far away. Gave the new airbrush
to my oldest son. Did put the moisture trap on the compressor, so not all in vain.

The metallic green on the 1/16 Walker is as bad as the gloss black on the Tamiya Sherman I put together a month ago. I enjoy the build without getting too historic and it is obvious that I can't paint but
it is all fun for me and that is what I need for my recovery from being pretty sick.

What's next? Man, I would really like to get the 1/16 R/C Tamiya Leopard 2A6.
If I do, it will be built off of a picture of a real one that the Germans' are using.
I will study off of this site and it's master builders. You know, the rust, dust, dirt, weather effects, and all the grime and crud that the real tanks get on them.

Von Steiner
Attachments
DSCN0886.jpg
DSCN0865.jpg
026.jpg
021.jpg
von steiner
Recruit

Post by von steiner »

I found a website (StormtheCastle) that has great learning advice for someone like me that hasn't
quite figured out the proper tactics for a build on a tank with some history.

My biggest problem is learning to take time and not rush.
I have been reading for hours and am going to get my airbrush back from #1 son. Practice and then order all the fancy stuff that gives the scale replica a realistic look.

My choice for the next tank... a Tamiya Leopard 2A6 of course.
Looking at as much builds and upgrades as I can find and this website is invaluable for information.

When I get started, I will post my progress. I really like modern day main battle tanks like the Leo.

Will it be the last one? Doubt it.

Interesting to note that the Walker Bulldog was in Vietnam as well as Korea and I spent one year in country and never saw one. A whole lot of APC's, with and without tracks but no tanks.
Must have been lucky to stay inside the wire most of the time.

Von Steiner

Return to “Tanks”