Dragon 1/6 M4A3.....Conversion to M4A2 thanks to Woz

Got any static model tanks? If so post them here.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Dragon 1/6 M4A3.....Conversion to M4A2 thanks to Woz

Post by BarryC »

Well I've purchased (pre-orded) the latest release of the Dragon 1/6 M4A3 Sherman. I really wanted the Firefly but appears I'm too late for that. :'(

The larger the canvas the more detail opportunities. :D

I do intend/want to make it into an RC model. I've been cruising Field of Armors' and East Coast Armory's sights and if I invest a small fortune should be doable! :O

I'll be selling some of my 1/16 kits to make room for it!

Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Pak36
Private

Re: Dragon 1/6 M4A3.....Have I lost my mind?

Post by Pak36 »

Of course you have.

You are totally and utterly bonkers. Spending all that money on a plastic tank.

Am I jealous....bloody hell yes.
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Pak36 wrote:Of course you have.

You are totally and utterly bonkers. Spending all that money on a plastic tank.

Am I jealous....bloody hell yes.
I really like to do the detail work and I think this will be the perfect canvas to do some extremely nice detail work. I'm hoping I can pull together the funds to purchase the necessary upgrades to make it RC. :thumbup:

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi Barry,

I’ve built it into a static model a few years ago. The kit also contains parts for the 75mm gun version and it is the one i built. ECA did provide many essential parts, such as the commander cupola that Dragon got totally wrong. There is no cast finish on the kit parts, a big putty job. There are alignment issues with the parts that need heavy correction. Pretty much everything on the hull and turret needs to be redone so i think you will have a lot of fun at that scale, and making everything functional... there are no limits. The plastic is also quite thin, a lot of effort will be required to reinforce it to make it RC but it is certainly doable. The suspension, road wheels and tracks will not be the easiest to make functional, they are not strong. My guess is that the tank will be more brass than plastic once you are done. There is also a nice M2 50 cal MG that is available at that scale and which adds a lot to the model. The book “Son of Sherman” really helped me sort out the various sub versions and select the right combination of components. Oh, and the application of realistic cast lettering all over is also essential at that scale.

Can’t wait to see what you will do to it. Please create a build.

Regarde, Louis
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

lmcq11 wrote:Hi Barry,

I’ve built it into a static model a few years ago. The kit also contains parts for the 75mm gun version and it is the one i built. ECA did provide many essential parts, such as the commander cupola that Dragon got totally wrong. There is no cast finish on the kit parts, a big putty job. There are alignment issues with the parts that need heavy correction. Pretty much everything on the hull and turret needs to be redone so i think you will have a lot of fun at that scale, and making everything functional... there are no limits. The plastic is also quite thin, a lot of effort will be required to reinforce it to make it RC but it is certainly doable. The suspension, road wheels and tracks will not be the easiest to make functional, they are not strong. My guess is that the tank will be more brass than plastic once you are done. There is also a nice M2 50 cal MG that is available at that scale and which adds a lot to the model. The book “Son of Sherman” really helped me sort out the various sub versions and select the right combination of components. Oh, and the application of realistic cast lettering all over is also essential at that scale.

Can’t wait to see what you will do to it. Please create a build.

Regarde, Louis

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your input and insight into the kits short comings. I hope to be able at minimum to be able to afford the F.O.A. running gear including tracks, $$$$$$. :O

I am sure I will have many questions "once" the build is underway which is "sometime" in the future.

Cheers,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
Aljones34
Private

Post by Aljones34 »

Hi, Barry
Not mad at all, I’ve been looking at these for the last month just can’t bring myself to hit the “ checkout” button.
Will definitely be following when the build starts and I’d also go with the FOA upgrades.
Good luck with it.
Alan
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Dragon 1/6 M4A3.....Conversion to M4A2 thanks to Woz

Post by BarryC »

So it begins but it will be a long, long, long journey!

Thanks to the wonderful world of Woz I now have a M4A2 Engine Deck. Woz graciously scaled up his 1/16 M4A2 and adjusted it to fit the Dragon kit measurements.

Here are some pics of it fitted to the upper hull. Plan is to build it into a USMC A2 used on Siapan. I have ordered running gear from East Coast Armory. Detailing this is going to be awesome fun, the scale leaves very little that can't be accurately modeled. :clap:

Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

That's great Barry, each of those Pacific USMC Shermans were quite unique and colorful in terms of individual field modifications. :thumbup:

And that for sure is a nice, big and expensive 3D printed part, a much needed replacement. Not sure how much of the original Dragon parts will be left at the end though.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Barry I can only imagine the level of detail you will implement on this large piece. :thumbup:

BTW what 1:16 kits will you be parting with my friend...
Tanks alot.... :wave:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

c.rainford73 wrote:BTW what 1:16 kits will you be parting with my friend...
Carl,

Though they are both gone they were Tamiya, Pershing and JGSDF Type 10.

I may have to do another "purge" before it's all said and done. :(

Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Tanks”