High Intensity Flash Unit

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
caddyshack
Sergeant

High Intensity Flash Unit

Post by caddyshack »

Well my High Intensity Flash Unit has stopped working. is there a way to test that unit when its not hooked up to the tank?. if so whats the wiring order to get the unit to test fire. It may well be the main unit in the tank that is playing up. But all the self checks are coming back showing no issues. So i has hoping to test the flash unit off the tank.
Last edited by caddyshack on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
sparks
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: High Intensity Flash Unit

Post by sparks »

Not sure on this one as it needs high voltage to work, can you not try it in another tank ?
Hey man....I just ride 'em, I dunno what makes 'em work.
Woof woof woof !
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

I haven't another tamyia unit to test it in. A Hl one yes ..but tamyia flash unit uses 4 wires and the Hl only 3. If anyone know a way round to test it . It would be a great help.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
sparks

Post by sparks »

Hi mate, I have a spare Tam flash unit from my Sherman project you can borrow so you can test if its the flash or MF/DMD unit.
If you want to do that, pm me your address and I'll send you it to try.
sparks
Woof woof woof !
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Wow Sparks what a great a generous offer. Shame you don't live in the same village :( . I would hate to see it get lost or damaged. So am going to have to say no to your great offer. Its only a flash unit at the end of the day. All the rest of the tank works great. It would have been nice to get it working again, but its not the end of the world if it doesn't. Thanks again Sparks :thumbup:

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
sparks

Post by sparks »

Ok mate, if you're sure, if you change your mind let me know, I'll be glad to help.
sparks
Woof woof woof !
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

The flash circuitry on the MFU has been known to fail on some batches (In my experience the Pershing ones) which Tamiya will fix for cost of return postage. I went as far as to buy brand new flash units and getting zapped by high voltage capacitors to realize the fault was the MFU itself......
Reaper332
Corporal

Post by Reaper332 »

r32 wrote:The flash circuitry on the MFU has been known to fail on some batches (In my experience the Pershing ones) which Tamiya will fix for cost of return postage. I went as far as to buy brand new flash units and getting zapped by high voltage capacitors to realize the fault was the MFU itself......
My flash unit died in my King Tiger, brought a new flash unit only find out it wasnt the problem so it must be the MFU.
Ken
r32
Lance Corporal

Post by r32 »

Yes it most likely is. I sent away two Pershing MFUs for repair, but for the life of me can't tell what component was replaced. Considering how cheap cameras are nowadays, even disposable ones, I'm sure the faulty component can be purchased much cheaper than it costs to ship the things back to Tamiya.
ausf
Lance Corporal

Post by ausf »

I just reinstalled the flash units in my Tamiyas and the Tiger flash isn't working. I took them out to put the IR in the barrels, which was cool, but my kids asked for the flash back. So after modding the M4 turret to fit the LED and setting them back up, the Tiger is dark.

After swapping them around to troubleshoot, zapping myself good, and resetting the tank, etc, there's no joy. I guess it's the MFU.

What are the warranty conditions? This thing has been here a while...
What, me worry?

Return to “Tamiya”