King Tiger electronics problem with machine gun and recoil

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
BlueWotsit57
Private

King Tiger electronics problem with machine gun and recoil

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Hi everyone

My son was given a King Tiger full option kit for Christmas and has assembled it superbly.

The tank moves in all directions fine

The turret rotates and elevates fine

The engine noises are very good.

However he cannot for any obvious reason get the machine gun to operate or the barrel to recoil.

He has checked and rechecked the wiring, researched online, tried different TX RX combinations all with no joy.

The one exception to this being a switch on one of the control modules when he moved it, saw an orange I think he said LED flashing on and off for the machine gun - the problem being though that it did this even without the TX being operated, it just flashed continually.

Tried to find manuals for the 2 control units, but again no luck.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or guidance as to what he can try next.

Thanks
Andrew
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: King Tiger electronics problem with machine gun and reco

Post by Jake79 »

Hi Andrew

What transmitter are you using..

Jake
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Hiya

He has tried two different ones - i would need to check to get exact models but from memory one was

Carson 2.4gz

and the other was a Japanese 2.4gz that he has used with his model boats and cars before.

Both have at least 4 channel operation.

Got an old futaba 40mhz system somewhere lying around so intend to get it charged up ready for when he next visits tomorrow

cheers
Andrew
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Jake79

Post by Jake79 »

I also had a similar problem, first I made sure I had the right tx/rx combination then it was simply solved by moving the right trim up for mg fire and down for cannon fire...I use the the planet t5 which has analog trims..if your trims are digital then I assume you would have to programme them in..

Jake
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

I know one of the TX has manual trims not sure on the other will get him to check

Do you know the proceedure to self test the units ?

cheers
Andrew
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
billpe

Post by billpe »

Here's the DMD manual: http://www.tamiya.com/english/robocon/r ... md_t03.htm. The MFU has a self test but need to find the manual. I had a bookmark for it but can't find it.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

BlueWotsit57 wrote:I know one of the TX has manual trims not sure on the other will get him to check

Do you know the proceedure to self test the units ?

cheers
Andrew
Hi blue, it's extremely unlikely there is an issue with the electronics. The best fix I've found is to recalibrate your controller but when you are setting the extents of the stick which controls the main gun fire and machine gun fire, only move the stick to 70%. This means you don't need to move the trim up and down to fire.
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

thank you guys for the input, will show this to my son when he is next up and report back
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

what a few weeks we have had with this flu virus - anyways my boy ran the self test routine today and that seemed to work ok.

This really suggests it is the TX and calibration that is causing the issues. So now he has to start saving again for a new TX unit :(
Muscleflex
Lance Corporal

Post by Muscleflex »

I picked up my King Tiger today. At first the recoil was not working either but I could hear the recoil motor running everytime it fired.
I opened it up when I got home this afternoon and discovered that the main gun was not screwed onto the recoil arm motor.
So I unscrewed as much as I could to get to the main gun's end and the recoil arm and managed to screw them together and put the assembly back in the turret (not as easy as the Tiger 1!)
Anyway, now it's not working and I don't hear the recoil motor working. I must have touched something... it's definitely plugged in but the recoil motor is not working. I have calibrated the tx and the dmd unit.
I even tried my Tiger 1's turret assembly against the King Tiger's DMD unit and that one fires and works fine... but the King Tiger's just won't. I hope I didn't kill the recoil unit. :(

Return to “Tamiya”