Tamiya convert 2 channel to 4 channel

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
alanburton1960
Recruit

Tamiya convert 2 channel to 4 channel

Post by alanburton1960 »

Hi Eveyone

I'm very new to the group so if I've posted my question in the wrong area please let me as I'm happy to learn and fix.

I've started building the Tamiya M4 Sherman 1/16 tank and I'm seeking advice on how to do the wiring upgrade, taking the tank from 2 channels to a 4 channel model. I found the instructions posted by Tamiya a little difficult to understand so I'm reluctant to progress for fear of doing damage or the tank not working.

If someone could point me in the right direction to find comprehensive instructions so that I can do the upgrade I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you
Alan
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tamiya convert 2 channel to 4 channel

Post by jarndice »

Hi and welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap: Here is your first true introduction to your new hobby, IT COSTS MONEY !!!
Your six year old Tamiya electronics just will not do and converting to a more modern Tamiya or aftermarket system will cost you but it really is essential if you want an all singing Tamiya Sherman.
There was a time that Tamiya electronics were the market leader but they have been overtaken and then some, The Tank physically is more accurate than the competition but the electrics not so much :thumbdown:
Check the forum for the different builds and you will quickly see what is needed to bring your Tank up to scratch.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
alanburton1960
Recruit

Post by alanburton1960 »

Thank you for your quick response. :-) LOL imagine more money required, that's okay all hobbies cost and I would very much like to build a state of the art model. Thanks once again and I will check out the different builds.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

What exactly do you have in the box? The Tamiya Sherman has been capable of 4 channel operation for the better part of 20 years - if you bought this new 6 years ago, all you should need is a basic 4 channel radio with analogue trims.

The thing to look for is the model number on the DMD - if it is a T-01, then you have the old 2 channel kit from over 20 years ago, which will require a whole bunch of extra parts to add the turret traverse and gun elevation. If you have a T-05 and an MF-02, then you have the 4 channel model.

(The full option Sherman was unique in that you could plug a little widget into the system somewhere that would enable you to use the 4 channels of the DMD with a 2 channel radio by way of playing with the trim tabs, but I don't know of anyone who ever used that feature (I certainly binned mine) - is this the source of your question?)
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D

good evening, indeed it would be nice to understand what exactly you want? if you only have one module? Does that mean that you only have propulsion, to have other functions it is necessary to have 2 modules?
https://www.tamiya.com/english/robocon/ ... md_t03.htm
alanburton1960
Recruit

Post by alanburton1960 »

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I will try an give you a little more detail on my situation.
I have the MF-02 Multifunction Unit and a TO5 DMD control unit and I purchased an Attack 4WD remote control unit. I downloaded 1/16 R/C Sherman - Upgrade to 4 channels instructions but I'm having trouble following the instructions. I find it confusing as the Tamiya manual which came with the kit is for a two channel unit.

I guess what I need is a wiring diagram that clearly shows where all the wires go and what plug goes where for a 4 channel Tamiya 1/16 RC Sherman Tank.

As you can see I'm very new to RC models but I am determined to get this model right and increase my knowledge on RC models.

Your patience and assistance are appreciated.

Kind Regards
Alan
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you look at the top bar of this page you will see "DOWNLOADS" The Tamiya Manual for the Sherman 105 is there to download and it has all the pictures and words that describe where everything goes.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,
the easiest way is to determine your desired piloting mode, and locate the corresponding outputs on the receiver, to do this, install 4 servos on the receiver and manipulate the sticks, see who does what, and different according to the brand
attached a link which should help
https://customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id92.htm
Désolé,English no perfect :'(
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Here, more explicit, just have to follow scrupulously what is indicated, personally the first time also had difficulty, there will be just 2 functions which will be done by the intermediary of the joysticks adjustment of the trimmers, but also explained.

https://customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id77.htm
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

If you are using a Futaba radio, then instructions in the Tamiya manual on our downloads page should be all you need. The wires are colour coded, and the manual explains which wire goes where.
Not sure why yours come with a 2 channel manual, as this will not cover the turret mechanisms and their associated parts? Or did you get this 2nd hand from somebody who had started collecting parts with the intention of upgrading an older kit?

Other radio brands such as Spektrum are subtly different in their channel nomenclature, and then you can throw in mode 1 vs mode 2 radio configurations for extra added complexity - but Tamiya instructions assume you are using Futaba, so you should be free of this confusion.
(If having driven it, you then decide you want to have the throttle and gun controls switched around so that all of the chassis controls are on one stick and all of the turret controls are on the other, then its an easy job to swap those 2 connectors around at the receiver - this is another commonly asked question, due to the majority of the manufactures tanks being set up on their transmitters this way)

Return to “Tamiya”