Tamiya convert 2 channel to 4 channel

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
alanburton1960
Recruit

Re: Tamiya convert 2 channel to 4 channel

Post by alanburton1960 »

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their help with the wiring configuration of my Tamiya RC Sherman tank. I do sincerely thank you because I know it takes patience to help newbies like me!! lol

I can tell you that this morning I have started up my tank and I now have, lights, canon, machine gun, sound, turret, gun elevation and engines working like a dream. It's extremely satisfying to have everything working like a charm and I appreciated everyone's input

Now, does any one have any suggestions on the tank motors? I have no doubt that the existing motors are very good but I do like to have plenty of power/torque so I'm always open to suggestions on how to upgrade my machine.

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge with me.

Kind Regards

Alan
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

The motors are plenty good enough, bigger ones will likely just cause something to break in the gearboxes (which are not cheap to replace!). If you want to tinker, the rear idlers are usually the first thing to need fixing, the brackets on the inside of the hull are comically small and soon distort. Get some steel sheet and drill and tap to make a larger plate.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

I agree with Tiger 6's opinion, the weakest point on the M4 Tamiya is the track tension system, personally, given the space available, I would keep the current engines, moreover if you have no metal caterpillars, risk breakage of certain elements. Browse the Tamiya section of this forum and the various posts on Shermans, you will learn a lot. :thumbup:
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

And putting metal tracks on the Sherman will further increase the stress on the gearboxes (and the idlers).

Getting all giddy and throwing on a bunch of metal widgets and gewgaws is all well and good for a static model or an occasional runner, but if you want a reliable outdoor 'daily driver' or a battler it can rapidly become an expensive game of whack-a-mole as you chase the breakages around the tank. Some times its best to heed the words of Colin Chapman - 'add lightness'.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

alanburton1960 wrote:Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their help with the wiring configuration of my Tamiya RC Sherman tank. I do sincerely thank you because I know it takes patience to help newbies like me!! lol

I can tell you that this morning I have started up my tank and I now have, lights, canon, machine gun, sound, turret, gun elevation and engines working like a dream. It's extremely satisfying to have everything working like a charm and I appreciated everyone's input

Now, does any one have any suggestions on the tank motors? I have no doubt that the existing motors are very good but I do like to have plenty of power/torque so I'm always open to suggestions on how to upgrade my machine.

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge with me.

How very satisfying to have a plan come together,
Now get used to your M4 and then find someone with an M4 it does not matter if it is a Taigen/Heng Long or another Tamiya as long as these Tanks have an IBU2 or an Elmod Fusion or an ASP2 aftermarket board and see what these MFUs are able to offer that your obsolete Tamiya board cannot give you.
I promise it will open your eyes :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

And if anyone wants to give me their 'obsolete' Tamiya boards and flash units, I will be more than happy to relieve them of their 'burden' :haha:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Tiger6 wrote:And if anyone wants to give me their 'obsolete' Tamiya boards and flash units, I will be more than happy to relieve them of their 'burden' :haha:
:haha: hello Tiger, I have DMD set for KT Tam, flash and some accessories, but in France :'(
alanburton1960
Recruit

Post by alanburton1960 »

Thank you for your responses .......as a model which will spend most of its life being static I will concentrate on the appearance and not the engines. :D

Thanks everyone :-)
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D wise resolution, :thumbup: on the other hand I would give a advice, to unplug the battery of propulsion and to recharge it from time to time, and to remove the batteries from the emitter, will avoid trouble to come. Enjoy your tank. :wave:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Whenever you plan to leave a 1/16 r/c Tank in one position for any length of time it is important that the whole weight of the body of the Tank is not allowed to rest on the suspension because irreparable damage can be caused to the suspension. :thumbdown:
This is most important with Tanks with Torsion bar suspension (Tigers and Panthers) because the "Spring" will be lost,
I place a small block of wood under any Tank that is going to "Stand" :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Tamiya”