JCC's Recoil Units - Questions for consumers...

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Jarlath
Corporal

JCC's Recoil Units - Questions for consumers...

Post by Jarlath »

Hey all!
First off, many thanks to Dave @ Forgebear for selling my recoil kits to the European market. Much appreciated. He is a great guy to deal with (And yes I'm a customer of his as well!).

SO:
I'm looking for some feedback on the recoil kits themselves from those of you who have installed/used them.
Constructive criticism is always a welcome feedback for any designer, and I do want to keep improving the product.

Examples of additions for the next generation of recoil unit currently on the books..
  • Side guide rails for Side elevation units (aka sherman's Stugs, Panthers, etc...)
  • Linkage for direct servo control (w/ or w/o spring)

For true Aftermarket usage on HL & Taigen, I'd love to add a true add on similar to the RCTA Sirvoe, but with a single cycle output (Sirvoe keeps cycling the output).
Aka I want one that gets power from the HL/Taigen MFU via the 2pin JST, and creates the servo's PWM output, fast one way and slower the other, with a reversing switch. Spool up for the BB/Recoil unit is easily 2 seconds long, and likely less than 2A.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: JCC's Recoil Units - Questions for consumers...

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hey, you said you are open to criticism, there goes mine,lol.

Your parts looks great as they are, I might just print them in black, so they are less visible if there are hatches open.

And I just wish you make them for tamiya tanks, because I really do hate the current system in the ww2 tanks. Elevation is the worst part with that super fragile arm, slow and unprecise movement and worst of all, the barrel bouncing up and down. In fact I removed all of those stock parts and I am trying to replace them with my own, but a plug and play set like yours would be very welcome.

If you produce them, let me know.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Rad, thanks for the praise. I use red for one reason and one reason only... I have a lot of it... 10kg or so...
When you change colours, I found that the changes in colour pigments has an effect of your print quality. (Aka settings for red are different than for white, or other colours.).

If anyone wants to send me a Tamiya elevation/recoil system, with mounting pieces, I'll work on designing a replacement that is more robust... Heck send me a turret :)
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I haven't used your kits yet Jarlath so can't give you any feedback there but it would be great to see a kit designed for turretless tank destroyers like stugs and jagdpanthers. A self contained recoil unit that allows for elevation and limited traverse would be very useful.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

B_Man wrote:I haven't used your kits yet Jarlath so can't give you any feedback there but it would be great to see a kit designed for turretless tank destroyers like stugs and jagdpanthers. A self contained recoil unit that allows for elevation and limited traverse would be very useful.
A HL JP (my youngest son's) was the original prototype recoil unit. Finally replaced 2 years later when my Son decided to run off a bridge barrel first...

Next Gen version will be able to use side mounted elevation sets from HL. No traverse unfortunately.

Side to side traverse is a Pita... Especially to make compact and reliable (I want these units to last for 2+ years of usage, hence the metal gear servoes.)
Each Tank would be different and would be much harder to enact... AKA, Mounting for STUG is different from Mounting for JP.
ow to make a unit that would basically encompass 3 servos and a framework...
  • Recoil Servo- Main body
  • Installed into traverse bracket
  • Traverse Servo - separate from main body attached to traverse bracket.
  • Installed into elevation Bracket
  • Elevation Servo controls bracket elevation, via Arm or Linkage
Not saying it is not possible... Just the space constrains are a pita when not using metal for bracketry.
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

How do you do elevation? Servos?

Also, how do servos plug into an MFU?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

PershingLover wrote:How do you do elevation? Servos?

Also, how do servos plug into an MFU?
Servo driven items are currently not usable by most factory MFU's. You need to utilize an aftermarket MFU to control them (Clark, IBU, etc...)
The JCC Compact recoil unit currently has two options.
  • Servo Tail, which allows for usage with the rotating cam style of elevation unit common in larger turret HL/Taigen tanks.
  • A multiple point hook up for a direct linkage connection.

I know that the switch on the HL airsoft tanks controls the "track recoil & cannon sound effect". Does it also stop the BB motor spooling? Or is that a timed power output to the BB motor?
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Thanks, that clears it up.
I'm not sure about the airsoft.
Do you have your own shop?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

For the most part airsoft and IR versions of the Heng Long tanks use similar barrels (just length changes internally) and can be used by the JCC compact recoil unit. As I have no idea on Tamiya vs a HL barrel, I cannot comment on what you would need to DIY to fit up with my recoil unit.

My shop is my basement work area. I do mechanical engineering by trade, so I love technical/mechanisms.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Jarlath wrote: Not saying it is not possible... Just the space constrains are a pita when not using metal for bracketry.
I totally agree. Its an engineering challenge and that's why I am hoping someone much smarter than me will come up with a clever solution and release it commercially to save me some hassle. There have been some good custom built units on the forum over the years but as you point out each model has size differences so it may not be viable to design one for the already limited RC tank market.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Return to “Other electronics”