Mystery shutdown on drive

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
tracersmart
Recruit

Mystery shutdown on drive

Post by tracersmart »

Hi all,

I have a custom built Stug based on Heng Long and Taigen parts, with a Taigen 2.4 MFU. It’s my second build where I have just bought the components individually.

It was driving fine but the heng long recoil unit wasn’t working due to internal gear misalignment, and as a result the Taigen high intensity LED flash didn’t trigger.

I fixed the recoil, and tested it fine and the flash worked, but not on every recoil.

Now however when I start up, the recoil works, the flash doesn’t and as soon as I drive the system shuts down and goes into standby.

The battery has a 7.5A inline fuse.

I have tried a new battery and results are the same.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
gp100
Private

Re: Mystery shutdown on drive

Post by gp100 »

Yeah..

Get rid of the Taigen MFU and get a different board.. That will do wonders right there.. Get a TK22 or 24, or get an IBU2-Pro or Ultimate.. Any of them will work..

Sorry.. But I'm kind of soured on the Taigen electronics.. I actually took a look at mine after it blew out and stopped working on some features, and found really bad designs and second rate parts in the MFU V2 board.. Lousy cheap capacitors and other issues.. For the money, they should be higher quality..

I gutted my tank of all the factory parts, went aftermarket with IBU2-Pro and several other aftermarket parts including motors, and have never had any issue since.. The tank is bullet proof.. But with the Taigen electronics, I was constantly pulling my hair out over it.. It just wasn't worth it to me.. Taigen would be great, if they used better quality components on the board.. But they don't.. And that is the issue with them..
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: Mystery shutdown on drive

Post by Jay-Em »

Taigen controllers are..ehh.. well.. ‘not from this age’ They won’t respond well to using LiPo f.i. Some sellers even warn specifically against using LiPo.

I wish I knew that before I blew the bloody thing. The separate soundcard sounded nice... for a moment. When coupled with some motors in a transmission, first the sound quit, and after that the turret and gun. After the test I never got it to run again.

So, yeah. Invest in a Clark or an IBU2/IBU2U (The IBU3 still has some kinks to work out, me thinks. The things I read about the IBU3 aren’t hopegiving for what it costs)

If an IBU and separate transmitter are a bit too steep for You, the last gen Heng Long 2.4ghz with dual sounds has proven to be quite robust for me. Only thing is the peculiar wiring of the turret. Converting a Taigen, older gen Heng Long to use a HengLong 4th gen controller takes quite some experimenting and headscratching.

Return to “Other electronics”