FPV and OnScreenData.

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Vertigo
Private

FPV and OnScreenData.

Post by Vertigo »

My FPV camera just arrived. Made a simple holder to go in the commanders position while i sort out the final location. Connected abatery and the lights came on.
The receiver isn't due for a week yet.

Its got a video in wire so i wondered if anyone knows of or has made something to provide OSD.
Would be cool to put a gun sight on it.
Using whats on a standard tank you could count the number of times you have fired (ammo used) if turret is left/right of hull.
Not sure what it would take to put a compass on the screen.
Fully instumented you can have the full turret angle, Gun angle, direction to starting point etc.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: FPV and OnScreenData.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Gary (Max-U52) has had a fair bit to say in the past on PFV (and illustrated with useful vids). :thumbup: Check his threads out (no, not his attire.. :D ) and that charming drawl.
There are other FPV topics in the archives too.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Vertigo
Private

Re: FPV and OnScreenData.

Post by Vertigo »

Thanks for the heads up 43rd.
This is fun. :D
Done some crude wiring to connect up 3 x AAA batteries for power. Found a 3 way pin and ring connector and wired the camera output so i can use it as AV input to a mini TV. :wave:
To be honest the small 2" screen is to small. The camera has a 170 degree wide field of view so there is not enough screen to get enough resolution. :thumbdown:
The original idea was to use this TV attached to the controller. I have a 5" screen i could use but that wants 12v so that makes the power supply an issue. The receiver was going to be put inside the controller. Theres loads of room inside the HL controller.
However a slightly different scenario presented itself. o-
I plugged the camera output into the 55" TV. This is fun. The picture is slightly pix-elated but its much more realistic. As in full size tank realistic. Its also a realistic view from the commanders perspective. The 170degree field of view is probably a bit to wide. And there is a sort bottom of a bottle distortion around the middle of the view.
I think i will drop the idea of the mantle mounted camera aligned to the gun. Not only is that hard to fit in the space its also hard to hide. And i would probably loose some field of view and forward visibility. The higher vantage point definitely helps.
So im now going to make the receiver and its power supply a separate unit. Then i can take it with me or leave it attached to the TV. Then i can drive the tank on patrol around the garden from inside with the full size view.
Better work out how to get a video now. ???

Return to “Other electronics”