OCD Builds.... Research Tanks in 1/35th 8O

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
ALPHA
Major-General

OCD Builds.... Research Tanks in 1/35th 8O

Post by ALPHA »

The build from HELL :haha: :haha:
Some of you know I bought this 1/35th scale POJ Sherman Firefly from EBAY
...YAY...no one bid against me :haha:
you can see it's in wonderful shape :shifty:
The Barrel is straight
The body alignment is perfect :haha:
Wonderful attention to detail with that added after market antenna
Perfect Sprocket placement
Last but not least the outstanding Weathering :wtf:
Why even the Underside is so well done.. this thing would have modellers standing in AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW..(bummer..to bad)

OK...Contacted the seller...with a little dismay...to express my "EXCITEMENT" :wtf: ...and of course...got replies as I had thought I would have...The bottom line is....."SHE" said "SHE" thought it was in nice condition :P ....To which I finally replied...as I knew she was giving me the run around at that point..."Whatever" :haha: ...and told her I left a pos for her just because it arrived in a timely manner...(personally ...I think she was glad to get it out of her house lol)

Anyway...Long story short....It is a kit that is going to be used for "research"...for a future Sherman build ...so off to work I went

ALPHA

PS..I knew from the photos it was missing some parts...and thought it wasn't in that bad shape ...SURPRISE! SURPRISE!
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Obsessive Compulsive Much?

Post by ALPHA »

OK....After about 36 hours of work ...this was a couple of days ago
This is where I was

The gun was glued in the "up" position...found the guy had did that because he had mounted the gun shield upside down...the only remedy was to break the gun shield free and flip it back over...that was after breaking off the gun :/ ...repaired ...now the gun works properly
If you look closely...where I sanded you can see where the guy plugged the lift ring holes....on the other side ...also if you look closely...you can see where the holes are for the lift ring is supposed to be ...they are clearly off :lolno: ...same with the turret rings...reason I broke one off
Removed all the tools ...there were gaping holes and several imperfections that needed attention
Looks like the tracks were from a Sherman Sherman...and not the ones that were supposed to be supplied with the original kit...did find out later the possible reason the builder did this....think he gave up...as the tracks that were supposed to be on were plastic...individual links that needed assembly ...Also found in the strip down process....the tracks that he did use were glued to the inner fender wells :wtf: ...this was the solution I found for that issue...used a blow dryer to heat the vinyl tracks...shape them to take up all the slack...then glued a piece of rubber to take up the gap..."IF"...I do skirts...it should take care of that gap...OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE enough yet..............NAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As she sat three days ago the hull broken apart ...wheels sprokets idlers everything removed...the transmission cover ...comprised of three major components...had to be literally carved off...broken apart..and reassembled one piece at a time to realign the front and rear so it would sit right...one Sprocket was so crooked (I knew what the problem was) I cut it off with a chisel blade ....found the hollow where the pin for it to be mounted...to the hull was not only filled with a glue job that the Heng Long monkey would envy ..but the broken off stem that should have been part of the transmission case was still there in what looked like a three or four time repair attempt ... tried many methods to clear the opening...finally taking out the ol dremel to clear it (should have did that in the first place lol)...made a new pin for the sprocket out of sprue ....and a new "socket" on the transmission case for it to slide into...if I didn't do it this way....I wouldn't have been able to reinstall the tracks...just because of the method I used to fix them
At this point ...it had already felt like I had built the kit ...from kit form ....I could have stopped and just put paint on it...unfortunately ...and the "OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE" part....is I didn't :crazy:
Did more research ....for this "research" tank....and found it wasn't quite good enough..............for "ME!!!!!" :wtf:

CARPE DIEM GENTSImage

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

dear O dear O dear, Sir, Forgive me but I do think you ought to make a couple of appointments, in no particular order, Your optician and a Mental Health Nurse, Far be it from me to question your judgement, BUT WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???
It is, and I am being generous CRAP!!! I apologise for the Americanism.
I have just one question, How much did the vendor pay you to take it off their hands? And whatever amount it was not enough.
shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jarndice wrote:dear O dear O dear, Sir, Forgive me but I do think you ought to make a couple of appointments, in no particular order, Your optician and a Mental Health Nurse, Far be it from me to question your judgement, BUT WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???
It is, and I am being generous CRAP!!! I apologise for the Americanism.
I have just one question, How much did the vendor pay you to take it off their hands? And whatever amount it was not enough.
shaun
Just hang on there WO1c....there's more to come :crazy:

ALPHA

PS. She had more tanks for sale...not sure who bought them...but she told me ..everyone was Happy :wtf:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I imagine you will be purchasing a 5 litre can of olive drab paint, then immersing the Disaster in the can, before searching out a Skip/Dumpster within which to display the sealed can?
And it's nowhere near April 1st.
Are you really going to expend your well noted and rightly praised skills on this----this waste of plastic?
I wish you good luck. :thumbup:
shaun
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Now I've not been diagnosed with OCD....but after doing research on what had or needed to be done to make a "credible" GUP Firefly....this is the kit that needs to be followed

IT'S A DANG HYBRID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

ALPHA

PS....It may not be OCD....Maybe it's Anger Management :wtf:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jarndice wrote:I imagine you will be purchasing a 5 litre can of olive drab paint, then immersing the Disaster in the can, before searching out a Skip/Dumpster within which to display the sealed can?
That probably would have been the "best" prescribed method...
And it's nowhere near April 1st.
Are you really going to expend your well noted and rightly praised skills on this----this waste of plastic?
I wish you good luck. :thumbup:
shaun
A question too late in the asking....about 16 hours more put into it...maybe more lol....Think I need some sort of therapy...or maybe a Hobby :haha:

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

My apologies, having seen the box top I now understand what your plan is.
You are going to melt down the Disaster and pour the molten plastic into six moulds of WW2 allied infantrymen ,
BRILLIANT!!! I knew you wouldn't let us down. :thumbup:
shaun
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jarndice wrote:My apologies, having seen the box top I now understand what your plan is.
You are going to melt down the Disaster and pour the molten plastic into six moulds of WW2 allied infantrymen ,
BRILLIANT!!! I knew you wouldn't let us down. :thumbup:
shaun
HMMMMMMMMMMM...Don't think that falls into the mental state of being OCD :think: ...maybe BiPOLAR...don't think I'm there Yet...as the best I can come close to what you describe there WO1c is this Tamiya cover reenactment
Six figures...........but the tank is still there :'(
Pretty much no cigar for either of us :haha:

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

This is where the OCD has brought me to at this time....approx 20+ hours after the first set of photos

Made one new headlight assy....two new upper hull lift rings...the two gadgets that go along side them...fixed the upper area of the transmission cover..and made the antler brackets
interestingly and perhaps with a lot of luck...the antler brackets came out good IMO...had to make them twice...the first attempt I had made them too small..the second time was much better ...and as I said...luckily allowed for clear vision of the headlights :D

Made one...yes..only one right now....tail light guard out of hammered brass stock
Made six...yes six...because that's all I need ....side brackets
fixed the broken outer gun sight
a few more guards to go...maybe the hatch stop...then maybe skirts...before paint :/

Think I need an Intervention :think:

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tanks”