Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Electronics for Asiatam Famo - for the benighted

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I am grateful for the recommendation of Herr Hamm (if I remember correctly) for one of these
SKY TOPPOWER DC Variable 30V 5A 3-Digital Single-Output 110V Lab Variable Power Supply
71AlqX-ghcL._SX522_.jpg
71AlqX-ghcL._SX522_.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
The gizmo works fine, but I got slivers trying to figure out how it works. The instructions that come packed in the box with the gizmo are risible, missing the most basic and useful of information as, for example, which knob controls what function. Here's an illustration to save anyone who considers buying one some head scratching.
front panel ID.jpg
front panel ID.jpg (44.57 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
I am having fun with the gizmo testing small DC motors I have salvaged from all kinds of sources. I can imagine some other uses I will have for this variable DC voltage tester, too, especially for model trains.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I am s-l-o-o-w, but still moving on the Famo electronics. After much :think: I bought a "full option" module, TVC-TRF-05-HTR_V2, from SGS Electronics, and it arrived late last week. This is especially suitable to the FAMO and has been revised (V2). Herr Rainer Stelzer has been most helpful, and I recommend him to anyone searching for a module for RC control (not just AFVs).

The instructions for the module are in German only. The German is no problem for me, but I might need help with few technical terms---and I will definitely have questions as I begin to set up and test the electronics. My first question was: What is a "BEC"? I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxm6In0SzPE if it's any help to others.

Moving slowly and learning,
Ed
a65l
Recruit

Post by a65l »

BEC is Battery Eliminator Circuit. So you don't need a receiver battery, usually associated with an Electronic Speed Control. The ESC (or in your case, module) will power the receiver from an onboard regulator.

There are english instructions for the module, I think they're on the information page for the item. I know i have a downloaded .pdf here somewhere, if you need it.
A little nonsense now and then
Is treasured by the wisest men
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Indeed, the URL I cited explains the BEC quite well, even to explain that "eliminator" is rather an overstatement left over from a different sort of radio control. The ESCs I have used all have BECs built in them. As to English instructions, I have seen none for the version 2 (new) of the full option module. (https://www.sgs-electronic.de/webshop/p ... -trf-05-ht. The German is not a problem for me.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I am starting, with great trepidation, to lay out the SGS TVC-TRF-05-H5 HT8 electronics for the Asiatam Famo. 8O

Earlier this month a651 wrote that a "BEC is Battery Eliminator Circuit. So you don't need a receiver battery, usually associated with an Electronic Speed Control. The ESC (or in your case, module) will power the receiver from an onboard regulator."

So if I understand correctly, I can hook the battery (7.2-7.4V) to the SGS TVC-TRF-05-H5 HT8 module and the FlySky FS-iA6B receiver to the SGS module, each to the connector indicated in the instructions. With this arrangement, I do not need an ESC to cut down the voltage, and I will not burn out the receiver, right?
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: So if I understand correctly, I can hook the battery (7.2-7.4V) to the SGS TVC-TRF-05-H5 HT8 module and the FlySky FS-iA6B receiver to the SGS module, each to the connector indicated in the instructions. With this arrangement, I do not need an ESC to cut down the voltage, and I will not burn out the receiver, right?
apologies for the late response
I am on a business trip
Yes, youre right.
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

sorry for the question .... but a nice IBU2 doesn't solve everything? It seems to me a very complicated road that you have taken

Regards
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

This is‘nt a very complicated road.
The SGS is for Halftrucks and run out of the box, without any parametrisation.
Connect the Motors, trottle - steering from receiver and power, that’s all.
So you have the basic functionality, the Famo should move…
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Your response was fast, Herr Hamm! And I am grateful. This is not a complicated project at all, and the SGS module is designed specifically for the Famo. But I am quite inexperienced with the electronics, with no other RC wizard nearby, and I am cautious. (OK I'm chicken! :D ) I will move to the next step after finishing this busy week. Thanks so much for the help.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I have been busy with hobby projects, and, I admit, like Elmer Fudd, I am being vewwy vewwy cawful. I have been accumulating from my parts boxes various electronics for my FAMO. Any warnings, such as "no, you idiot! Don't put those together!" would be much appreciated.

SGS Full-Option Module (complete with sound, mixer for steering, horn, lights, background sounds, winch motor control--really cool if I get it all working).
SGS FAMO FO Module.jpg
SGS FAMO FO Module.jpg (251.5 KiB) Viewed 871 times

FlySky Receiver:
FS iA6b.jpg
FS iA6b.jpg (247.37 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Seuthe Smoke Unit:

Seuthe Smoke Unit.jpg
Seuthe Smoke Unit.jpg (199.11 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Visaton Speaker:

Visaton 7 Speaker.jpg
Visaton 7 Speaker.jpg (193.55 KiB) Viewed 871 times
I am about to head out for a cross-country train trip, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA to Sacramento, California USA and then on by a newfangled flyin' machine to Spokane to visit a newborn.

Return to “Other electronics”