My radio mods / Programming tips and ideas.

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My radio mods / Programming tips and ideas.

Post by Jimster »

Since you have programming tips and ideas in this thread title I will post this here. I want to be able to turn my tank commander’s head by using my left slider and a servo connected to the third servo port on my ElMod Pro. Shouldn’t I be able to set that servo’s parameters in the ElMod app? I want to be able to limit how far the head rotates left and right and to make the movement fairly slow/realistic. Here’s a photo showing how I modified the figure to use a wire running down from the head through the body and eventually down into a turret mounted servo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

There are multiple ways for controlling the head.

One would be with the Elmod, but I have never not even tested it for a reason. As you know I never use the sticks for controlling anything but moving the turret and elevating the barrel. All the functions are controlled with the switches and push buttons... That means even if I wanted to control a servo with the Elmod, I can not, because the board does not let me do it. Controls are already cramped. With the Elmod can be done, but definitelly is not what I would do.

What I would do is to fit a 10ch receiver in the tank. Considering you have the radiomaster with multiprotocol module, you can use almost everything, so you could get one of those 10ish eur 10ch flysky receivers.
Then, you plug the servo into channel 9, and in the menu you can limit the throw of the servo to each side, individually. So if the slider is centered, the head is centered too, and if you move the slider, the head will move to that side. Of course just with the radio you can set also the servo speed, so the head can turn at a natural speed and not like it was a bird of prey.

Another option, still using the 10 ch receiver would be to program your radio, so if you drive the tank to the right, the head goes to left (or to the right, whatever you want) or maybe you can program it to turn the head when the turret rotates... That way you can still controll the head with the slider, replacing the signal in the mixer, so you will have a very active tank commander, lol.

Third option: I am not familiar with the software the jumper is using from factory, but it might have some "servo tester" template. If not, you can program that too. That means, you flick an switch and the head starts moving to both sides at the preprogrammed speed and pre programmed throw. I use that on my watchtower now, so the spotlight does pan at tilt itself, and it really feels like they are looking for the enemy. I leave it moving itself, but if I want to control it with the sliders I can, also replacing the signal. very intuitive.

Fourth option: Program an arduino board that will keep moving the figure in your pre programmed pattern, but you cannot control it with the radio, and also I dont know how to do it yet, lol.

But id definitelly stick with the 10ch receiver. You use it for the head and you still have another spare channel for adding mode gadgets to the tank, like the other figure moving or God knows what. Still want more functions? Get a 12ch receiver. Getting sick like me? Jumt to 32! lol The party has just started!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I wish I could speak and translate Rad-ish :haha: you have an amazing knowledge of Radios Raul :D your tips and ideas are of great help to a lot of members I'm sure :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Model Builder 4 wrote:I wish I could speak and translate Rad-ish :haha: you have an amazing knowledge of Radios Raul :D your tips and ideas are of great help to a lot of members I'm sure :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Lol, thank you! :{ Hope this is usefull for somebody.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That’s an excellent idea to use a separate 10 channel receiver! I already have an idea for using channel 10 :D
So how would you power this additional receiver?
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jimster wrote:That’s an excellent idea to use a separate 10 channel receiver! I already have an idea for using channel 10 :D
So how would you power this additional receiver?
No, no need to use a separate receiver. Remove the 8ch receiver you are already using and connect the 10ch one. Done!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Aha! Now it makes sense. Maybe I’ll just pull the 10 channel Flysky receiver out of my static Leopard 2 and use it. I was using channels 9 and 10 to rotate and elevate the FLW-200 remote weapon system so this should be a simple set up.
Multi protocol radios are the way to go! Thanks :thumbup:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jimster wrote: Multi protocol radios are the way to go! Thanks :thumbup:
Yes, they are. Check the back of the radio, it has a lid, you can remove it and plug another multiprotocol module and have 16 channels more ready to use.

I hardly ever have the need of using two modules at the same time, but the possibility is there.

Every time I see people paying more money for 4 ch craptaba or crapson radios than what your radiomaster costs, makes me want to die, lol.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi Jimster, I looked for the turret speed thread I mentioned in your tiger thread. This is obviously way more complicated than asigning switches to functions, but it is still doable.

http://rctanksaustralia.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=59
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks, Rad! Now I have a radio project to help me lose some sleep each night until I get it programmed correctly! I love a challenge. :crazy:
Actually I appreciate you posting this info for me, and I’m sure others will hopefully be encouraged to try it out as well.
I will post progress when get it programmed.

Return to “Other electronics”