LED instalation

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: LED instalation

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Thanks for the link Roy :thumbup: I will have a read through and see if I can educate myself :D

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Model Builder 4 wrote:If resistors are still needed to be used what are suitable one's for the job

Cheers, Lee.
Here you go Lee, resistors for LED's made simple.

Basics: Picking Resistors for LEDs | Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories
https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2012/r ... -for-leds/
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you Mick :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Ok, I did a quick video that will be deleted in the next 5 minutes or so, lol. This is the fist time I talk in a video, and I did it in a rush because is quite late here. Hope you can understand it, even with my strong spanish accent.

phpBB [video]

Basically I am using that step down voltage regulator as a manual ESC.
But resuming, definitelly you need to know the voltage output of that ESC when maximum on, the voltage drop of the led (varies a lot depending of the color and size) and to add a resistor in consonance.
As I said, you could still use that ESC with no resistors if you dont pull more volts than what the led needs... A bit of trial and error until you find the exact point in your radio, that of course you will forget 5 minutes later after finding it. (Yeah, been there, done that...)

But what I would do is to grab a cheap electronic switch (about 2 euros) place a resistor and then you are good to go with no worries at all.

And yeah, the LIPO in my video is puffed and I have to throw it away... I will, as soon as I discharge the electricity it has inside. I paid for charging it, so I am not just going to throw away that electricity, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:And yeah, the LIPO in my video is puffed and I have to throw it away... I will, as soon as I discharge the electricity it has inside. I paid for charging it, so I am not just going to throw away that electricity, lol.
Spoken like a true Spaniard ;) :haha:

Rad, with that accent, I now have a desire to hear you speaking Austrian :D

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this Raul, it is very much appreciated :thumbup: I am learning all the time as electronics aren't my strong point, I hope to come up with a solution to my led problems now :D

Cheers, Lee.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Sorry lads, l went to bed and missed all that! Very helpful info there. If you take your power from your receiver then you should be assured of a regulated 5 to 6v output - they vary model to model but always state what their output is.

If you use 6v LEDs you know the voltage will match. You can fit a suitable resistor and then see if it needs to be there or be adjusted to suit your needs.

The good news is that LEDs are cheap. The bad news is that you have to pull everything apart to replace them! Like most people, you usually learn the hard way. In the early eighties it taught me how to strip down a complex OO scale loco in minutes! ;(

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the info GJ :thumbup: I've set it up off the receiver as you've said but that's why it's confused me as 2 of the esc's didn't work properly after and now the led burnt out :'( I can only assume that the Led's I used were less than 6v's then and that must be the reason, they were spare one's I used so not sure what they were,

Cheers, Lee.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I buy these cheap LEDs by the dozens for less than $2 with free shipping, has 2 white 5mm headlights and 2 red 3mm taillights. Pre-wired with resistor and connector to fit the receiver, or I simply cut the connector to adapt to board headlight wiring and control. I never had one of these burn no matter what I did to them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-LED-Night- ... ctupt=true
LED set
LED set
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the link Louis :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.

Return to “Other electronics”