Taigen V3 fan removal

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
jcole134
Recruit

Taigen V3 fan removal

Post by jcole134 »

Hello, I'm using the default V3 controller that came with both of my Torro/Taigen Tanks (Panther G and JS-2) but I've noticed that the fan that comes attached to the V3 board is quite noisy. Is there any real reason the fan needs to be there? I mean, I know it's for cooling but has anyone removed the fan and done any testing to see what would happen if it were removed?
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Taigen V3 fan removal

Post by Kaczor »

Heng Long boards don't have a fan. Put heat sink there and check temperature :)
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I asked this question just a few weeks ago of Dave at Forgebear, the UK distributor), as l was looking to reduce size and make space. His recommendation was to keep the fan operational as Taigen/Torro obviously felt it was necessary and any warranty would become void. It made sense.

Maybe you could position the mfu so that the fan was not close to any vents or openings in the tank hull. What you can't do is wrap it in sound deadening wadding! ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jcole134
Recruit

Post by jcole134 »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I asked this question just a few weeks ago of Dave at Forgebear, the UK distributor), as l was looking to reduce size and make space. His recommendation was to keep the fan operational as Taigen/Torro obviously felt it was necessary and any warranty would become void. It made sense.

Maybe you could position the mfu so that the fan was not close to any vents or openings in the tank hull. What you can't do is wrap it in sound deadening wadding! ;)
I know what your saying. Unfortunately I would have already voided any warranty the moment I took it out into the Garden after a good downpour meaning it got muddy lol. I am instead looking at buying the IBU2 Full Option 8 channel control board and included Flysky remote/receiver from http://www.rctank.de
https://www.rctank.de/IBU2U-Ultimate-FU ... e-receiver
Last edited by jcole134 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcole134
Recruit

Post by jcole134 »

Kaczor wrote:Heng Long boards don't have a fan. Put heat sink there and check temperature :)
I have thought of doing that for now lol.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Hi
Heng Long in TK 6.1 uses thermal pads and an aluminum housing instead of a fan. And note that MOSFET's in 6.1 MFU the Maximum Junction Temperature can be 175 ° C :
" Maximum Drain-Source Voltage 30V
Continuous Drain Current 80A (25 ° C)
Continuous Drain Current 60A (100 ° C)
Drain Current (pulsed) 320A
Total Power Dissipation - 150W ( at TC = 25 ° C )
Maximum Junction Temperature - 175 ° C "

So I don't think there could be more in Taigen V3. Rather, it is far below these values.

So, as Kaczor said - you can use a suitable flat heat sink, but don't forget about thermal pads so that heat can be quickly transferred to the heat sinks. And don't forget to check that the second set of MOSFETs are also not mounted on the bottom of the MFU ( like in HL )

Note! The aluminum heat sink can't touch anything but the MOSFETs - otherwise you risk a short circuit with the rest of the MFU electronic components.
General Jumbo01
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

A heatsink needs to be fitted to a heat conducting surface and one that is currently absorbing the mfu heat. The plastic casing will not perform that function, which is no doubt why Taigen use a more expensive fan. Maybe a quieter fan could be found?

Edit, written while the above post was bring posted!! :(
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Turn the volume up to '11' and use a good speaker !!..............Fan ?, what fan ?? :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I line the Hull floor and sides with "Velcro" as well as the base of all the fixtures within the Hull,
This provides a number of advantages over the screw down method adopted by Heng Long/Taigen/Torro including the ability to absorb both excess noise and heat at the same time the ease with which fittings can be removed or relocated while at the same time being securely positioned.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Other electronics”