Mato Slip Ring in Tamiya Pershing

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
rxd0302
Recruit

Mato Slip Ring in Tamiya Pershing

Post by rxd0302 »

I have tried searching the forum to no avail. When building my Tamiya Pershing I was hoping to try and incorporate a slip ring so I get true 360 rotation. Question is, can the mato 18 wire slip ring handle the high voltage on the barrel flash or do I need to convert to a LED barrel flash?

I also want to crimp the proper JST connectors on said ring if I do the conversion. It appears to me there are 2 different JST style connectors on the MF-03 Board, does any one know what style they are? Again I'm sorry, I'm sure i can't be the first to ask this but can't seem to find the answer.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Mato Slip Ring in Tamiya Pershing

Post by abramsky »

Hello
White plugs are not JST, but 2mm MOLEX Micro Latch 511065. For CN 3 (G.FIRE) You need 2 pin - symbol 51056-0200 and for CN6 (RECOIL) 3 pin symbol 51056-0300.
I don't remember the name of this brown CN4 connector (SP. - speaker) but it's a 2.54 raster and I press the white JST XH 2.54mm there (you won't damage anything - no worries :) ).
Here you will find MOLEX Micro Latch connectors:
https://uk.farnell.com/molex/51065-0200 ... dp/2063772

When it comes to the slip ring, the problem as much as the voltage is the amount of current that flows there. There are really thin wires there. The slip ring itself holds 12-24 very closely packed tracks and with high voltage an electric breakdown (an electric arc phenomenon lasting for milliseconds) can occur - and thus a short circuit and burning of the MFU.

My 24 wire slip ring can withstand no more than 48A ( so 2A max per wire ) - 240V AC/DC. And to get a flash you need a voltage of around 360V DC (at least so much is needed in a photo camera flash ). Unfortunately, I do not remember about Ampere current level ( probably a few Ampere ). Too much for a standard slip ring IMO...

So I would recommend placing the DMD MFU in the tower I if You have space ) to bypass the slip ring, or give up the traditional FLASH in favor of the LEDs. You can also use a relay and build a circuit that triggers during the launch yourself, but if you have no experience in electronics - I do not recommend such experiments.
rxd0302
Recruit

Post by rxd0302 »

Thanks for the info. You basically confirmed my suspicion's. I knew that the high voltage likes to jump/arc, especially with real close contacts and assumed it could be an issue. If i were to switch to a LED flash where do I pick up the output to drive the LED? What is the pin out of the 4 pins on CN7? Is there a detailed pin out of these Tamiya boards somewhere? I do have electronics experience so a relay system may not be out of the question. I don't think I can get the DMD MFU in the Pershing turret either, but will look into it.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It is worth remembering that while Tamiya's electronics were as good as you could get when first they appeared that was a long time ago and other companies have produced smaller more advanced and $ for $ much cheaper alternatives since those days.
And if you do put an Elmod/IBU/Clark et al board in place in the Pershing, E-Bay is full of people ready and willing to pay good money for a Tamiya Tank MFU :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

I just remembered that it is old Tamiya electronics and plug and play LED flash connection may not be easy / possible. Unfortunately, I never felt the need to use this electronics on a RC tank model (HL 6.1 is much better), so I don't know if it will be possible. Sorry...
Try to connect the cannon and the MG:
CN3 - MG LED
CN6 - MAIN GUN RECIOL
and then analyze (and maybe take measurements) the DMD circuit around CN7 - there should be 2 capacitors (including one electrolytic 300 -400V) and a diode. I have never noticed whether the LED above CN7 only lights up during the shot ... maybe it could be used as a relay's trigger in this situation? I don't know - I never paid attention to it.
Unfortunately, I will not undertake detailed technical support. My PCB (MF-01) is probably pressed/glued into the bottom casing and won't pop out to analyze which pin is responsible for what ...
Try to find the appropriate manual in the RC tanks section. Your tank isn't there, but these DMDs are very similar to each other:
https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

Good luck :thumbup:
Last edited by abramsky on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

jarndice wrote:It is worth remembering that while Tamiya's electronics were as good as you could get when first they appeared that was a long time ago and other companies have produced smaller more advanced and $ for $ much cheaper alternatives since those days.
And if you do put an Elmod/IBU/Clark et al board in place in the Pershing, E-Bay is full of people ready and willing to pay good money for a Tamiya Tank MFU :thumbup:
Yeah. You're right. This electronics behaves and provides capabilities like the old generation HL electronics. But everyone started at some point and gained experience.
rxd0302
Recruit

Post by rxd0302 »

Thanks again for all the info. Looks like the LED you speak of is actually one of those high voltage Pilot lamps. I don't have the board wired up but my guess is it either lights when its charged or lights when it fires. Honestly barrel flash isn't a huge concern for me, neither of my HL have it since they are Airsoft versions. I do plan on adding the battle system to the Pershing so I can tangle with my HL tanks, is there any reason I can't hide the IR in the barrel instead of the clamp on mount?
Attachments
20210615_143153_resized (Medium).jpg
20210615_143153_resized (Medium).jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
indeed, I am of the opinion of friends, and would not take the risk of passing the HT in a slip ring? memory led esr green when the flash is OK and then flashes orange (it seems to me?) when recharging the capacitors. Attached photo with various information
7F407B46-7363-463F-BCDB-5C6677B7CF83.jpeg
7F407B46-7363-463F-BCDB-5C6677B7CF83.jpeg (68.82 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
I doubt that it is possible to modify the existing system? or have a remote flash, controlled by a relay and synchronized with the existing firing signal ??
it exists for the Leopard Tam. this system which can be deported and uses the same flash, but absolutely does not know if adaptable, just for information
B364AF6C-2AFA-4198-884D-1DED00659004.jpeg
B364AF6C-2AFA-4198-884D-1DED00659004.jpeg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

for the infra red led, i don't think it's a problem to place it in the barrel (muzzle brake) if you don't use flash? the trick is to find the right position by testing?
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

jarndice wrote:It is worth remembering that while Tamiya's electronics were as good as you could get when first they appeared that was a long time ago and other companies have produced smaller more advanced and $ for $ much cheaper alternatives since those days.
I would go this way you should be able to sell the Tamiya DMD, MFU and flash for enough money to replace them with an after market board which would give you the option of adding a lot more functions

Return to “Tamiya”