1/35 Dragon 1945 Berlin IS-2

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.

Postby PainlessWolf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:01 am

Good evening,
Since I was lucky enough to get one of the new Taigen IS-2s for Christmas, I am doing a ( usual for me ) Research Build to see how I want to paint and dress up the 1/16 version. I found a 1/35 Dragon model that came with another kit depicting a Russian tank crew. It was 20.00 US well spent. Pics:
Attachments
It looks great but more can be done still.jpg
It looks great but more can be done still
Dragon IS 2m.jpg
Dragon IS 2m
No apparent flash and great molding.jpg
No apparent flash and great molding
Matching Dragon tank crew.jpg
Matching Dragon tank crew
Fairly detailed and should be .fun..jpg
Fairly detailed and should be .fun.
A pleasant hours work.jpg
A pleasant hours work
Dragon detail is eye catching.jpg
Dragon detail is eye catching
Helpful variant tips.jpg
Helpful variant tips
A quick test fit.jpg
A quick test fit
Detail in a different light.jpg
Detail in a different light
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Saracen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:50 am

IS-2 is my favourite Russian tank of WW2.

Why is there a machine gun in the back of the turret though. Makes sense when seen in your first picture but when going into action, you would have thought the big gun would be facing forwards.

Adrian.
Saracen
Lance Corporal

Postby AlwynTurner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:01 pm

The IS2 has 2 machine guns, one under the turret on the rhs of the tank - it's pretty well concealed, I think the one on the back is in case any sneaky infantry waited in hiding until it was past and ran out to stick a mine on the back?

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby HERMAN BIX » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:55 pm

I expect that by the time these machines were mooted, the disaster of the 'Elephant' with no machine gun was well known and lesson learned.
Thinking ahead, they knew that one day, these weapons would be operating in the confines of urban areas in Germany, so any help they could have was certainly built in.

Could ya do us all a favour Mr Wolf............turn the dang Taigen turret around facing front & display that magnificent gun pleeeeese !!!
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Good morning,
I've had it running just for a few minutes to test all of the functions including the 360 turret. I'll get a new 5000Mah battery in it to power it up completely ( It is heavy on the level of the 'Palace' heavy ) and turn the main gun around here soon, Mr. Bix. I need to re arrange the Tank room to give it a little space for display up and out of the way from where it is now.
regards all,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Wardog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:17 am

The kit looks old i like the pic on the box, would make you want to frame it.
Great

Wardog
Corporal

Postby PainlessWolf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 am

All the way through Step 8 tonight. The turret is on and has most of it's detail. I am awaiting a better set of tracks from Tamiya. Paint is coming here soon and that will require some 'cogitation' Pics:
Attachments
Casting is great!.jpg
Casting is great!
1.35 is fiddly but not as bad as 1.72.jpg
1.35 is fiddly but not as bad as 1.72
No slide molding here.  Had to hollow out the horn with some drill bits of varying sizes....jpg
No slide molding here. Had to hollow out the horn with some drill bits of varying sizes...
Lot of sanding to do yet..jpg
Lot of sanding to do yet.
Tiny detail is tiny....jpg
Tiny detail is tiny...
Many pieces make up the mantlet and gun mount..jpg
Many pieces make up the mantlet and gun mount.
I am using the kit barrel for now.  That may change later..jpg
I am using the kit barrel for now. That may change later.
Tracks have excellent detail but are definitely not magic tracks.jpg
Tracks have excellent detail but are definitely not magic tracks
Getting somewhere finally.jpg
Getting somewhere finally
A sizable vehicle even in this scale.jpg
A sizable vehicle even in this scale
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby sassgrunt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:07 am

I am always impressed by the "practice" builds you do to prepare your thoughts for a 1/16 one. And, while I think it is a great idea; I find (for myself) feeling like there is too little time for the big builds to spend time working on smaller ones.

Incidentally, Alpha and I were discussing the good fortune you had in acquiring the JS-2 from Dave; and agreeing on your desire to repaint the factory paint job. We were thinking that - with all the white paint they used on the turret to make the Berlin cross - they should have just painted the whole thing white in the first place!

It's going to be a cool process to watch, and we will be sitting in the front row!

sassgrunt
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35 am

So how is our erstwhile highest ranking officer Mr Sass?
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby sassgrunt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:13 am

He's doing well, Herman. He has had more than his share of challenges in the past few years, but is fairing well and slowly making time to get back into "tankery." I believe he looks in on our endeavors from time to time, and - like the rest of us - enjoys the creativity and skillsets of our members in their builds.

sassgrunt
Sergeant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 pm

Good on him, he does more philanthropic work than I could-he must be a long lost relative of Mother Theresa
Is he still a softy for pink tanks :O ?

Sorry Mr Wolf, you know by now that a mere mention of Mr Alpha will quickly divert a thread !!

What is this small version destined for ?..........surely not just to add numbers to your already bulging collection ?
HERMAN BIX
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Good morning,
Mike, I can understand your thoughts on the 'time' thing. I wasted months last year realizing there was something wrong with my vision then getting it corrected. It is such a pleasure now to work on tanks in any scale again. I am back to scrounging up stuff for the Stuart again ( more to come on that ). This IS-2 was something I had wanted since Tamiya put one out. Taigen came along but the whole year was a bust waiting for them to put one out. Dave and Julie ran afoul of some and even tho' they arrived imperfect, it was worth the wait. As far as the paint goes, Taigen tries so hard to get it right that I feel guilty at times redoing them. The last really good one I had was the Panther G way back when. This one, I will salvage as much of the original paint as I can ( Swear to God the current finish looks like they sprayed it with Hammerite.)
Herman, No problems, Doc. I get to chat with Alpha almost on a daily basis and consider it time always well spent. ( Sassgrunt on the other hand is always the proverbial one legged man ) The small scale 'research' versions of my builds are just for detailing and paint tests. I got into the idea some time ago, building a 1/35 scale version of an early StuG B from Tamiya that Sass and Alpha had sent over from the Islands. That led to a 1/16th build that turned out pretty sweet.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Awaiting rebuilds....jpg
Awaiting rebuilds...
I'm pleased to have an RC version of the Tamiya StuG.JPG
I'm pleased to have an RC version of the Tamiya StuG
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 am

The basic Research build is complete tonight with the arrival of the Tamiya package from Ebay. Not what I thought I was getting but doable for a research tank. Primer and some paint, hopefully tomorrow. Pics ( click to enlarge as always )
Attachments
Working on the turret detail.jpg
Working on the turret detail
A few dollars spent on some Tamiya extras turns out....jpg
A few dollars spent on some Tamiya extras turns out...
...to be not quite what I had hoped for.jpg
...to be not quite what I had hoped for
At least the Tamiya tracks are thin with good detail and fit the Dragon model.jpg
At least the Tamiya tracks are thin with good detail and fit the Dragon model
Good looking detail.jpg
Good looking detail
The tracks work with the kit.jpg
The tracks work with the kit
Time to play with paint and weathering.jpg
Time to play with paint and weathering
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby PainlessWolf » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:50 am

Just a quick post to show a little progress on the research version of the IS-2 I'm pleased with the Dragon kit and the opportunities afforded to play around with colors and washes and weathering. More to do after tonight's work cures. Pics ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
Tank beset by headless figures.jpg
Tank beset by headless figures
Base colors done.jpg
Base colors done
A trick from the General...Berlin Stripes made easy...more tomorrow..jpg
A trick from the General...Berlin Stripes made easy...more tomorrow.
Figures in Primer.jpg
Figures in Primer
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Soeren » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:40 pm

I just love dragon kits. But what was wrong with the tracks here? Usually these aren't bad at all.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Postby PainlessWolf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Good morning,
This is an early Dragon kit and each link had flash. Enough to warrant extra clean up on each one. Hence the new tracks. This build is complete and the crew are painted. Here are a couple of pics as I work on it's Big brother.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Finished Tank and Crew.jpg
Finished Tank and Crew
Crew closeup.jpg
Crew closeup
Lightened paint still looks good compared to the darker version on the RC model..jpg
Lightened paint still looks good compared to the darker version on the RC model.
Dragon kits are worth the money especially as research kits for RC versions..jpg
Dragon kits are worth the money especially as research kits for RC versions.
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Soeren » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Uhh, flash on track links is horrible. Nice result you got. Will see what great you make of the big one.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Return to Tanks