How to slow a toy grade tank?

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

How to slow a toy grade tank?

Post by lifeofbrian »

I have a toy grade tank (4.8v) that is way too fast, I was thinking to slow it down with variable resistor or potentiometer on the motor wires, my question is, how? The tank has forward and reverse so would I need a pot on both - and + or just one of them, or another way?
20190220_233056.jpg
Taigen Panver IV F2 // Taigen Pantiger
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: How to slow a toy grade tank?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

You would need a variable resistor for each motor. And you would have to balance them so you went straight.
You'd probably only need pots that are 0 to 10 or 0 to 20 ohms.

Just one pot per motor on either black or red wires (+ or -).

As this will restrict the current to the motors, you will lose some motor torque, but not drastically.

There are other ways to do it, but I think they aren't so simple as the motors are bi-directional.

I'm not sure if you can get small enough pots at a high enough wattage, otherwise the pots could get quite hot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if wire wound ones are that small.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

As it's only 4.8 volts, wire wound may be overkill, but it wouldn't hurt to get as high a wattage as you can for small pots.

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Post by lifeofbrian »

Never thought of those things, thanks.
Son of a gun-ner wrote:You would need a variable resistor for each motor. And you would have to balance them so you went straight.

As this will restrict the current to the motors, you will lose some motor torque, but not drastically.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

If you buy the two pots at the same time from the same manufacturer, and set them at the same amount of turn, it shouldn't take that much to balance them.

It could be done with a pair of normal resistors (non variable) and a single high ohmage pot between the two as a trim for balancing any manufacturing difference etc in the resistors. Only problem with that would be needing to know the current draw of the motors and how much the motors would need restricting for a desired speed to work out their value.

And, like I said, you shouldn't lose much torque.

Have fun tinkering.

lifeofbrian
Lance Corporal

Post by lifeofbrian »

I've decided to try a PWM Speed Controller, I'm hoping that this will do the same but without losing torque.

Son of a gun-ner wrote:If you buy the two pots at the same time from the same manufacturer, and set them at the same amount of turn, it shouldn't take that much to balance them.

It could be done with a pair of normal resistors (non variable) and a single high ohmage pot between the two as a trim for balancing any manufacturing difference etc in the resistors. Only problem with that would be needing to know the current draw of the motors and how much the motors would need restricting for a desired speed to work out their value.

And, like I said, you shouldn't lose much torque.

Have fun tinkering.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Good idea, I hope it fits in ok :thumbup:

Probably cheaper than getting the individual components too :thumbup:

Return to “Other electronics”