Looking for something better - tank MFU

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Looking for something better - tank MFU

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Hi 'all ;)

After spending many years playing with RC, having moved to tanks, l have to say I'm very disappointed with the basic electronics supplied in my HengLong, Taigen and Torro examples, regardless of versions. Now l appreciate that if l read every thread on the forum l might find the answer(s) I'm looking for but being a lazy bugger I'm sure there is knowledge already out there just bursting to help and advise?

I find the use of proprietary radio/receiver/MFU units frustrating but, beyond that, why is 'proportional' never actually proportional?

Slow, smooth starts and running are generally a myth and accelerating in large steps only happened, l thought, on old electric locomotives! Likewise, turning. Its all or nothing and if you increase the turn angle ever so slightly you suddenly find yourself spinning - in the complete opposite direction. Similar probs exist for all other functions. Who designed this??

I could build a far better driving system using standard RC components myself but not the syncronised sound elements but, if l can do this, surely somewhere out there already has with all the bells and whistles working on a multi channel standard system. Please tell me I'm right?

So, there's my cry for help. Show me the light, please!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Looking for something better - tank MFU

Post by Max-U52 »

You should look into the TCB (tank control board) and the Open Panzer project. With your RC experience it might be just what you're looking for.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

Or...

http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx10/index.html

If your on a budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Elmod if your not on a budget.

Ibu 3 with elmod eco?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Hi 'all ;)

After spending many years playing with RC, having moved to tanks, l have to say I'm very disappointed with the basic electronics supplied in my HengLong, Taigen and Torro examples, regardless of versions. Now l appreciate that if l read every thread on the forum l might find the answer(s) I'm looking for but being a lazy bugger I'm sure there is knowledge already out there just bursting to help and advise?

I find the use of proprietary radio/receiver/MFU units frustrating but, beyond that, why is 'proportional' never actually proportional?

Slow, smooth starts and running are generally a myth and accelerating in large steps only happened, l thought, on old electric locomotives! Likewise, turning. Its all or nothing and if you increase the turn angle ever so slightly you suddenly find yourself spinning - in the complete opposite direction. Similar probs exist for all other functions. Who designed this??

I could build a far better driving system using standard RC components myself but not the syncronised sound elements but, if l can do this, surely somewhere out there already has with all the bells and whistles working on a multi channel standard system. Please tell me I'm right?

You've found the electronics section, why not go a little further and read some of the threads, look at manufacturers pages, watch some YouTube videos! You're experienced in the other sectors of
The hobby and seem to have already formed opinions so I'd suggest your best bet is to do some reasearch of your own and decide what's best for you. Between the forum members we've pretty much tried everything and can offer insight to what leanings you might be having but there's nothing to beat a good old fashions look see of your own first.
General Jumbo01

tomhugill wrote:
General Jumbo01 wrote:Hi 'all ;)

You've found the electronics section, why not go a little further and read some of the threads, look at manufacturers pages, watch some YouTube videos! You're experienced in the other sectors of
The hobby and seem to have already formed opinions so I'd suggest your best bet is to do some reasearch of your own and decide what's best for you. Between the forum members we've pretty much tried everything and can offer insight to what leanings you might be having but there's nothing to beat a good old fashions look see of your own first.
Yes l will, but a friendly nudge in the right direction can only help, even if l disagree with some suggestions. Its what forums are about, right? At least l now know what to read first - thanks guys, and keep it coming.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Boards to look at,

Top tier £150+

El mod fusion pro:
Full physics simulation
Excellent sound
Blue tooth config possible
Most expensive
3s support

Ibu3:
Excellent drive
Sound tweaking is great
Great sounds (sometimes need to lower gain on cannon sound)
Plenty of configuration options without being too labyrinthine
Cheaper than el mod, more
Expensive than tk60.
3s support

Clark tk60:
Least configurable (but does almost everything you could need)
Slow speed drive is weakest of the top tier
Sounds arguably the best
Requires special hardware to program sounds
Programming sound isn't straight forward as the others
Best recoil
Cheapest in top tier
Highest current esc on paper.
Several versions of the board (programmable, sbus, not programmable etc, need to make sure you're getting the right one).
3s support
IR range not as good as competitors

Mid tier: £130 - 150
Ibu2ufo (full option):
Drive is nice feeling at low speed
But annoying delay to start makes crawl harder (can't be switched out)
Sounds superior to ibu2 original but probably weakest in mod tier
Fantastic voice guided setup
Close to plug and play as it gets
Most expensive mid tier
3s support

Clark tk24

Sbus and programmeable boards in mid tier, basic not programmable is in the budget tier
Fantastic sounds
Amazing recoil
Only able to run on 2s
Drive not as smooth as competitors at low speed
Same programming options as tk60
IMO on of the best value boards esp in basic form

Open panzer tcb

Interesting one, tcb it's self is a brain to control esc, sound card and does the servo recoil has a couple low current outputs for elevation.

My setup uses two hobbyking xcar 40a esc and a benedini. Price can be more or less depending on hobby king sales but my full setup was £135 with tcb, benedini Tbs mini sound card and two xcar esc.

Many programming options
Softwares very intuitive and flexible
Nice recoil (second to Clark)
With cheap car esc drive is superior to all the above (although doesn't have full simulation elmod has)
Sounds with benedini are stellar
Supports 3s lipo (depending on what esc are used)
Requires tcb, sound card and 1 or two esc so not suitable for space limited tanks
Top tier board at mid tier price.

Budget tier £120 and below.

Ibu2 pro/base
Hard to get hold of
Sounds aren't up there with latest boards
Recoils weakest but still pretty good
Good range of config options
Fantastic price if you can find new stock
3s support
Base model only has recoil servo support
Reliable and excellent support from ian.

Tk24
As above but can't be programmed
At price point best value imo

Tk22
As tk24 but weakest sounds
Lowest price
General Jumbo01

Tried to send this as a forum pm but l don't think it was sent, so here it is again....

Hi Tom. I won't bore you with my background in RC but its always been in World level car competition as a team driver. I've admired tanks for years but having now retired from the car scene and all its related trappings, l come into tanks completely fresh.

Since there does not appear to be any physical clubs in my area of the UK l.can only mix with tank minded hobbyists on forums and, given this seems to be one of the best I've found, here seems to be the best place to learn. However, you need to learn from the best so l asked for help - your response l trust was well meaning but it didn't really help.

You can read a lot of rot on forums since the majority of member's experience will be limited but a few will really know their onions, like yourself perhaps. So any guidance as to what products are worth exploring would be very helpful, then l can Google/u-tube search constructively rather that search for 'what's the best RC tank system out there' and get invites to try an available sexy Russian lady - which doesn't help at all!

I'll take up the advice from others in the thread but feel free to offer your helpful advice too - I'm sure it would be of value.

Cheers,
Jumbo

General Jumbo01

And while l was struggling to message you l get an excellent response - many thanks for your guidance which l will explore with relish - Christmas is not too far away! I'll doubtless need more help as l go but I'll start with what you (all) suggested - thanks guys

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Tried to send this as a forum pm but l don't think it was sent, so here it is again....

Hi Tom. I won't bore you with my background in RC but its always been in World level car competition as a team driver. I've admired tanks for years but having now retired from the car scene and all its related trappings, l come into tanks completely fresh.

Since there does not appear to be any physical clubs in my area of the UK l.can only mix with tank minded hobbyists on forums and, given this seems to be one of the best I've found, here seems to be the best place to learn. However, you need to learn from the best so l asked for help - your response l trust was well meaning but it didn't really help.

You can read a lot of rot on forums since the majority of member's experience will be limited but a few will really know their onions, like yourself perhaps. So any guidance as to what products are worth exploring would be very helpful, then l can Google/u-tube search constructively rather that search for 'what's the best RC tank system out there' and get invites to try an available sexy Russian lady - which doesn't help at all!

I'll take up the advice from others in the thread but feel free to offer your helpful advice too - I'm sure it would be of value.

Cheers,
Jumbo

Hopefully some of the above will be helpful as a start point! I've still not tried the sbus clarks but he says they're smoother.

One thing I forgot is the controls on all the none sbus clarks can take getting used to but with a decent tx and some mixing you can simplify the situation.

Return to “Other electronics”