Li Ion BMS Protection Board/Anyone Use Them?

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Li Ion BMS Protection Board/Anyone Use Them?

Post by Jimster »

I’ve seen these advertised and also mentioned on YouTube videos but does anybody here actually use them on their Lithium Ion battery packs? They are very inexpensive but should I bother with adding them to my batteries? I haven’t had any trouble so far but would these enable me to utilize the telemetry on my radio to monitor my tank’s battery level. It would be cool to be able to see when my battery is about to die simply by looking at my radio’s screen.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Li Ion BMS Protection Board/Anyone Use Them?

Post by c.rainford73 »

Jimster does this actually interact with your radio I assume?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Not really sure. I’m still “learning” my radio but there’s supposed to be a way to monitor the tank’s battery level on my radio screen. I’ve looked over my very lengthy manual but can’t quite figure out how. I thought it might be one of the benefits of having this Battery Monitoring System board wired to my battery. I was hoping some of our forum members might have some experience with this. Upgrading my electronics has become it’s own rabbit hole but so far I love the free fall. Sure has added to the fun factor of rc tank driving!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

No need to use protection boards. Unlike LiPos, cells wont be damaged when overdischarged
Some cells come already chip protected from factory. But they limit the discharge rate making them not OK for our models. (that was the problem of the cells I recommended you to fit in the radio)

Also most of the tank electronics now tell you when you run out of juice. The elmod clearly says "Low battery", but I replaced it with "We ran out of ammo!"

If that is not enough, with the Elmod bluetooth module you can see in your mobile phone how much battery is left.

But I agree is better to see it in the radio screen, so then you need to buy some sensors which need to be the same brand and compatible with the receiver you are using. Voltage, temperature, speed, GPS cordinates and more can be seen in the radio screen.

In my opinion even when a super cool feature, it is not really needed in the tanks, but critic in planes.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

“We ran out of ammo” That’s awesome! Maybe I’ll have it say, “We ran out of petrol”. Thanks for the info. You’re a great source of info and I really appreciate your time.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jimster wrote:“We ran out of ammo” That’s awesome! Maybe I’ll have it say, “We ran out of petrol”. Thanks for the info. You’re a great source of info and I really appreciate your time.
Lol yes but I did not find that voice in my stash but I might have it though. Just way too many sounds to keep checking, lol. I keep changing sounds anyway, I used to have "The war is lost, abandon all hope" "Motor impact!!!" (hence it does not move anymore) and plenty more, lol. Well, now we mention, I dont even know which one I have right now. I know at some point I fitted the ammo one, lol.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Where do you get your voice sound files from Rad?
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

B_Man wrote:Where do you get your voice sound files from Rad?
Plenty of them made by myself, others extracted from videogames with some dedicated software. Also from movies and youtube.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Think you need this one!

phpBB [video]

Return to “Other electronics”