batteries and chargers for tamiya tanks

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: batteries and chargers for tamiya tanks

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The draw on your battery will depend on the wind of your motor, the commutator advance etc but any stock 27 turn or more 540 can will not cause any problems.

Lion cells vary in output quite considerably so you'll need to shop around and maybe pay a little more to find something suitable , but they are out there.

On a general note, model tanks do not draw that much current compared with, say, 1/10 racing saloons which can draw so much that l've seen solder on motor lead terminals melt, including silver solder! I know we have more weight to haul around and lots of additional small electronic devices fitted but still our racing brothers are the ones pushing the cell development. Maybe someday we'll see the benefits of 1:1 electric car cell development but 1/10 racing has been using traction control, ABS and battery recharging on overun for more than 20 years so maybe to date they are learning from us!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Curiously enough, the B6AC units being sold on eBay UK go for around £25; but I saw one on Amazon for almost £70, and similar-looking units for around £40. Is there some well-known doubt about authenticity here? :think:
... Yes, well, I suppose that could sound like a rhetorical question- given that China seems to make most of the 'genuine' products, as well as most of the fakes.
One peed-off customer on Amazon wrote 'Fake' in bold letters for a lookalike, and asserted that genuine items should have some sort of hologram on the back. (Would that be 'Rimmer', from 'Red Dwarf', perhaps?)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Turnigy Accucell 6 charger, worth a look.
Ps, any battery not looked after can go bad,
In our club we had a model boat explode when switched on using a NIMH pack......the reason, it was charged in the model and the pack vented...hydrogen gas built up and when switched on ..booom !
Always remove batteries for charging or make sure it is FULLY vented with a good airflow over the model.
Again common sense..but...
Regards.
Sub.
General Jumbo01

The SkyRC imax B6AC V2 in front of me now does have a hologram sticker on it. The 5 yr old imax B6AC across my desk does too. Fakes? Don't know, but both low priced and work great. The v2 just has a couple more functions. I feel sure they would both have been manufactured in China. That's the same China where holograms are produced.

The problems reported in this forum concerning the B6 and B6AC all referred to readings being displayed by the units being incorrect but on reading this l checked my older one, and since then my newer one, and both were within a couple of percent at worse but the user can recalibrate the units to overcome any problems (the manual tells you how). I bought a second one simply so l could charge more than one pack at a time at very little cost. And let's face it.... any charger would be better than the USB ones supplied with the tanks!

Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

What would you say would be the minimum continuous discharge rate necessary for a 7.4v tank and a 12v tank?
General Jumbo01

I would suggest you put a meter on your tanks and drive them up a slope with all servos operating and see. No two models will be the same.

Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

phpBB [video]

For your edumacation.
Gillaspy2005
Lance Corporal

Post by Gillaspy2005 »

Hi everyone,

Bit of an update and also a question as I am completely baffled. So I went out and bought the items below. Happy with them all, the charger is decent for the price. Got two batteries to compare performance, sp a 5200 mah li-ion and a 3300 nimh. Wanted to give a bit of a test between the two. So if people are looking for items I would say these are decent.

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/n ... t-sku-2588

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/o ... ac-charger

https://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/e ... b-config-9

I cant see any performance difference between them, which is worrying.

The worst bit is that I am getting about 10 mins runtime with both.

So the tank is a weighty chap, 6kg. Running dual current Heng long gearboxes, tarr smoker which I have split the power and the fan onto separate plugs so I get a decent amount of smoke, got a servo recoil on it and barrel flash, all off an ibu2u. Everything is working properly, just not for very long.

I guess my question is, is the tank just heavy and doing a lot so that's what I will get? That doesn't in my gut feel right. If not what the living feck am I doing wrong. Electronics aren't my strong suit so please be gentle, however I like the hobby and want to get to grips with it so I'll listen very carefully to any advice ImageImage

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Gillaspy2005 wrote:Hi everyone,
Bit of an update and also a question as I am completely baffled. So I went out and bought the items below. Happy with them all, the charger is decent for the price. Got two batteries to compare performance, sp a 5200 mah li-ion and a 3300 nimh. Wanted to give a bit of a test between the two. So if people are looking for items I would say these are decent.

I cant see any performance difference between them, which is worrying.

The worst bit is that I am getting about 10 mins runtime with both.
That cannot be. With a 5000mah battery I get near 5 hours full time running time in all my tanks, which have more lights than a christmas tree and play non stop music and battle sounds.

I wonder if the batteries are not fully loaded or something like that, because it is not normal at all.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01

I'll second that. Generally speaking, l've found SMC supportive over problems in the past (RC boat related).

I only now use Overlander NiMHs as they are reliable and low cost, always exceeding spec. I avoid Li-lon packs simply because they rarely meet spec, particularly Samsung cells, mainly because so many are fakes! Overlander 3300 packs should last more than 30 mins of continued use with all the bells and whistles on so it would appear that either your charger is faulty or you are not charging correctly. Charge your 3300 from near flat in peak Nihm mode and if the charger is worth its salt it should tell you how many mah the cells have absorbed when it peaks. From flat, this should be 3300 or more. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Other electronics”