Very unusual help request

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Very unusual help request

Post by sassgrunt »

I have wanted to build a Soviet railcar for several years, now. It is basically an armored trolley with a KV-1 turret on top. Here is a link to a 1/72 model of it:

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/H ... review.htm

I am going to use two power trucks from a large-scale Bachmann locomotive (the motors look like 380's), a Tamiya turret, and the electronics from a Tamiya M26 Pershing.

My problem is this - normal tank motor connections allow either drive motor to work independently of the other one, for turns/spins. But in this model, both power trucks need to go the same direction at the same speed. I was thinking that I could just connect both motors to one electronic motor control, but I don't know if that's too much juice for one motor-control. And then, what would I do with the other (unused) motor control?

If there is no way to hook up the Tamiya electronics in some way, my only other thought is to construct a "guide" of some sort for the radio stick, so that it can only move front-to-back, and not side-to-side.

Thank you for any thoughts anyone may have...I am way out of my league when dealing with electronics. -Mike
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Very unusual help request

Post by tomhugill »

A thought, why not just connect the throttle channel? Then the motors will only go forward or backward.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Thank you for the thought. If you're saying to connect the throttle channel of the radio to the motors, then that brings two things to mind. First, it would need some kind of ESC in between the motors and the receiver to control the speed. Second, doing it like that will completely bypass the Pershing DMD/MF units, so it won't have the corresponding engine noise.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi have you considered using a RC2HL or an RC5HL unit from RCtanks Australia you replace the hl reciever with this unit, but keep the HL MFU and then using a standard 2.4 hobby grade transmitter you can choose what channels on the MFU to use ie. throttle but not steering. to achieve what you need and still keep all the MFU engine sounds.
For instance on my trailblazer I used an RC5HL connected to the HL mfu for all motor functions and sounds, and then mixed the other channels on separate switches for the front and rear dozer blades, the turret rotation on the MFU jib rotation thus keeping the sound and a separate channel for the raising and lowering of the jib.
I have 3 off these units and found they give me a choice of combinations on mixing channels on my tanks. the last one cost $34 with free P&P
if this info is of any help
Regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

sassgrunt wrote:Thank you for the thought. If you're saying to connect the throttle channel of the radio to the motors, then that brings two things to mind. First, it would need some kind of ESC in between the motors and the receiver to control the speed. Second, doing it like that will completely bypass the Pershing DMD/MF units, so it won't have the corresponding engine noise.
Hey sas my solution would be connect one power boogie to the left motor cobbector on the dmd and the other to the right. If you don't connect the steering channel you'll get forward and backwards motion starting at the same time and still get engine noise. Then you can still connect the turret functions like you would a tank.

Return to “Tamiya”