Solar Power RC Tank

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
dimomolan
Recruit

Solar Power RC Tank

Post by dimomolan »

Hi,

I've just bought a Tamiya 1/35 R/C WWII German PANZER IV Tank.
I would like to use solar power to power it...

I was wondering if anyone out there knows if this would be possible and if so how to go by doing it?

I'd much appreciate any feedback on the topic :) :{
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Solar Power RC Tank

Post by jarndice »

Hi, I would be surprised if the 1/35 Tamiya PZ4 could be used as there is very little flat area and the overall size of the PZ4 in comparison to other Tanks of WW11 makes it one of the smallest medium Tanks in service, and I do think 1/35 is expecting a lot from a very small scale, even 1/16 which is the usual scale on this forum, although many of us do model 1/24 and 1/35 as well. If you could get it to work I reckon you would need a 1/16 Tank with a lot of surface area such as the engine hatches of the Tiger and T34 but the most likely contenders would be post WW11 Tanks such as the Abrams and Leo with very large expanses of flat surface behind the Turret. I wish you good luck. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
dimomolan
Recruit

Post by dimomolan »

Thanks for the reply Shaun!

Just so you know, I do not mind too much about aesthetics.. Do you think the 1/35 would be too small/weak in terms of being able to handle the weight of the solar panel?

Also, my main concern is to extend the battery life of the tank so it can be powered for at least 2 hours.. Do you think there is a better way of doing this?

Thanks again for your help :)
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

My first thought is no, photovoltaic cells don't produce a lot of current for their size. Your better of investing an a decent small lipo or nimh batteries.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I possess almost no knowledge about Solar power but to power a model Tank with one or more would in my worthless opinion require something in the 1/6 scale or larger with a large enough area to allow for the panel to be as big as the rolling chassis could sustain, I really doubt that enough energy could be generated to power the motors but who amongst us actually knows? Take no notice of my doubts after all I am basing my certainty on being a multi-millionaire by Friday week on me winning the National lottery!!!!!!! Well I might :crazy: . shaun
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Wasn't there a build where the guy used solar panels ? Though I think it was just to power the multitude of cameras he had on board... if I recall the tank was still powered by batteries

ALPHA
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Excuse me ALPHA just what would a resident of the Hawaiian Islands possibly know about solar energy in comparison to those of us suffering constant heatstroke in the United Kingdom? :haha: shaun
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jarndice wrote:Excuse me ALPHA just what would a resident of the Hawaiian Islands possibly know about solar energy in comparison to those of us suffering constant heatstroke in the United Kingdom? :haha: shaun
Absolutely nothing lol Shaun... :haha: :haha: ...all I know about the sun is ..with the depletion of the ozone layer it isn't wise to be exposed to it for too long :D
It is also the reason I mentioned that post... there might be more info on what the guy used :haha: :haha:
Mostly because you all really don't want to hear my opinions on solar power :haha:

Pirozhki Comrade ShaunImage

ALPHA
dimomolan
Recruit

Post by dimomolan »

Hey Guys, Thanks so much for the feedback..

I think I will try the two 9V batteries.
The solar power option would be extra cool because ideally I'd like the tank to run forever :)..

You see the reason I need them, Is that I'm creating a miniature scale town for the tank to drive around in , and I thought I could use grow lights to power the Solar powered tank.. That's why it needs to be 1/35 because any larger the buildings/town would be way too big.

I also want to stick a camera on it, one that's battery powered and can stream onto your computer or even better straight onto the internet.. Any suggestions on a nice small wireless video camera that's cheaper than a go pro?

Sounds pretty crazy, but I thought it was worth a dig..

It seems most RC tanks about have short run times .. IS it because their engines cant handle it? I dont get why technology hasnt overcome this seemingly primitive problem.

Once again thanks so much for the help !!!!!!! and sorry for being such a novice
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, I have absolutely no idea how practical this might be, but seeing how the Tank would be operating over a limited area, have you thought of gutting the interior of the Tank and running it fitted out with a SCALEXTRIC pick up on a scalextric track? Just a thought :crazy: shaun

Return to “Tamiya”