General Tank Electrics Questions

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

General Tank Electrics Questions

Post by MikeHamilton »

Good morning,

Sorry for so many newbie questions about my Torro Pro King Tiger, I'll try to make them short, so here goes:

I'm in the process of strengthening the hull and deck of my new Torro Pro King Tiger and also replacing the electrics with an IBU2U Full and using a FlySky receiver with it, GI smoker and a decent speaker. So far so good.

1 - Is it acceptable / safe / wise to charge the 4600mah NiMh battery I have whilst it is in situ?
The reason for asking is that I have bought myself a decent charger with a large Tamiya battery plug and was wondering that if I were to make up a lead with a jack plug at one end and a large Tamiya battery socket at the other, whether it would be OK to charge the battery that way using the tank's built in charging socket?

2 - The main gun flash is very very bright. Looking on YouTube etc. it looks as though the majority of gun flashes are red / orange in colour and not bright white. Is it OK to put a small amount of red/ orange acrylic paint on the bulb to tone the flash down? Obviously waiting a decent length of time to allow the paint to dry.

3 - As the King Tiger has a metal turret, is it possible to run the gun recoil and elevation run off servos? If so, what do I need and how do I go about doing it?

Thank you.
‘Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes’ - Oscar Wilde
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: General Tank Electrics Questions

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello,

to answer your questions,
1: I personally prefer to charge my Nimh batteries out of the tank, at least allow you to see if a problem, and no confidence in the Jacks sockets, I also advise to replace the Tam. Sockets with Deans, more serious contacts
2: color of the flash, at Tamiya the flash is sheathed orange, otherwise keep the bulb slightly back from the end of the barrel, but it is also possible to paint it
3: yes it is quite possible to do the lifting and the retreat with servos, see in the post "Tips" of this forum and also on youtube, otherwise there are ready-made systems,
https://www.rctank.de/Unitee-de-recul-d ... en-metal_1
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

Thank you. I’ll take a look at the site you mentioned when I get chance.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Revell do translucent pots of enamel in red, orange etc which is perfect for tinting lighting.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Revell do translucent pots of enamel in red, orange etc which is perfect for tinting lighting.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Thank you. I’ve got some quite translucent Tamiya, which I’ll have a go with once I get to that stage.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Many, many years ago, my late father built the electrics for my model railway. He used white grain of rice bulbs for the colour light signals, and used my mother’s nail varnish to colour the red ones. No idea what she thought of it….
MikeHamilton
Lance Corporal

Post by MikeHamilton »

I’ve had a look at the links which Jofaur86 posted and other ones on YouTube etc. and the builds look to be beyond my modelling / engineering capabilities. I’m a total newbie to RC.

However trawling around the inter web, I was wondering whether if either of these will do the job for servo recoil and elevation? I have a Taigen Pro King Tiger - metal turret.

I already have an IBU2U, so that should get over compatibility issues.

https://www.rctankelectronics.com/store ... _Unit.html

http://www.clark-model.com/eng/kit_116_ ... /index.htm

If the Clark one is the way to go, where do I get one from (preferably in the U.K., so I don’t have to pay huge amounts of carriage / import duties etc.) as Tank Zone are on the vendor’s black list?

Would I need to do much hacking about to fit either one?

Or do the hive mind have any other recommendations / ideas?

Thank you.

Return to “Other electronics”