Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Achtung! I am a newbie to electronics. :S

I have swapped "out of the box" electronics from Taigen/Torro and HengLong, and I did some simple electronics in my WCP 4X4 (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32221&hilit=Jeep), but that's it so far.

Now I am working on an Asiatam Famo. The build is at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33379&hilit=Famo. I am posting here in the electronics section like a fisherman dangling a worm on a hook, trying to catch one or more of you electronics wizards who can help the benighted like me.

Of course, my gratitude will be great, but, alas, it won't even buy you a cup of coffee. ;)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Here is a photo of the electronics Asiatam sent me when I bought the Famo kit about 5 or 6 years ago. This seems to be Asiatam's motherboard of sorts. ??? The kit came with some instructions titled "Servo Multi - Function Control Unit." The instructions do show a multi-function board, but it was not included and I cannot now find it on the Asiatam web site. From what I can surmise, the board shown in the photo here is actually to be linked to the (mysterious) "multi-function control unit."
Famo Inventory _12.JPG
My objective is to have some means of running the tracks (obviously) and if possible, coordinating the track steering with the front wheels (which will use a servo). I would also like Maybach engine sound, and Taigen's V3 board with interchangeable sound modules are familiar to me, as I have been putting V3 into earlier Torro and Taigen tanks.

I also have other boards I picked up all at once, with no instructions or TX or RX. Here is what I have from identifications I was helped with here on RCTW a year or so ago.

Elmod Fusion and Turnigy
Elmod Fusion & Turnigy.jpg
Benedini TBS Mini Clark TK20
Benedini TBS Mini Clark TK20.JPG
IBU V2
IBU V2.jpg
For transmitters I have a Flysky FS-i6X 6-10(Default 6)CH 2.4GHz AFHDS RC Transmitter w/ FS-iA6B Receiver, a Multiplex Smart SX FLEXX with receiver, and lots of Taigen V3 TX, boards, and sound modules.

So, can anyone walk me through one of the options I seem to have. My first step is to get the Famo electronics laid out and tested to see if I can achieve my objectives of coordinated track and front wheel steering and Maybach sound.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Being a novice myself, I would highly recommend the Elmod option. Download the Elmod app to your computer/laptop and look for the sound profile you want. Mixing the track movements and steering should be something achievable through programming your radio mixes. A shout out to Rad wouldn’t hurt either. He’s definitely my “go to” expert.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Elmod make a Torro M16 specific control board that provides all that a Half Track needs including engine sound although resetting the sound to a Maybach engine is a question best answered by someone more familiar with the Elmod board but it does provide power, lights,steering, and direction of travel plus the added extras of turret and gun control,
I do not know if anyone has made this conversion but in his position I would certainly give it a look :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you! I was expecting the Elmod to be favored among the three. I will download the software if I can (always a tenuous internet connection here in rural America) and see what I can learn about the M16-specific board. However, I am still open to (fishing for, begging for) more ideas of the K.I.S.S. variety. :haha:
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Not an expert either? I follow the same opinion as "Jimster" see with Rad, who is still one of the high priests of electronics on RCTW and good advice :thumbup:
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
the Elmod M16 is not the right electronic for the Famo.
The Famo have two drive motors and the M16 only one Motor
therefore the Elmod M16 have only one integrated esc.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi, I got a PM from Herr Professor, but I thought it would be better to answer it here, in case some more people have questions.

I took a look at the thread and you have a nice bunch of options there.
I have no Famo, neither I have seen one in person, but first of all you have to check what is the available room inside of it, to check if the electronics fit inside of the model or not.
What I would do is for sure different of what I recommend you to do, because you want a KISS solution. But doing a fast overview the options you have, and considering everything fits, you have:

IBU 2 BASE: Oh, memories... That was my second hobby grade board, it should provide you all the control and options you need, but you will need to plug a servo to a spare channel in the radio for having servo steering. I have seen it comes with the audio amplifyer attached, you can remove it, the sound the board provides is in my opinion more than adequate. I believe this option would be the easiest for you.

Old Elmod. Pretty much like the IBU and the need of servo in the spare channel. But keep in mind there will be a inertia/momentum that you cannot remove. Some people absolutely love it (For example Herr Jimster) some people hate it, and some are in between like me. So it is your choice.

Clark board: I would stay away from it, I don't like clark products and triggering the functions means very advanced radio programming which you cannot do with your current radio equipment or playing mortal kombat-street fighter 2 with the control sticks.

Benedini board: That would be my personal choice, but you need a double speed controller (about 10-15 eur) The Benedini will provide you all the sounds and lights needed. But at the other hand those boards are very complicated to satisfactorily use (hence is the only one electronic I had to write tutorials in my website!) and you will pretty much need a better radio, which I always say is the most important part of the hobby and is a must, and you only need one. https://radindustries.wordpress.com/2020/06/25/radios/

Small example of what the benedini board does can be seen here, viewtopic.php?f=209&t=33312&p=329998&hi ... si#p329998 with more info in my website entry. I think it is feature rich enough even for the hungriest RC function modeller.

Hope it throws you some light.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Koenigstiger 007
Recruit

Post by Koenigstiger 007 »

Hello,

here are the best =

https://www.sgs-electronic.de/webshop/c ... nfahrzeuge

I use for my FAMO a TVC-B-10 unit in combination with a very good Benedini-Sound - all with 12 Volt. It runs very well ! First I took the asiaram-unit - very bad sound and the steeringg servo was not strong enough.

Best greetings

Guenther
>>make love - not Schrott (scrap metal)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Rad and Königstiger007: You have both given me much to consider, and I will be able to continue in a few days after I finish my continuing retirement work of writing a monthly magazine column. I will start by reconsidering the Benedini board. I also want to look into some electronics you have mentioned on your own web pages.

Rad, I agree that your posting here could be of help to others. If anyone doesn't know of Rad yet, I must say that his help has been of outstanding benefit to me and his stencils sit front and center on my modeling table.

Königstiger007: I can se that although you have been here on RCTW for long than I have, and I am grateful for your posting in response to my query. Mit miner Dankbarkeit,

Ed

Return to “Other electronics”