Transmitters and receivers

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Transmitters and receivers

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

BlueWotsit57 wrote:I have had flysky in the past - but am I correct in thinking that one of the main controls is on a ratchet and not a spring loaded one - I use ratchets on my sail boats, but is spring loaded not better for tanks ?
Most people seems to love spring loaded throttle. Not my case. ;)
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Most people seems to love spring loaded throttle. Not my case. ;)
Most NORMAL people love spring loaded throttles :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

If I understand you correctly, yes, spring loaded is used with tanks. We call it "self-centering", and it's one of the first things I do to any radio I buy that's not so equipped. And please keep in mind that the i10 is very different from the flysky 6 channel radios. This is the easiest-to-use radio I have found, and I need it because when it comes to RC electronics I'm a real Gomer. It's a good thing I was blessed with a very healthy head of hair, because I've pulled out quite a bit working on the electronics side of the hobby. But the i10 has a touch screen and a help section that teaches me how to use the radio to accomplish my goals. I still haven't attempted any special channel mixes or anything like that, but for most basic tank stuff, like assigning switches and pots, reversing servos, etc, it's so easy it's ridiculous. I use it to run my 1/6 Hetzer tank with the .50 caliber paintball cannon and if a Gomer like me can get all that done then I really believe anyone can get good results with anything they might want to do with a tank.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
BlueWotsit57 wrote:I have had flysky in the past - but am I correct in thinking that one of the main controls is on a ratchet and not a spring loaded one - I use ratchets on my sail boats, but is spring loaded not better for tanks ?
Most people seems to love spring loaded throttle. Not my case. ;)
But, Rad, we all know you march to a different drum. That's why you're so valuable around here. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Its frustrating that so many of the manufacturers design the transmitters based around r/c aircraft - certainly tests the learning curve on some of the TX's I have had over the years
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Lol, I know I am the exception here and not the rule, that is what makes me special :haha:

Yeah, most of the tankers are happy with the self centering throttle, but why I preffer the non returning spring?

-Because I use the same radio for everything, including warbirds and a "what if 1951" diabolic robotic machine I am building.
-Because sometimes while driving the tank I need to have a free hand (for example, if an egg starts to itch or if a wasp attacks me) The Blitzkrieg cannot be stopped under any circumstance!
-Because I spend the life triying different mixes, trims, curves and so on in the radio, and I want to adjust them on the fly, while the tank is rolling.
-Because I have an attached phone in the radio, and sometimes I need a free hand to click on the screen to take pics or videos. Or maybe becaue I am messing with the Elmod app for configuring the tank.
-Because in some vehicles I have programmed some kind of complex driving, where the lower point is 0 throttle, and full up is 33% throttle. Then I have to change the gears manually for reaching the other 66% and 100% thottle and of course reverse. Yep, a tad complicated to program, but the hell of fun to drive, super realistic and smooth control. Keep in mind most of the tankers have half the movement of the stick up for driving from 0 to full throttle. I have 3 complete stick movements for that, so go and figure how precise it is. (I have videos of that, I can show them if somebody is interested. It can be done with ALL electronics, including 2 euros ESCs)
-And also because the radio came like that from the factory, and even when my radio is 90% scratchbuilt by me, I just did not bother to put the spring on it. Now I guess is too late.

But yeah, I know that is just me, I am the rare guy here, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Late response but I have a Radiomaster TX16x on the way (never thought I would want to replace my QX7) and it comes with the non self centering left stick. They're Hall gimbals and no doubt I can make it self centering but I'll give your method a try first. I didn't think I would like driving with two sticks either but now I prefer it.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

I can change the left stick to be self centering or on a ratchet on my QX7 using a screwdriver. I found a video online which shows how its done. There's one screw which tensions a spring (or not) and a second which controls how much 'ratchet' you want.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yup. I don’t really care much for the ratchet feel. I eliminate that the same day I received my radio. YouTube is invaluable for sure.
One of the main reasons I’m switching over to the Radiomaster is the addition of two sliders and more switches. I want to attempt some animatronic movement for my tank commander and maybe the loader as well. I have several micro servos and tiny motors to play with.
The ability to recharge the tx batteries without taking them out of the radio is also a plus. It comes with a battery tray for two 18650 Li ion batteries which I already have waiting for it.
Curse this slow pandemic shipping!

Return to “Other electronics”