What firware should I use for my Turnigy 9x?

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
SovereignZuul
Corporal

What firware should I use for my Turnigy 9x?

Post by SovereignZuul »

I've got my new Turnigy 9x back in 2015 if I recall, never used it.

I'll be modding it in the near future, backlight + SP Basic smartie board.

What firmware do tankers use? Anyone else modded theirs? Seems like ER9x is popular, but there are plenty of choices and wasn't sure if anyone had one specialized for tankers.

B|
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: What firware should I use for my Turnigy 9x?

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

SovereignZuul wrote:I've got my new Turnigy 9x back in 2015 if I recall, never used it.

I'll be modding it in the near future, backlight + SP Basic smartie board.

What firmware do tankers use? Anyone else modded theirs? Seems like ER9x is popular, but there are plenty of choices and wasn't sure if anyone had one specialized for tankers.

B|
Er9x standard from www.er9x.com

Forget about the specialized tanker software. Is a obsolete and abandoned version of er9x. Im sure some people will recommend you it, but trust me,I know what I am talking about.

I did plenty of mods in my 9x...

Replaced all two position switches with three position ones.
Replaced a pot with a 6 position switch.
9xtreme board with sound and RGB screen.
Added two extra push buttons.
Internal multiprotocol module with another 16 channels...

With some work this radio is awesome.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
i recommend er9x too.
Tanker ist outdated => 2014

mods of my th9x:
ar9x Board with sound and rtc
M9 Hall effect gimbals
FrySky XJT module with telemetry
and a lot more...
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

9xtreme board is no longer sold, sadly. Smartie only had the cheap basic boards in stock, and thus I went that way.

Thanks for the good advice, Rad. I'll look into further customization in the likes of what you've done into the future as well.

Edit: AR9X is also out of stock! Seems like all the good stuff is gone!

Also thanks jhamm.

:thumbup:
Last edited by SovereignZuul on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

SovereignZuul wrote:9xtreme board is no longer sold, sadly. Smartie only had the cheap basic boards in stock, and thus I went that way.

Edit: AR9X is also out of stock! Seems like all the good stuff is gone!
Yes mate, is a real pity... It seems that due to the turnigy 9xr pro dropped the price, most people has lost his interest in the plain 9x... So thats why 9xtreme, Ar9x and others are no longer produced...

I totally understand it. The 9xtreme was more expensive than a 9xr pro radio and they do more or less the same!

But! A plain 9x upgraded with the basic programmer, flashed and with the backlight is a HUGE step forward.
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

I didn't think at the time, is it worth using a lithium battery type? I've got a 2500 zippy in my stuff that I think I bought for the radio. Do you guys like using this or stick with the AA batts?
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

SovereignZuul wrote:I didn't think at the time, is it worth using a lithium battery type? I've got a 2500 zippy in my stuff that I think I bought for the radio. Do you guys like using this or stick with the AA batts?
I never ever use the AA batts. I bought a lifepo batery at hobbyking,seems to last forever.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I also went with the lipo trans packs and use them in both the 9X, the 9XR Pro and even to power the FPV system in the Hetzer.

I did all the same stuff when I got my 9X, backlight, smartie, lipo, and at the time I flashed TankER9X. Since that radio still runs the same tank and I haven't added any other models it still does the job just fine, but if I were to add tanks I think I'd go with the regular ER9X. Did you try the forum at RC Tank Australia? Kevin is a huge 9X fan and there are all kinds of firmware links at his forum.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

You might try browsing around in this forum. Since you obviously have plans for your 9X you just might find some cool stuff.

http://www.rctanksaustralia.com/forum/v ... .php?f=117

I don't think you have to be registered to look around, and if you like what you see it's a good forum. I'm also MaxU52 there, but I haven't posted anything for quite a while.

I actually just got back in touch with Kevin on a personal level and it turns out that while I was building my Hetzer he was playing around with the real thing. He sent me some of the most awesome photos of the Hetzer and I do believe I'm going to copy the hard edged camo. Here's a little teaser

Sorry to get off topic like that. But do check out what the boys Down Under are up to. There are a lot of 9X fans down there and those cats can be seriously innovative. The 9XR Pro Kevin set up for me is a seriously sweet piece of kit. With extra three position switch and more. I don't think I've ever met anyone that knows more about the 9X series than Kevin.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Max-U52 wrote:I've ever met anyone that knows more about the 9X series than Kevin.
Go to www.openrcforums.com and almost everyone there knows way more than Kevin.

The guys there are the ones that do the firmware, boards and so on. Every 4-5 days there is a new test version for the 9xr pro with new features.

Sometimes they even added features to er9x\ersky9x under my request.

Return to “Other electronics”