Tamiya MFU issues with LIPO Batteries?

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Tamiya MFU issues with LIPO Batteries?

Post by Max-U52 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: The reason Tamiya does not recommend lipos, besides they refuse to update themselves, is the same as why Erik-Taigen-Imex recommends Nimhs, and that is because most potential buyers are either children or people with no knowledge at all in batteries, and last thing they want is people setting fire to the house because they overdischarge or charged wrong a lipo. That is it all, don't look for more reasons like volts and amperes, that is the only reason and they even admitted that.
I can definitely confirm this. Unfortunately, we live in an age where people are ready to sue you for blinking your eyes so that has to be a real concern for large corporations. Lawyers are very expensive.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

My Tamiya KT has a 2c LIPO no problems so far. Its a hard case version , will it turn into a demolition charge for the MFU :O
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

No :D
If the electronics not suitable for monitoring the voltage drop ( irreversible :O ) except for the ekectronic,IBu,Elmod, etc advised to install an alarm,well.Used,charged,no worries ( no short circuit :thumbdown: risk explosion )otherwise whether Wnicd,Nimh,or others if the voltage is within the manufacturer's opérating range
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3XP29Ps_Jg
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Voltage drop monitoring is one failing with the Tamiya MFU , lost one LIPO when i forgot to switch tank off.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Yes,
But will always be a failure :O 8O (Tamiya or others) on any system,not equiped whit original automatic shut down system !!!if we forget to turn off ?if I forget to turn them.of headlights of my car ? It's the same :crazy:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Jofaur86 wrote:Yes,
But will always be a failure :O 8O (Tamiya or others) on any system,not equiped whit original automatic shut down system !!!if we forget to turn off ?if I forget to turn them.of headlights of my car ? It's the same :crazy:
If I forget to turn off the lights on my car two things occur,
The battery goes flat and the car will not start the next day BUT it won't catch fire !!!
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

:'( it's been 10 years that a Lipo 3 S 5000 mah HS in an iron box,and still not caught fire :O but hey I.m not going to argue with that :wave:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I've been using lipos for about 5 years with no fires, but LiPO batteries are something that you absolutely can not get complacent with. As soon as you think you know what you're doing they will sneak up and bite you. That's why, to this day, I religiously practice all the safety rules when I charge a lipo battery. We all saw the tragedy that happened to Chris Ludwig, that's the last thing we want to see happen to any of our other members.

Don't get me wrong, I think lipos are great, but they're not average batteries and they're not for average consumers. Dedicated hobbyists, such as ourselves, know a bit more about batteries and will take better safety precautions than the Great unwashed. I don't blame any of the major companies for not recommending lipos because as I said before, lawyers are very expensive and defending lawsuits takes up too much time that could be used designing new tanks and tank parts to keep us happy.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:I've been using lipos for about 5 years with no fires, but LiPO batteries are something that you absolutely can not get complacent with. As soon as you think you know what you're doing they will sneak up and bite you. That's why, to this day, I religiously practice all the safety rules when I charge a lipo battery. We all saw the tragedy that happened to Chris Ludwig, that's the last thing we want to see happen to any of our other members.

Don't get me wrong, I think lipos are great, but they're not average batteries and they're not for average consumers. Dedicated hobbyists, such as ourselves, know a bit more about batteries and will take better safety precautions than the Great unwashed. I don't blame any of the major companies for not recommending lipos because as I said before, lawyers are very expensive and defending lawsuits takes up too much time that could be used designing new tanks and tank parts to keep us happy.
I'm still wondering what the Tamiya MFU 'issues' are with Lipos. As yet- in this instance- we don't know :|
Gary, I'm with you on never allowing complacency to creep in, when maintaining LiPo batteries, and I was about to cite Christian's tank inferno as a timely warning to all. :think:
I'm fairly diligent by nature, but with age, I've noticed a few extra accidents (luckily, not in the pants :haha: ) creeping in, and little oversights here and there. For this reason, and not wanting to begin living in a tent, amid the smouldering ruins of ma hoose, I'm content to stick with high capacity NiMh batteries. Then again, we also have limitations on getting batteries through the post in the UK.
Not so many years ago, we had several reported scares concerning 'Laptop' LiPo batteries, where users were having their thighs toasted or scorched (or nuts in the case of some males 8O ), because of batteries overheating.
Whilst tech has improved- and needs to, if we're all going to be running around in electric cars, LiPos still need treating with great respect- and 'fake' ones avoided like the plague. :eh: trouble is, they're all too abundant on Ebay, and elsewhere.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Tamiya”