Tamiya DMD/MFU Recoil not switching off

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
AVATT
Recruit

Re: Tamiya DMD/MFU Recoil not switching off

Post by AVATT »

Look at the recoil unit and test the contact relay, if it works (stops the cycling of the unit) then just glue a thin strip of plasticard against the metal portion of the unit where the relay switch makes contact.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

AVATT wrote:Look at the recoil unit and test the contact relay, if it works (stops the cycling of the unit) then just glue a thin strip of plasticard against the metal portion of the unit where the relay switch makes contact.
Sounds like a reasonable piece of advice, Avatt, but it comes about eight years too late for Alan 123. ;) Personally, considering that Tamiya Tank DMD units are now approaching the £200, I wouldn't be inclined to mix and match parts with one...especially the flash unit. :problem:
We had a thread here on the possibility of using non-Tamiya xenon flashes with a Tamiya DMD/MFU.
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=24792&p=232568&hi ... it#p232568
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AVATT
Recruit

Post by AVATT »

Yes knew late to need for Alan, but just in case he still has them or someone else has the same problem. Just went thru this and when I read here that it was a faulty DMD was gravely concerned. Fortunately toying with the recoil disclosed a simple fix. Cheers!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

AVATT wrote:Yes knew late to need for Alan, but just in case he still has them or someone else has the same problem. Just went thru this and when I read here that it was a faulty DMD was gravely concerned. Fortunately toying with the recoil disclosed a simple fix. Cheers!
That reminds me, I have a photo somewhere of the printed circuit board in a DMD MFU -01. Must post it here. For anyone with a soldering iron, and a knowledge of PCBs, who happens to have a burned out resistor, or other component it could prove useful.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AVATT
Recruit

Post by AVATT »

yes please do I would greatly appreciate access to that schematic
easy8
Private

Post by easy8 »

sw4.jpg
sw4.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Basically the problem is that the board or the unit sends out a pulse to the recoil unit that is longer than the travel-time of the mechanical movement of the recoil unit. I fixed it with a small rubber ring that forces the recoil unit micro-switch to switch off after one pulse.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As promised. This is a peek inside a brand new Tamiya DMD MF-01 unit. (Fits: Tiger 1, King Tiger, and Panther)
Tamiya DMD MF-01 with case removed
Tamiya DMD MF-01 with case removed
If you click on the pic, it should enlarge sufficiently to show more detail. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

And another, for a closer look at the PCB layout:
Tamiya DMD MF-01 pcb layout
Tamiya DMD MF-01 pcb layout
Couldn't get the focus absolutely spot on. I should have used my trusty old DSLR for that. :think: :problem: Still, the pinouts are all labelled/ enumerated.
AVATT
Recruit

Post by AVATT »

Thanks Much!

Return to “Tamiya”