battery rating

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Wattsy
Recruit

battery rating

Post by Wattsy »

Hi I just got a Torro Tiger that came with a 2000maH battery, can i put say a 4000maH battery in it to make it last longer or will that fry the electrics?

cheers
Matt
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: battery rating

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

It will be fine so long as it is the same voltage. The amp hour rating is just how many amps the battery can deliver safely, which translates to how long the battery will last, the bigger the amp hour, the longer between charges.

Edit to add. Voltage is "given" amps are "taken"
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jarlath
Corporal

Re: battery rating

Post by Jarlath »

Just remember that the longer you play with it does generate other issues. Mainly if you run the tank for longer continuous durations.
Aka: If you ran 20 minutes with a 5 min break, vs 40 minutes with a 5 minute break...
  • Motors will generate larger amounts of heat energy to dissipate
  • Controller FET's (Speed control) will do the same (heat energy to dissipate)
  • perceived greater wear on components
I say perceived because the components all wear out, it will just seem that you have not used it as often (despite using it for longer periods). I'll give an example.
All components have a certain life span depending on multitudes of factors. Lets say 100 hours of normal use before failure.
20 minutes per driving session equals 300 "outings with the tank"
40 minutes per driving session equals 150 "outings".

Since time flies when you are having fun, the perceived difference in outings can be significant.

I have a plastic HL Tiger with no turret, no smoker and a Taigen MFU. It has heat sinks on the motors and additional fans to circulate air in the hull and its runs with a 5000mAh battery. It runs for hours! Again usage makes a difference. Not superspinning, not crawling through small rocks and tall grass to kill the drivetrain.

Return to “Other electronics”