Halftrack steering questions

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
EddyK
Sergeant

Re: Halftrack steering questions

Post by EddyK »

Hi!
This company makes very good electronics for the halftracks. I’ve used them on my Kettenkrads.
It commands two motors and the steering servo at the same time

https://www.sgs-electronic.de/webshop/2 ... nfahrzeuge
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I wonder why to risk the bulky and expensive tamiya DMDs, when there are stamp sized and peanuts worth DMD units on aliexpress and ebay.

If I were doing a halftrack i'd make the turns with both, the tracks and a servo for steering.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

To keep it simple and cheap, you can use the transmitter channel 'mixing' facility. Set channel 1 for the steering servo. Using two motors/gearboxes, fit a ESC to each of them and assign to channels 3 & 4. You can mix 3 to mirror 4 100% so that one stick will give you forward and reverse throttle to drive both motors/tracks.

No here's the best bit. Even if the front wheels lift over a crest it will still steer. Mix channels 1 with 3 and 1 with 4 where channel 1 is the master. Set the mixes so that as the steering (ch1) turns left the right hand motor channel (say 3) increases and the left hand motor (say 4) slows and visa versa. Set those mixes to a % that works best for you. Note these mixes will still give you full proportional control.

If your transmitter doesn't have these functions just get a Skyfly i6X from Banggood.com with 10 channel receiver, around £30 (superb radio and price).

If you are using a Taigen v3 or later then you can use the receiver and Y leads to connect to the MFU and escs so you will get sound and other tank functions from the MFU, but for a half track you'd maybe do better using a truck focused light and sound module. Either way, good luck and IF you choose to go this way I'd be happy to help as its needed.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

jackalope wrote:You'll have to play with the steering rate % to get it dialed in LOTS of trial and error! Very slow going having to constantly pull the memory card, adjust it, put it back, nope not enough, then nope too much, damn not enough again, WTF too much again?, WHAT?! How is it not enough again?! F## THIS GOD DAMN TRUCK! Put in box for month to cool off. I think I wound up with my 251 set at 22% or something like that. It's been a while! I sold the truck to Dean along with my other 251's. At least I think it was Dean.
I didn't get the truck? But I got the 251 but it is in need of some TLC but have just been too damn busy with everything else... :'(
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

dgsselkirk wrote:
jackalope wrote:You'll have to play with the steering rate % to get it dialed in LOTS of trial and error! Very slow going having to constantly pull the memory card, adjust it, put it back, nope not enough, then nope too much, damn not enough again, WTF too much again?, WHAT?! How is it not enough again?! F## THIS GOD DAMN TRUCK! Put in box for month to cool off. I think I wound up with my 251 set at 22% or something like that. It's been a while! I sold the truck to Dean along with my other 251's. At least I think it was Dean.
I didn't get the truck? But I got the 251 but it is in need of some TLC but have just been too damn busy with everything else... :'(

By truck I meant the R/C 251 I built. I understand that! What you have took me about 3 years to do.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Yes, there was a lot of work put into it no question! the rubber on the wheels are crumbling so trying to think of a way to fix them all. Also want to improve turret rotation. But overall incredible work... :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov

Return to “Other electronics”