Brushless on a HL Challenger/DKLM PDSG?

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Brushless on a HL Challenger/DKLM PDSG?

Post by Black Knight »

Has anyone modified a DKLM PDSG to run a brushless motor? Is it possible to do it through a Clark TK60 board and is it likely to be worth the effort/expense?

I am not too interested in the historical accuracy of my finished tank - I intend to play with it not display it!! My current mods include a DKLM full metal chassis fitted with a PDSG (still in customs so I'm climbing the walls waiting for my toys !!! ). I also have a 3s (11.1v) 5000mAh lipo ready to go in.

Why? Because it will end up being either an epic fun build or self-destruct itself as soon as I turn up the gas :haha: :haha:
Always on the search for Bootneck-proof kit
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Brushless on a HL Challenger/DKLM PDSG?

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If your system supports a pair of brushed ESCs then it will also support a pair if brushless ESCs, sensored or not. Brushless cans come in all the usual sizes but if you want sensored then can sizes are more limited. Generally you'll pay more but not too much if you shop around.

My only question would be....why? And why the high voltage Lipo? Our model tanks are delivered to us with already unrealistic high top speeds. I know you said you are doing this for fun but maybe a racing buggy would be a more suitable vehicle to blitz the local fields? :wtf:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

General Jumbo01 wrote:If your system supports a pair of brushed ESCs then it will also support a pair if brushless ESCs, sensored or not. Brushless cans come in all the usual sizes but if you want sensored then can sizes are more limited. Generally you'll pay more but not too much if you shop around.

My only question would be....why? And why the high voltage Lipo? Our model tanks are delivered to us with already unrealistic high top speeds. I know you said you are doing this for fun but maybe a racing buggy would be a more suitable vehicle to blitz the local fields? :wtf:
What do you mean by system?
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

General Jumbo01 wrote:My only question would be....why? And why the high voltage Lipo? Our model tanks are delivered to us with already unrealistic high top speeds. I know you said you are doing this for fun but maybe a racing buggy would be a more suitable vehicle to blitz the local fields? :wtf:
Why? I have never been one to wonder about more speed/power. I generally find that more of either/both = more fun! I would say that you have answered your own question :D I don't really care about "realistic speeds" - fast is fun. A racing buggy does not usually come with guns, tracks, armour etc!
Last edited by Black Knight on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

General Jumbo01 wrote:If your system supports a pair of brushed ESCs then it will also support a pair if brushless ESCs, sensored or not. Brushless cans come in all the usual sizes but if you want sensored then can sizes are more limited. Generally you'll pay more but not too much if you shop around.
So, does a Clark TK60 control board support ESCs? And what "sensors" are on the cans?
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Ther CLARK TK-60 do not support external ESC.
The Board support only brushed Motors.
ELMOD or IBU support external ESC
General Jumbo01

A sensored etc/motor combo notes the position of the rotor in the motor and powers the eletromagnets at the correct time for the position and revs of the rotor, controlling timing/advance etc which is an important variable. Most sensored combos are also programmable too. Sensorless combos do not monitor the rotor but just estimate the typical motor characteristics and work almost as well. For the serious racer you would have to use sensored and know how to best use the tuning software. As I'm sure you know, brushed cans use fixed timing. Some better brushed cans allow you to adjust the timing to suit a track but they are not dynamic when in use.

This is all expensive and unnecessary for use in tanks, which is why we only find cheap/small/unadjustable brushed cans fitted - not even sure if the armatures are ball raced, probably not!

However..... if you took a tank drag racing ;)

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01

tomhugill wrote:

Original MFU replacement components, what even they may be.

Black Knight
Lance Corporal

Post by Black Knight »

jhamm wrote:Ther CLARK TK-60 do not support external ESC.
The Board support only brushed Motors.
ELMOD or IBU support external ESC

Cheers 8)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

General Jumbo01 wrote:
tomhugill wrote:

Original MFU replacement components, what even they may be.

Ok cool, no 3rd party electrics are plug and play for brushless. Open panzer tcb is closest but you'll still need the brushless ESC, which seems a waste.

There's nothing our the ordinary using 3s lipos on a tank, I run them with low ratio gearboxes to give great slow speed and power with decent top end .

@ the OP I have a suspicion that the PDSGB with high ratio and 3s will give you the performance you seek

Return to “Other electronics”