Transmitters and receivers

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
BlueWotsit57
Private

Transmitters and receivers

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

With my R/c boats often I would use TX / RX combos which allow for so many extra things such as lights, rotating masts etc

I know Heng Long TXs are fixed without additional RX units which I think is frustrating but thats one of the downsides of these. But with other brands like Tamiya

How many channels are optimum ?

1 or 2 possibly for motors

1 for turret rotation / elevation

1 for main gun

1 for machine gun

1 for spotlights

So thats 5 possibly 6 channels that I can see in my novice experience so far in the hobby.

So what Transmitters and RX units do other members of the group use ?

With my boats I used Futaba until the receivers became stupid money, and more lately Spectrums - however my boat transmitters I have the left stick set up for sails, so its on a ratchet as opposed to a spring.
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Transmitters and receivers

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Nowadays 8 ch is a minimum for most rc tanks electronics. Some of them even use 16. There are way more functions to trigger than the ones you mentioned.

I recommend the frsky QX7 radio or even better, the Jumper T16. This one might be the best radio in the market and for what it does, price is a bargain.

Stay away from Futaba radios, unbelievable overpriced for ancient technology, and from spektrum, way too expensive and you lack flexibility you will end needing at some point.

Of course for an old tamiya tank with stock electronics any plain 4ch radio with christals will work, but IMHO is fun for the first 5 minutes.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Rad some interesting words

- as mentioned I am a novice where tanks are concerned so listed what I thought were a few options for different channels, a couple more I have thought of could be smoke and engine noise (though why latter would want to be turned off I dont know) what other things can channels be used for
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

BlueWotsit57 wrote:Rad some interesting words

- as mentioned I am a novice where tanks are concerned so listed what I thought were a few options for different channels, a couple more I have thought of could be smoke and engine noise (though why latter would want to be turned off I dont know) what other things can channels be used for
Well, some functions in some of my tanks:
Tons of user sounds, horn, musics, marches and so on.
You mention one machine gun... tanks had 2, 3 and even 4!
More lights, convoy lights, spotlights, blinkers in modern tanks, interior lights...
Moving parts like hatches, moving tank commanders, rotating cuppolas...
Some boards lets you use complex battle system and lets you use "piercing rounds" or "High explosive rounds"
Basically, the limit is your imagination. Dont let the radio be your limit.
One of my tanks here:
phpBB [video]

Note the tank commander is shouting some commander voices and then the orders are executed. All those extra things take channels and radio software flexibility.
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

definitely similar to how I have been with some of my boats over the years - hear a new idea and try and install it LOL

Do you tend to have the motors on separate channels or single channels usually

That is awesome
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

BlueWotsit57 wrote:definitely similar to how I have been with some of my boats over the years - hear a new idea and try and install it LOL

Do you tend to have the motors on separate channels or single channels usually

That is awesome
You are always going to need two channels for the main motors. No matter the electronics you use, you need two for them.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Most of the aftermarket boards available today will operate on a 4-channel radio but most guys really like a 6 channel so they can add extras, like lights, or volume control. Personally, I like my FlySky I-10.

There are some very good 6 channel radios out there, and like Rad said, 8 is good, but I really like having ten. I'd rather have two channels that I'm not using than be 2 channels short for what I want to do.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Max-U52 wrote:Most of the aftermarket boards available today will operate on a 4-channel radio but most guys really like a 6 channel so they can add extras, like lights, or volume control. Personally, I like my FlySky I-10.

There are some very good 6 channel radios out there, and like Rad said, 8 is good, but I really like having ten. I'd rather have two channels that I'm not using than be 2 channels short for what I want to do.
You should also mention operating aftermarket boards with 4 channels means not being able to use half (and even more) of the functions.
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

I have had flysky in the past - but am I correct in thinking that one of the main controls is on a ratchet and not a spring loaded one - I use ratchets on my sail boats, but is spring loaded not better for tanks ?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

BlueWotsit57 wrote:I have had flysky in the past - but am I correct in thinking that one of the main controls is on a ratchet and not a spring loaded one - I use ratchets on my sail boats, but is spring loaded not better for tanks ?
You are correct in your assumption, one toggle is not self centering, but I don't think they're all a ratchet. My lad has a Flysky, and it has the conversion that most tankers use.
You can purchase a kit that converts the non sprung toggle.
Like this.

Transmitter Stick Centering Spring Kit
https://www.rctankelectronics.com/store ... g_Kit.html
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Other electronics”