Questions re DMD-MF01 and T-03 connections

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
BlueWotsit57
Private

Questions re DMD-MF01 and T-03 connections

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

My latest challenge in my learning curve is working on a Tamiya Tiger 1 early model. The attached image shows the connections in place and not touched yet !!

Q1
Most of the connectors seem self apparent from what I have read online BUT the connection 2nd from left and below SW1 suggests it is wired for a Battle Unit. Would this just be the case of fitting one of the "apples" in the turret or would there in likelihood be more connections necessary ?

Q2
No TX or RX came with the tank so I am looking to install a spare 6 channel RX I have along with a spare 2.4ghz TX Futaba T6L. Will 2.4ghz work ok, I think previously it must have been on 27/40 mhz because of the metal aerial installed.

With this combination is it just a case of connecting the 4 cables marked CH1, CH2, CH3, CH4 into the relevant channels on the RX and things will work - or will calibration of things be needed ?

There seems to be a distinct lack of information in the manual and online regarding this

Q3
Is there any reason why the "startup channel" cable whichever one that is, could not be allocated to the channel on this TX which is connected to the rotary switch, or does it need to remain on one of the throttle channels ?

thanks
Andrew
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Questions re DMD-MF01 and T-03 connections

Post by Tiger6 »

2.4 Ghz will work, calibration procedure should be in the manual, if not go and look at the manual for the M4 105 Sherman that is posted somewhere on this forum (not all manuals have it in the main instructions document, but the original Sherman one definitely does).

From memory the channels should correspond to those on the rx on a Futaba, but you may have to shuffle them around until you get the functions on your preferred sticks. You need to use just the sticks and not any extra switches or rotary knobs.

There is no startup channel, the tank will automatically start when it detects that the receiver has a signal - be extremely careful that you have the throttle stick centred, otherwise your tank may suddenly charge off. Read the set up procedure carefully, as this is the bit people get wrong and conclude the tank doesn't work.

The TBU plugs into the 5 pin port, and the IR emitter into the 2 pin port next to it (you need to remove the empty plugs to fit them, in case you hadn't already figured that out). DO NOT plug the IR emitter into the other 2 pin port ( labelled CN5) - this will fry the diode. If you buy the whole box of bits (i.e. not just the plastic apple on its own) this will come with the base and wiring loom that plugs straight in to the MF unit (as well as the IR LED).
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

:P The tank will work with any 4 channel tx and its matching rc. You may find that you need to swap channels around till you get the configuration you want. My Tamiya Tiger manual had a section on calibration. I can't remember the precise sequence unfortunately. It was a while ago. I have just found it. It is page 18 of the manual, which can be downloaded as a pdf file from the download section of the forum.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Thanks guys for the useful information

I have both sticks on this TX spring loaded so hopefully that will address the possible problem about the tank charging off !!!

Didn't realise that the engine would start automatically, guess thats what comes of other tanks being Heng Long where the button has to be pushed

Tiger6 taking on board what you said about the TBU, I would hazard a guess that this is most likely only partially installed then in the absence of an IR emitter in the socket alongside (there is a small socket inside one of the turret hatches so I guess the apple would go into that).
Can the emitter be purchased on its own does anyone know or does it need to be the entire kit, and where would that be mounted ?

Point noted about using the correct CH socket -- what is the CH5 socket for ?

Richard - I had not realised there was a download section with manuals in it - will have to go and find this

Where I am still a little confused taking onboard Tiger6s comment about sticks only - how would the guns be fired - on the Heng Long TXs I have to use either a switch or switch and button

thanks
Andrew
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

To fire the guns on the Tamiya Tiger, you use the elevation stick. It depends whether you have manual or digital trims on your tx. Basically, the main gun fires when you quickly move the stick to full up and the machine gun to full down. I only know how to make the digital adjustments on my FlySky but hopefully someone here will know your Futaba. The emitter is just an IR Led, cheap as chips. I wired up my own and fitted inside the turret rather than having the standard Tamiya unit that clips on the barrel
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Hi Richard

Manual trims - me and digital ones never got on :)

Another bit of knowledge now attained thanks
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

If I recall correctly, put the elevator manual trim full up when you want to fire the main gun and full down for the machine gun. Once the trim is set, you still need to fire using the stick. I think it is covered in the manual.
Richard
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A work in progress is my 'Tamiya Tank Info' file, I began a little while back. It's meant to be a quick reference guide that members can add bits of knowhow, and wisdom to. If you scroll down, you'll see a brace of wiring diagrams that might help you a bit. :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=29484&p=285100&hil ... le#p285100

Edit: this is one setup I used on the Futuba 4YWD. Tamiya rebranded this TX/RX and issued it with their Full-Option models. In order to get the controls to replicate the Taigen/HL/ Mato configuration I was accustomed to (Throttle/Drive/Turn on the right stick, with Turret and gun functions on the left):
Tamiya Channel positions
To Futuba
T-03 TX Futuba RX
Turret (Ch 4) to Ch 4B
Rudder (Ch 1) to Ch 1
Throttle (Ch 2) to Ch 3
M.Gun (Ch 3) to Ch 2

Normally, to fire the MG and Main gun with the Futuba you need to move the left Trim control up before moving the stick up into firing position, and ditto (but down) for the MG.
These days. Tamiya offer the Carson 6-ch RX with their models. Carson and Futuba 4YWDs will work without any tweaking needed- in most cases. :D Famous last words.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

super thanks for this 43rd
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

As a follow on from this the Transmitter worked straight away

The only strange thing from all its default settings is firing the guns

The manual says push the trim either full down or full up, the flick the control left control stick either up or down

I am finding (which makes it a lot easier) is that I can leave the trim in the centre position and just move the control stick either up or down to get the respective gun to fire - cannot work out why this should be though - not that Im complaining :D

Return to “Tamiya”