Are the AFV Club kits any good?

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Are the AFV Club kits any good?

Post by RobW »

As the subject line states. Just been looking at a couple of the Churchill Funnies and wondering.
billpe

Re: Are the AFV Club kits any good?

Post by billpe »

Yes, they produce excellent, very high detail kits. I don't know about that specific kit but a search on http://www.armorama.co.uk/ will probably turn up a few build threads for it.
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Yes I have enjoyed building afv club kits in the past and have several,in my stack
I would recommend any of the Churchill ..centurion ...kits ..and the lovely m88 ..
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Never build one....seen a lot of them...but the price usually ends it right there....I do think they are worth the money if you are into the scale...they do provide more detail than other companies ...usually with full interiors and PE parts..........the one thing that I don't really like are their tracks...several of their kits have the piece together glue on type ...and my personal preference are those that are functional...glue on's are great for dioramas and stuff like that ...they just aren't for me ;)
The other thing about the brand is their list of models is limited

ALPHA
billpe

Post by billpe »

Like a good restaurant, the menu is kept small so the chef can focus on making a few things to a really high standard.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Externally...AFV kits are basically the same as any other brand...what AFV does is ...they include interiors ...which doesn't necessarily make them better IMO...as you can in most cases get better results by adding on conversion kits ....and as I said before...they have lousy tracks ...So add on to the already high price tag of an AFV kit...the price of a good set of tracks

ALPHA
RobW

Post by RobW »

I was looking at the Funnies, but suspect the Churchill Gun Carrier could be a good one to start with.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141793102380

Then I found this.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131632901256
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272010031803

Too many projects.....
billpe

Post by billpe »

ALPHA wrote:Externally...AFV kits are basically the same as any other brand...what AFV does is ...they include interiors ...which doesn't necessarily make them better IMO...as you can in most cases get better results by adding on conversion kits ....and as I said before...they have lousy tracks ...So add on to the already high price tag of an AFV kit...the price of a good set of tracks

ALPHA
Well no, actually you're completely wrong on several accounts, probably because you admittedly don't own any. I have several without interiors (Centurion 5 for instance) and several with one strip rubber tracks. And no, not all are the same externally. I'm not even sure where to start on this but it's a ludicrous statement. You'd get ripped to shreds making a comment like that on somewhere like armorama.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I'm watching an AFV 1/35 Stuart M5 on Ebay and would like to build it to see how the main sections of the vehicle assemble. It looks like a really thorough Kit. I would add different tracks since I don't want to glue them on in one configuration. Research tanks are a great idea before attempting a 1/16 or larger build in RC. Any company that makes a good 1/35 kit of what I am trying to build gets a Kudo from me. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

billpe wrote:
ALPHA wrote:Externally...AFV kits are basically the same as any other brand...what AFV does is ...they include interiors ...which doesn't necessarily make them better IMO...as you can in most cases get better results by adding on conversion kits ....and as I said before...they have lousy tracks ...So add on to the already high price tag of an AFV kit...the price of a good set of tracks

ALPHA
Well no, actually you're completely wrong on several accounts, probably because you admittedly don't own any. I have several without interiors (Centurion 5 for instance) and several with one strip rubber tracks. And no, not all are the same externally. I'm not even sure where to start on this but it's a ludicrous statement. You'd get ripped to shreds making a comment like that on somewhere like armorama.
:haha: :haha: Then IMO...you get "ripped off" buying these AFV kits :haha: :haha:...THAT'S the reason I don't own any :haha:

ALPHA

PS. The only person that would rip me apart for giving an opinion is a "brand Snob" who thinks paying more actually get's you something better :wtf: ..because a great modeller should be able to build any brand...and do...because AMV just doesn't make that many :P
Armorama???????????????????? :wtf: ...like I care :haha: :haha:
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Tanks”