batteries and chargers for tamiya tanks

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
paulc
Private

batteries and chargers for tamiya tanks

Post by paulc »

Hi all i am looking to invest in new batteries and a good charger for my tamiya tanks. i am looking to replace with new NiMh type batteries what brand do people recommend and what is a good charger
Tamiya tanks X2 Shermans, JS2, KV1,KV2, Pershing, x2 Tiger, King tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer.
Heng long Panzer III
Torro Sturmtiger
Tamiya / Torro Jagdtiger
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: batteries and chargers for tamiya tanks

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

paulc wrote:Hi all i am looking to invest in new batteries and a good charger for my tamiya tanks. i am looking to replace with new NiMh type batteries what brand do people recommend and what is a good charger
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... batteries/
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Tubby
Recruit

Post by Tubby »

Overlander Tornado batteries are excellent and the only batteries that I buy.

The 3300mah is very good value for money, and I buy mine from Jadlam Racings eBay store.

As for chargers, you want a good peak detection charger.

I use a rather cheap and cheerful B6AC, which are also sold under Skymax, and find it to be very good.
Tubby
Recruit

Post by Tubby »

If you power the charger with 230v, you will need a 12v 2a supply, which can be easily bought from eBay for as little as £2
Attachments
_20210507_201738.JPG
_20210507_201720.JPG
_20210507_201720.JPG (81.08 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Absolutely agree with that choice although the charger in the link is s B6 whereas the slightly more expensive B6AC has a built in 240v plug and a 12v DC plug. Take care, sellers are calling B6 models B6AC models when they are not. Those NiMhs are great packs and great value, up to 5000mah too.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
paulc wrote:Hi all i am looking to invest in new batteries and a good charger for my tamiya tanks. i am looking to replace with new NiMh type batteries what brand do people recommend and what is a good charger
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... batteries/
So I want to replace my Nimh batteries and stumbled across this thread and the above blog. Given me some really good insights. The Li-Ion sound like a good way to go as the lipo worry me a little, you know fires and explosions and all that :D . Have found some items on the t’internet and some sense checking before I invest would be awesome, to make sure I have understood correctly so I can justify not getting the boys man united ronaldo shirts whilst I buy batteries :D :D :D

So first thing I’ve found is the Li-Ion battery pack, tamiya connector and what seems to be a balance lead too, 7.4v, 2200mah so not masses of capacity, I could easily buy two, they do a 5200 version with an xt60 connector but it’s out of stock. I can get an xt60 to tamiya connector easy too.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/442631

https://www.overlander.co.uk/liion-batt ... quare.html

Charger I’ve found on hobby king, the b6v2, I can get a dc power supply off Amazon easy enough.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/skyrc-imax- ... _analytics

So I guess the question is does the above stack up? My current tank weighs 6kg, has the dual driving hang long gearboxes in so I think it will be ok.

For the battery that has the balance cable what do I need to get it connected to the charger and why doesn’t the 5200 mah have one, is it ok without?

Thanks for any help in advance and excuse any glaring misunderstandings I have!

Cheers, Dave.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Old fashioned, cautious? NiHMs are so reliable and safe and are available in all sorts of capacities. Only buy known, quality manufacturers examples. That way you'll get the
claimed spec. If there is a good reason to use Lithium based cells then use good know manufacturers examples and in hard cases. This will cost more but if you value your model then why skimp on safety. When a battery decides to blow it can tear the model apart and the fire that follows is impossible to extinguish until it's run its course. In years of racing l've seen it happen all too often. Why take the risk when you don't need to?

NiHMs don't have a balance lead. That said, a NiMH can make quite a mess if you short it out so always take care. Charging bags are very cheap. Your eyes are very hard to replace?

Old fashioned, cautious? Maybe just common sense.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Gillaspy2005 wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote: lipo worry me a little, you know fires and explosions and all that :D
In our club we are using dozens of Lipos from 15 years and we have ZERO accidents. No fire or explosions BUT! We keep them in metal boxes and remove from models after use.
I agree that li-on are way to go. I'm thinking about put in models, make charging cable available via hatch and never open tanks again ;)
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Kaczor wrote:
Gillaspy2005 wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote: lipo worry me a little, you know fires and explosions and all that :D
In our club we are using dozens of Lipos from 15 years and we have ZERO accidents. No fire or explosions BUT! We keep them in metal boxes and remove from models after use.
I agree that li-on are way to go. I'm thinking about put in models, make charging cable available via hatch and never open tanks again ;)
Would be about the same with my RC Tank club. I would guess that 8 in 10 use only Lipos, 1 in ten uses both Lipos and NiMH, and 1 in 10 uses only NiMH.
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

I was looking at lion batteries but the discharge rates seem pretty low. What is the amp draw of a tamiya with 540 motors, or a CS with 550 motors?

Return to “Other electronics”