My radio mods / Programming tips and ideas.

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

My radio mods / Programming tips and ideas.

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

EDIT: Everything has been showed and explained with more pictures and detail on my website, here: https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... /my-radio/

Hi. Quite often I talk about my wonderfull radio, how proud I am of it and how usefull is for our hobby, but now I wanted to begin to show you what is it all about, and also to answer the possible questions Mr wibblywobbly and others may have.

First of all, I bought this radio:
https://www.banggood.com/es/Wholesale-F ... rehouse=CN Which is the original version of the turnigy 9x that can be found at hobbyking: https://hobbyking.com/es_es/turnigy-9x- ... tore=es_es
EDIT 3: Now hobbyking is producing this radio with a newer module, it can only bind to one receiver at a time, and also comes with a weaker processor. I dont recommend it!

The differences among them, is the Flysky looks cooler (I preffer the black over the grey) and the module at the back is removable, which is very important.

Both radios as stock, have a very primitive and almost unusable software, and a screen where you can not see anything with or without light, lol. But for about 3 euros you can install a backlight inside.

In my radio I installed a 9xtreme board, which I am afraid is no longer produced http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php? ... cts_id=378 it lets me modify the radio to a extreme you cant imagine, being the most important flashing new software. Nowadays, you can buy this small board instead http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php? ... cts_id=383, which will let you change the sofware (which in my opinion is still a must)

So, what else did I do in my radio?
The most important, I flashed the er9xsky software.
I installed that 9xtreme board.
I plugged a SD card and a small battery for the internal clock.
A speaker (so the radio plays music, play voices and all kind of custom sounds)
I am using a 3S lipo battery https://hobbyking.com/es_es/turnigy-265 ... ba-jr.html that lets me drive my tanks for I think something about 30 hours or so.
I installed a reverse polarity diode. In case I plug a battery the wrong way, the radio wont suffer.
I installed an USB port for connecting it to the computer for updating firmware (that updates every 3-4 days or to play with simulators on the computer)
I installed a PPM resistor, that protects the radio and the 9xtreme board in case the module is unplugged when the radio is on.
My backlight is RGB, which means that I can change the color of the screen with the software... Red, blue, pink... Whatever me or my children want.

And the coolest part, I replaced four 2-position switches with 3 position ones.
I replaced one potentiometer with a 6 position switch.
I installed 2 extra pots/side sliders.
I installed 4 buttons (momentary switches) at the back of the radio.
So it lets me trigger not less than 45 positions in my switches... And those let me trigger any function I want in my tank. Even when it sounds an overkill, sometimes I even need more, no kidding.
And lastly I installed an internal multiprotocol module with telemetry inside the tank. This module makes my radio compatible with all the brands... Spektrum, frsky, turnigy, flysky, futaba and about 150 more, with telemetry capability (So I see how much battery is left in the tank, the speed, the temperature, or even the GPS coordinates) So my radio has two modules at the same time, the internal and the external, giving me 24 channels, and I could upgrade to 32 if needed. Also it lets me drive two tanks at the same time.
I replaced the gimbals with the taranis ones. (Just because I wanted to experiment something new) and the sticks with something more comfortable for me. I am a thumber, not a pitcher, so I needed another kind of sticks.
Bluetooth connection, so I can connect the radio to my computer, mobile phone or other radio.
Haptic. My radio vibrates when shooting the cannon, machine gun, starting the motors, running out of battery....

Some people will say "Yeah, you are talking about something we cannot buy (9xtreme), like you do with your damn ASP 2" well, there are more options like the AR9x board (I have not tested it) or you have the posibility of taking the easy and cheap route... BUY A TURNIGY 9XR PRO wich already comes with sounds, speaker, sd card, USB port, already flashed with ersky 9x and some more functions.
EDIT: The 9XR Pro has been discontinnued. Grab one ASAP if you can!
It comes basically most of the mods you want to install, unless you are a very advanced user. And also lets you, at least, install 4 position switches and the 6 position switch too. (Already done by me, so I tan testify it works) But I think I can install many things more.

EDIT 2: Now the 9XR PRO is discontinnued, I recommend you getting a Taranis 9XD

So, here the photos begin:
Four momentary switches:
1.jpg
Taranis side sliders: (Showing one)
Slider.jpg

The switches from inside. Also the blob of hot glue in the PCB is securing the PPM resistor I installed
2.jpg
Reverse polarity protection diode, with more hot glue.
3.jpg
Multiprotocol internal module. The speaker is behind the sponge, and also that potentiometer is the 6 position switch.
4.jpg
Radio overview showing the 9xtreme, the taranis gimballs and so on.
5.jpg

But most important than all of this: I learnt everything from Charly, from lacadenaherrumbrosa, Kevin, from rc tanks Australia, and all the crazy guys at openrcforums. I cant thank you enough.
Last edited by Rad_Schuhart on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
mcovalsk
Recruit

Re: My radio mods.

Post by mcovalsk »

Hi Rad it's me Mario
Fantastic what you did with the radio, I will take some ideas like the several point switch replacing some pot.
All the best!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Today I added something else to my radio!

First of all, metal standoffs, so I can open and close the radio infinite times without any damage. I installed 6,
52071521_328195974467747_6455366821192138752_n.jpg
Second a bluetooth module:
I can connect the radio to the computer with it, so I can programm the radio from the computer without wires, or to connect to other radios. It is very usefull.
52097255_260731741489940_4364137185956331520_n.jpg
And lastly, another multiprotocol module, so now I have 32channels, with SBUS and telemetry. Now I can control all the things I need.
https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX4-2 ... mds=search

I LOVE my radio, guys.

I am very close to install all the possible mods, the next will be a FPV mount, and haptic (vibration) so for example, when I shoot the cannon or machine gun, the radio vibrates in my hands. Cool, isnt it?

The last mod will be to install a 7 position encoder where the front buttons are, but that will be more in the future... The part needed seems to be impossible to find in Europe.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, meanwhile all the parts needed for installing double Haptic (Vibration, one motor on each side of the radio, interrally) arrive from china, I realized my Turnigy 9xr Pro has already it! And due to my beloved radio and the 9XR Pro share the same software, I started to thinker about it. One quick question to our friends in the open rc forum, and voilá!

Now as you will see in the forum, when I press the trigger that shoots the main cannon, the radio vibrates for a second. I think this is something pretty cool, makes tanking more inmersive.
For those who IR battle, you can put a timer so the radio will tell you when your cannon has been reloaded after shooting.

Also due to the radios have a speaker, I thought I could tie some sounds with the tank functions, so I did it too, also showed in the video.

Of course I can change the sounds to whatever I want, is just a matter of conecting the radio to the computer and to swap the sounds with my own voice or so. Limit is your imagination.

I hope somebody will find it interesting.

phpBB [video]

Hopefully you can heard the vibration sound (similar to a mobile phone) when I press the trigger.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I will continue my monologue here, lol.

Meanwhile I receive the parts I am waiting for, I thought this video tutorial from Kevin, the Rc tanks Australia guy, might be interesting for some of you.

It explains how to set up a realistic recoil just with your radio. I think it is very interesting:

phpBB [video]

You can do it with any 9x radio with er9x software.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Great idea on the Tx setup, there’s always more than one way to skin a cat!

I’m using a FrSky X-Lite, so am slightly limited on the switches compared to yours - need to look out the specs as I cannot recall it having haptic feedback...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jimbo_wa wrote:Great idea on the Tx setup, there’s always more than one way to skin a cat!

I’m using a FrSky X-Lite, so am slightly limited on the switches compared to yours - need to look out the specs as I cannot recall it having haptic feedback...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi, the X-Lite is indeed more limited by the lack of switches and the mods that can be done, but it does have Haptic.
Also uses OpenTX software, which is a very good software too, so you will be able to have tons of programming capabilities.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Do continue, Rad! :thumbup: Your stream-of-consciousness threads, always produce stuff worth knowing :thumbup: :clap:
But, if you keep adding buttons and gizmos to your beloved TX, won't you need to grow an extra pair of arms? :D
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Do continue, Rad! :thumbup: Your stream-of-consciousness threads, always produce stuff worth knowing :thumbup: :clap:
But, if you keep adding buttons and gizmos to your beloved TX, won't you need to grow an extra pair of arms? :D
Roy.
Lol, thanks. One of the best things of the 9x transmitters, is that are very ergonomic, so all the switches and triggers are in a very logical and reachable position. I really love the extra push buttons added in the back of the radio, and they are very practical too. (I use them for changing the gears/speeds of the tank) Anyway I think I have reached the point that no more switches/pots are phisically possible to add (except the control encoder that will be added later on) But after about 42 positions in the switches I am sure I dont need to add anything else.

But yeah, I will keep updating the thread with more gadjets and programming ideas to make the tank feel like a tank.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Do continue, Rad! :thumbup: Your stream-of-consciousness threads, always produce stuff worth knowing :thumbup: :clap:
Roy.
Lol, thanks. One of the best things of the 9x transmitters, is that are very ergonomic, so all the switches and triggers are in a very logical and reachable position. I really love the extra push buttons added in the back of the radio, and they are very practical too. (I use them for changing the gears/speeds of the tank) Anyway I think I have reached the point that no more switches/pots are phisically possible to add (except the control encoder that will be added later on) But after about 42 positions in the switches I am sure I dont need to add anything else.

But yeah, I will keep updating the thread with more gadjets and programming ideas to make the tank feel like a tank.
You are very welcome, Rad. I always appreciate your input and drive. :thumbup:
It just occurred to me that with buttons on the back and front, along with toggles, an experienced squeezebox player, or pianist would have an advantage in terms of co-ordination. :D :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Other electronics”