Tamiya LED for mg.

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
Winalot
Private

Tamiya LED for mg.

Post by Winalot »

Hi
i am new to this forum, having just purchased my first Tamiya 1:16 tank, the Pershing M26.
i am very pleased so far. I notice that there is a hole in the main gun mantlet for the coaxial MG. Is it possible to fit a second LED in this hole to show the flash through. I’m sure it’s physically possible but I’m not sure whether I can couple another LED with the existing one.
has anyone done this before. I an get another led on line but I don’t want to damage the pcb.
Regards
winalot
"It’s not despair that kills you, but hope" John Cleese
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tamiya LED for mg.

Post by Tiger6 »

You can wire it in parallel (not series, they won't get enough voltage) with out issue, I've been doing it for years.

Don't forget to read the instructions in your registration confirmation email, and go make a post in the introductions thread 8)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello there Mr Winalot.
To answer some questions, it would help if we knew a little about yourself. Although you say you're new to this forum, which is obvious, we don't know if you're new to the hobby, or Radio Control in general.
However, it would be convenient for all concerned were you to make an introduction in the introduction section like it was suggested within your welcome message. This way, we would know your knowledge, and be able to adjust our replies to suit, also, knowing where in the world you are (no need for actual address), just the country would help to guide you to more reliable vendors should you need anything.

Thank you.
Mick, on behalf of the forum team.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Winalot
Private

Post by Winalot »

Hi Son of a Gunner
Yes sorry , I should have done that, but can’t seem to find how to go back and do that!
W
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

viewforum.php?f=42 - here you go :)
Winalot
Private

Post by Winalot »

Thanks Tiger 6
So if I pick up a Tamiya MG led from any tank? I can splice it in parallel to the bow gun, with no problems? Would be easier if there was an adaptor 2 into 1 for the plug. Are they available, if not, I will solder it. In a past life I was a telecoms engineer, but long before anyone had heard of microchips etc.
W
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

any 3mm LED (apart from white - they tend to draw a lot of power) wired in parallel should work. I tend to connect the original led wire to a set of screw terminals, and the hook up the LED's in parallel from there, just so that I can separate the turret from the hull - one thing I have learned over the last 15 years is that you will have to climb back into the tank to fix something eventually...
Winalot
Private

Post by Winalot »

Thanks
Do you think that Tamiya intended or planned for a MG in the mantlet, of the Pershing, and i assume probably the Sherman, as there is a hole right through the assembly of the mantlet into the turret?
It is an important feature of the tank. Initially the Sherman had 2 fixed .30 cal in the bow as well as the co drivers, but these were discontinued early in production. I can never understand what good a .30cal coaxial was! Deterant from frontal attack perhaps but it couldn’t be aimed much or even traced as to its direction easily, don’t know.
I had a jeep Willy’s 1943 at one time, with a .30 cal on a mount. It’s damned heavy, so as for John Wayne picking up a .50 and firing from the hip! Don’t think so lol.
W
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Winalot,
Otherwise there is the solution if a free channel on the RX ? To use an electronic inverter,either hull or turret machine gun with inter command this channel....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfp0kDR2OHY
Winalot
Private

Post by Winalot »

Answering my own question, I’m certain that the Tamiya Pershing turret was designed to accept an LED as I tried the hole in the mantle, and it clicks in there perfectly. I will try the options you have suggested.
Tanks to all.
W

Return to “Tamiya”